Author Topic: Electric LSR car  (Read 15448 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Electric LSR car
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23071190

A great achievement and hopefully an indication of what may be in the future, but I still feel that electric cars will remain a minority until range, heating and re-charging are addressed.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Electric LSR car
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
...and meanwhile...Hybrid Planes: electric taxiing under development, what a great idea; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22992654
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:35:53 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23071190

A great achievement and hopefully an indication of what may be in the future, but I still feel that electric cars will remain a minority until range, heating and re-charging are addressed.

This does not prove anything other than electricity is really good stuff in a burst of power. When they have a standard class saloon that can go over the Alps and get to the sea, get charged up over the period of an office meeting, and return we can say the electric car can replace the ICE. Until then its a niche market, accept it, get over it, there is better technology out there, until or unless Governments are going to help fit the infrastructure. Cannot help feeling metal runners in the road and linear motors would then not be a more economical, durable and longer lasting infrastructure.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
Take the blinkers off Al.

If you want to go to America you don't moan because cars can't fly.
It's horses for courses.

Millions of people drive a few miles to work or school-run etc.  They often use a vehicle capable of reaching Spain -  across country and going over mountains.  A bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

You don't build the QE2 to get to France just because you might go to Australia one day.  Much smaller boats can get you to France every day.

One answer is to use a small electric car for local trips and commuting but have a bigger car, perhaps Internal combustion, for long trips.
If you don't do long trips often then hire a vehicle when you need it.

Where do you store these vehicles - there are solutions and many families already have a few cars - some not capable of reaching Spain (by ferry).

For overall performance similar to an internal combustion engine we must wait for Hydrogen cell development perhaps.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Save your breath Barry, my wiz is running proof of your argument, three and a half years of ownership now, used every day, runs on peanuts! [there's a joke there somewhere}  now I wouldnt be without it unless a Twizzy turned my head.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:41:57 PM »
Saw a wiz humming along the country roads near us in Sufflok yesterday.  Don't often see them outside the smoke.

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
Electric cars have their uses but my beef with them is that, whilst they are clean and emit no pollutants, their power source (ie. electricity) does - either burning of ever depleting fossil fuels (instant pollution) or nuclear waste (future legacy issues). To my mind hydrogen power is the way to go. Hydrogen is the most abundant energy source in our universe after all...
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
Perhaps using Hydrogen at the power station rather than in individual fuel cells in cars?
The Sun has worked fairly well over the last few years converting Hydrogen to Helium - could be a good experiment.  BANG! and we won't have to worry about any microcars anymore!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »
This is an old chestnut on this forum Pete. RE electric cars still burning fossil fuel at the power station, if I had a pound for every time I have heard that I would have , well about £25!  ;D  The fact is that you can choose to buy power to charge your car from renewable sources if you wish, .it also pollutes about 60% less by burning its fuel at a power stations than if it was burning fuel in the carits self. It also takes the pollution away from inner cities where it is the most dangerous, especially for children. I didnt actually buy mine for eco reasons, its just a local run about that my wife too can drive on her old style provisional as its converted to a single seater. Great for women [and men] with no mechanical feel as its impossible to stall and will always "start" up on the winter mornings. I'm not what you call an EV enthusiast but it just does the job we want doing and extremely well and economically at that.

I dont think larger electric cars will be catching on for a long time, for one thing, they are a shocking price to buy!

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »
Fair point Bob, I'm obviously behind the times - wasn't aware you could chose to buy your electric from tidal or wind power (I believe the only sustainable clean source, even hydro power has its issues)...

I see them a lot in London, along with electric delivery vehicles. A couple of times I have almost been run over by the latter as you don't hear them coming...

I'll still stick with my polluting old cars, they might kick out a lot of nasties but by not replacing them with something new it saves the energy and natural resources of building one. Besides, I'll leave that to the missus as she is a bit of a philistine when it comes to older cars...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:05:00 PM by GoggoPete »
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
To my mind hydrogen power is the way to go. Hydrogen is the most abundant energy source in our universe after all...
Hydrogen makes the lead-acid battery look clever.  Hydrogen is only produced by consuming large amounts of electric power to separate it out, so think of it as a liquid battery.  And then you need that huge apparatus of fuel cell in the car.  It's just not clever.

But.... the great advantage of hydrogen is that it still needs an internal combustion engine to drive the car, so manufacturers can continue to concentrate on petrol-engined cars while claiming that hydrogen will make them viable in the future.  Cynical, moi?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
deviating slightly but this is quite interesting . one only has to look at a crowded , New York , pavement for example to realise that there could be something there . Tidal power is much researched and in use but surely one of the largest tidal surges is rush hour city traffic - could this not be harnessed ? I am sure it will be some time in the future http://www.ovoenergy.com/2013/05/kinetic-pavements-are-giving-a-whole-new-meaning-to-power-walking/
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »
Gymnasium power!

Have you been to a Gym lately?  Row upon row of exercise machines with people exerting and burning vast amounts of calories to keep fit or loose weight.
Surly if every machine had a small generator instead of a resistance brake, we could generate massive amounts of power?  Millions of people use these machines throughout the day.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »
Take the blinkers off Al.

Where do you store these vehicles - there are solutions and many families already have a few cars - some not capable of reaching Spain (by ferry).

For overall performance similar to an internal combustion engine we must wait for Hydrogen cell development perhaps.

If only it were so. The school run, preserve of the ill driven MPV/Jeep. Folk are wedded to thier girt cars. Millions, We will see but its a niche market until or unless it gets 'unfair' help to persuade us off ICE. These battery powered bimbles are not the future of motoring. Power cells, maybe.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
I think the power generating pavements sound like a great idea ( a bit expensive perhaps), if put along the slow lanes of all motorways, the HGV 's traveling in from Europe could generate enough power to run all the electric cars in the UK.

I believe that one of the big London night clubs uses the same technology under the dance floor to power all the lighting and sound systems

Chris Thomas