Author Topic: moderators moderate  (Read 10251 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
moderators moderate
« on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
Hi all  :) meant with best intentions to all. Many times since I joined the forum there have been topics of disagreement within the forum , most of which is healthy . Sometimes topics are posted incorrectly and these seem to be the most contentious . I would ask that members of the forum be more sensitive and indeed sensible . If a subject is posted under general microcar and the moderator thinks this to be off topic then Move it . Should there be a groundswell of opinion that this be wrong we can discuss it. Let's keep microcar for MICROCAR. Off topic for OFF topic . Obviously I post this due to invalid cars yet again proving contentious , and this gets wearing .II would also ask for off topic to be self regulated to less political subjects.  . Opinions welcome HM
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: moderators moderate
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »

Obviously I post this due to invalid cars yet again proving contentious , and this gets wearing.

If it's wearing for you from your standpoint, consider how much more wearing it is for me from my standpoint. In all honesty, I do find it all extremely insulting to me personally and what I've done for the vehicles for all these years, and indeed it does sometimes really make me wonder at my place within the micro world when I'm in my lower moments. It isn't very nice to browse this forum at times and get nothing but the impression that the micro world does not want invalid carriages around in it, and by dint of that, does not want me around in it.  I know this is a complete over-reaction on my part, but alas that is the real impression that gets presented to me every time we return to the old "invalid carriages and their place" argument, because lets face it, with what sort of vehicles am I most associated with above all others in this world? You don't get one without the other with me & invalid carriages.  Please bear that in mind all those who post.  

A few people have also noted I've been posting less & less here over the past year of so. Yes, some of this has been due to the above, plus the odd bout of "the old difficulty" inside my head, but another main reason is (And this is not aimed at you personally Richard, but in general terms) that I am heartly fed up of all the bleats of "Off topic!" which gets tossed into, it seems, any topic whatsoever for any reason whatsoever with monotonous regularity of late, so much so that I couldn't be bothered to issue forth on a lot of what's been going on recently, for the very real expectation of "IS THAT REALLY ON-TOPIC?" from those who seem to have just taken it upon themselves one morning to decide forever afterwards what is or isn't like the voice of Him on high.  

Well, you did ask for opinions....   ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:04:44 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Have we been discussing politics recently, I do not recall doing so. I was trying to keep off it actually.

I cannot really see the problem with an interesting discussion continuing. If it is a topic of minimal interest to you then your a mouse click away from not viewing it. Why are Mopeds more acceptable than IC's? I am not greatly interested in Mopeds but I do not go off on one at their very mention. Personally I think French Fridges are off topic but I am not going to make a fuss about it. There have been several good discussions on them leading to factual input from some sources. I know there is more info out there but maybe its the negativity in which certain areas are received that precludes its publication or supply by PM. Now that is getting political so I cannot say more.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »
Just want to make clear that I only exist as ONE of the moderators to remove spam and bad language. I dont have any clout as to the making of any rules for the forum etc. All I have ever done is express opinions and preferences. I'm glad that others too are now following suit. You may recall that I was actually not in favour of even having an off topic lounge.
So who is actually responsible for the rules of the forum? A good question, I guess as figurehead of Rumcars it must be Jean and so far she hasn't imposed any other than the afore mentioned language and up till now we have got on pretty well being self regulating using common sense and decency. Long may it continue. We will never all agree on everything, if we all liked the same thing..................................Mother! :D

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:08:58 AM »
Hi all  Obviously I post this due to invalid cars yet again proving contentious.

Invalid cars contentious? 
Sounds like a bit of an oxymoron to me.
What is next?  A protest that we have to cast eyes on a disabled person?
Is it morally appropriate to only allow fully abled individuals to drive microcars?
The original Messershmitt evolved directly and was tremendously similar to Fritz Fends invalid carriage.
Should we consider Messershmitt 175s with their hand controlls too similar to the ic that preceded it to be talked about in the micro car forum?
This is clearly being persued to the point of nonsense, or worse yet, an intentional haranguing of one of our most valuable and devoted members who has recently been criticized for being less active with the group while simultaneously and contentiously being told that the vehicles that he is preserving for history are unworthy of being included in the Micro car Forum.
This is unmitigated snobbery,  and I will not sit idly by without exposing it for such.

There is nobody in this club with more micro in his blood than Stuart.
Has anybody else driven a Minicomtesse 140 miles to and from a car show without so much as a back up?
He who has exceeded this feat may cast the first stone.

I personally find many of the more modern enclosed ics t least as intersting as many of the more generally highly  recognized

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 08:53:56 AM »
All missing my point so far really . My whole reason for my suggestion was to end all such sniping entirely ! No insults, no snide remarks just put them - mopeds, ic's etc nicely off topic and surely everyone happy. Aren't they ?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:07:33 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Good. More valid opinions.

I just re-read Stuarts article on his trip to Kemble, great stuff. Distance travelled 75 miles at an average speed of 15-17 mph, not 140 miles but a great achievement never the less.

Just for the record RUMCARS is not a club, just a register which happens to have a magazine and a forum.

And yes, I'm definately a snob, one of my nick names at school was Snobby Bobby! ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »
Well I would be! Others take it as an insult where as all its really trying to achieve is to be a little more organised.
Maybe chaos should be allowed to reign freely, after all we are all a bits bonkers, we wouldnt be into microcars if we were not! ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »
I might be being thick here but to know what is off topic, first one needs to know what is on topic.
That means an approximated set of rules as to what the forum is covering as its core topics. Rules mean barriers and there will be disaffection, which I think is why such a move has been steered away from. Hence you have 100 people all of whom probably hold a slightly differing opinion of what the forum covers as its core topics. They post according to their set of guidelines and have run foul of a few folk who clearly are opposed to discussions on certain subjects. I have become aware of things that annoy folk and have attempted to drop them in main topics, save for humour, so we can all rub along. New members will not know quite what is form. Its is not good form, therefore, to banish DAF and a new members IC talk, a day after the topic comes up. These guys would be quite within right to think 'What a load of ignorant whatsits' and find someone else to talk to. By all means direct or move the topic on mass to the off topic section, with an explanation. Bob did a few but made a slight error and that got a bit over heated as the timing was unfortunate.  Since then I think he has left well alone as he prefers not to have an argument. Who can blame him. Perhaps your suggestion of being headmaster is not so silly as you could become the topic monitor? Humour used thus would dampen the upset that might be felt in a move to the off topic lounge - also known as Form C, for dunces, serial misbehaviour and looking out of the window.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
That's a most sensible suggestion Al. As a moderater I don't actually have the mechanism to just move topics , when I did it before and got in hot water I was just copy and pasting which is not ideal and why I made a blunder. I think Jim and Chris as administrators are the only ones that can easily move a whole topic. Both of whom are very busy guys.

If we could get a general consensus on this we could ask the administrator to assign this task along with the needed buttons to do the job.

I definitely don't want it but HM may be the man?

I have occasionally visited the Reliant forum and they have complete separate forums for individual brands of car, there is even a separate G-wiz forum, Axaim, etc etc all accessed from the home page. I think that is great and helps people save time and irritation by going into a section that they know will interest them. I wonder if we could do something like that?   

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
The forum is mainly for Microcars. - The main discussion area being 'Unusual Microcar Discussion'

The off-topic is for things other than microcars.

I like (and own) microcars, IC's and 'French Fridges' (Sans Permis).  I also have scooters and the like.

Even though I like IC's and have a bit of banter with Bob, I agree that they are not strictly microcars but very close and associated.
Bob is right in implying that they were a development along the lines of surgical appliances to help disabled people to get mobile.  Not strictly microcars for popular transport of two or more people.

The issue is that the Rumcars forum is really good, well supported and easy to get on with.  It is very open and covers so many different areas. (look at a Landrover forum for instance - great for finding out about what causes a squeek on a TD5 widget but very little variety)

The other issue is that there is not an equivalent forum for IC's and other 'light weight' vehicles.  

Stuart is a great man, really knowledgeable and helpful but he cannot be burdened with trying to develop something as good as the Rumcar forum working in parallel.

The answer, against Bobs wishes but surly to consider, is an IC and light vehicle section - likle the off-topic lounge.

Unusual Microcar Discussion -     Microcars only (and some wandering off the thread)
     Off-topic lounge -                    Not much to do with microcars like mopeds, aircraft, jazz, amphibious ducks and the like.
     Associated vehicles -                Lightweight cars and IC's for instance.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:20:40 PM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
Not at all against my wishes, rather bubble heaven!

Can we have some more input on the idea of having seperete sections for seperete catagories much as outlined by Barry?  I would impliment it tomorrow !

If a reasonable proportion agree I can speak to Jean and Jim about it.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
I can see why some self denied, or even self proclaimed snobs wouldn't want some of the fiber glass bodied 500 cc Invacars on their Micro car forum.  Even in their deliberately under tuned state- they can beat the pants off  a Tiger at less than a hundredth the price!
Never the less,  I consider Barry to once again be speaking with the voice of reason here, and would be happy to endorse his reasonable compromise.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
All missing my point sop far really . My whole reason for my suggestion was to end al such sniping entirely ! No insults, no snide remarks just put them - mopeds, ic's etc nicely off topic and surely everyone happy. Aren't they ?
OK, I get it now.
You were just being sarcastic, and the devils advocate by demonstrating your sniping, insulting snide remarks, and suggestion that ICs be segregated to the back of the bus.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »

I just re-read Stuarts article on his trip to Kemble, great stuff. Distance travelled 75 miles at an average speed of 15-17 mph, not 140 miles but a great achievement never the less.

Bob, please correct me if I am wrong- but wasn't that the one way trip distance?
If so, I would have under estimated the total trip mileage at 140 miles.