Author Topic: Nobel wheel bolts.  (Read 3404 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Nobel wheel bolts.
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:47:55 PM »
I'm in need of a dozen Nobel wheel bolts, did anyone ever get some new ones made? I guess if there was enough demand I could get a batch made.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Nobel wheel bolts.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Bob, I assume you have asked Mike Ayriss who oversees the Nobel Register.  I don't think he watches the Forum but I know he gets a lot of bits and bobs re-manufactured for Nobels.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »
I did email him , no reply as yet.  I dare say I will have to come up with my own solution, after all they are only M12x1.50 pitch threaded bolts but do happen to have a shoulder about .5mm larger od than the threaded part. AS the center of the wheel is held central by the drum I cant see why an ordinary bolt wouldnt do just as well. Any observations anyone?

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
What is the thickness of the drum? You could have some step washers made to fit the bolt and the hole in the drum.
1958 FriskySport

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Mark, yes, the same idea of shoulder washers popped into my head today whilst working, I wouldnt have to HAVE them made though, I spend half my life on lathe! It will be boring turning up 12 of them but I guess it must be done!

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »
It always comes in handy to have lathes and mills to make what you need. I even made my own key blanks for our Frisky ;D
1958 FriskySport

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
I did communicate with Mike about this recently.
There are none to be had for the moment.
I suggest that you figure out a clever - more time/ cost economical way of getting a batch made.
Can it be more economical to set up a c and c lathe, and then let it churn them out while you are sleeping?
I'll guess that a batch of about 50 would sell themselves within a few months of the word getting out.
Perhaps you could help solve the shortage, and then make Mike the keeper of the lot for distribution to needy parties.
Would it help for interested parties to be first contacted and deposits taken, or would that just complicate things?

While your at it, why don't you come up with a way to weld up some Nobel wheels.  I'll reckon a batch size of about 20 of those should get sold off in fairly short order, as I myself would go for three of them.

And then there is the problem of world hunger for you to look in to. 
But solve the above two shortages first, and then  we will surely be in a good space to solve that one also.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
I did email him , no reply as yet.  I dare say I will have to come up with my own solution, after all they are only M12x1.50 pitch threaded bolts but do happen to have a shoulder about .5mm larger od than the threaded part. AS the center of the wheel is held central by the drum I cant see why an ordinary bolt wouldnt do just as well. Any observations anyone?
Looking at my somewhat rusted examples it appears that the peak of the threads is within a couple of thousandths of an inch of the shoulder width.
Aren't we splitting hairs here?  wouldn't an epoxy paint such as POR 15, chrome plating, or a layer of metal tape make up for this difference, if it need be made up at all, considering how tightly the drum centers the wheel?
Or were the threads rolled and thus extruded outward from the original diameter of the bolts?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
Yep. My point too. The shoulder is barely bigger on the OD than the threaded part. Mike has sold me the remainder of his second hand bolts so now I'm only four short and I'm just going to use M12x1.5 pitch thread bolts or set screws. It would be nice if someone did get a batch made maybe in stainless, I'm not even altogether sure the grade will be that important either as there are six whacking great bolts holding on each tiny eight inch wheel.