Author Topic: moderators moderate  (Read 10213 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: moderators moderate
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
I just did. Round trip 75 miles. He lives 30 miles away from the event he attended.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
Thanks for the correction Bob.
I guess that makes my installing a larger than stock drive sprocket on my HMV Freeway, and then driving it a similar distance on the Los Angeles Freeways at truley frightening speed in contention for stupid human tricks.
At one point, at top downhill speed, when I found myself in such a state of infactuation that I began chanting "it's a real car",  I realized that I was staring at a diagonal break on the pavement demarkating about a 2" change in the height of its surface.  The stock steering and suspension produced severe bump steer- so I knew that my vehicle was about to be violently thrust one way, and then the other in rapid succession.  Like Mr. Ralf Nadir's test manuever that got the early Corvairs to flip at 27 and a half m.p.h.
I held my breath and tucked my head down.  After the double bangs of my right, then left front tire hitting the bump, I found to my amazement that even though I was now in a different lane- we were still upright!
I drove more slowly the rest of the way home, put the vehicle up on jack stands, and spent the next year anayzing and correcting the multitude of design and material faults in the vehicle's suspension and steering system.
End result- I hav undoubtedly the best handling Freeway in existence, and I haven't drven it on a Freeway innearly 20 years.
Oh well
, at least I'm alive to tell the tale.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »
If the option of branded topics exists and it is not an irksome task to host and run for our leaders it is a grand idea to separate a few threads. I hold no grudge against anything really but I agree IC is an ideal spin off. It might help our little chubby buddy, in fact. Now I will show my ignorance. Do Scootacar, Goggo, Nobel have forums? They have there own registers but lean to a greater or lesser extent on RUM none the less. Brings more to the game afoot. Do light car need a thread? I am uncertain. Perhaps we all are and there is a demand as these are much more in evidence as everyday drivers being that little more able to cope with modern traffic and manners.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
go with barrys formula for me , but it would still need someone to move those ( accidentally , or deliberately - it does happen  ;)  ) posted incorrectly . that was my only real point . i wanted no further upsets or awkwardness . all much nicer all around  :)
The term Light car has already been around  for many years and you cannot really redefine it . the magazine Light Car was in circulation from at least the 1930's until the 1950's and covered the smaller Austins etc. it is apparently still in use by such as the RAC .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_car
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
Wow that was quick! We now have a Sans permis and IC forum. I think this is going to work well for everyone. Stuart and Barry as moderators, I wonder if anyone asked them? :D  We may not even need someone to switch misplaced threads, lets see what happens. Many thanks JIM!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »
hmmmm not what i was after at all but i will have to go with it . as far as i see a sans permis IS A MICROCAR  :-\ and now it's off microcar - weird ! barrys suggestion had been " associated vehicles " why did sans permis ever end up there as well ?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 07:55:05 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
Tricky

Sans Permis because you don't need a license (in France).

I am guilty of thinking we all live in England but this is a global forum.  For people in other countries they may well be recognised as microcars?

To me, Sans Permis does not qualify as a real microcar because they were never type approved for use on the road as a licences vehicle.  

This is OK for early 50cc Sans permis but of course rules changed and cc changed and then they had numberplates even in France.  My 50cc Ligier JS4 has a French number plate.
It's possible to get an Acoma Minicomtesse (etc) on the road in England but you have to change a few things to do it.  Also, they don't get up to a speed of 30mph - is this a requirement for a Microcar.
How practical is a 50cc Sans permis car from France on English roads?

Bamby, Curser and Peels qualify because they were licensed vehicles.  There are always grey areas.

Perhaps they should be included under the Microcar forum - perhaps not................................................Fight.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:49:08 PM by Barry »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 08:55:35 PM »
it seems to me that to stop i.c. interests getting offended by being " off topic " we now class sans permis as " off topic " so as to keep them company , strange logic . has anyone else told the sans permis owners that they no longer own microcars - they might be surprised to hear it  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
Yes, this wasnt what I envisioned either, I thought sans permis would remain with the unusual microcars and IC's and light cars would have there own section. Can we change this Jim?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
I think I have confused things thinking that Bob was happy / wanted to have Sans Permis out side of Microcars.........

I just miss-read the thread (I think).

So Sans Permis is in with Microcars?

Unusual Microcar Discussion -     Microcars including Sans Permis (and some wandering off of the thread as is bound to happen)
     Off-topic lounge -                Not much to do with microcars like mopeds, aircraft, jazz, amphibious ducks and the like. (social lounge)
     Associated vehicles -            Lightweight cars and IC's . (if you don't like them then don't read it)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
It looks like JIm has changed it to IC's and associated vehile which covers most things. Lets see how this goes.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
I also hope this ends any dissatisfaction . In fact we now can post anything as long as its done correctly - I fully intend to post on micro but as usual I will read all.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »
I think I have confused things thinking that Bob was happy / wanted to have Sans Permis out side of Microcars.........

I just miss-read the thread (I think).

So Sans Permis is in with Microcars?

Unusual Microcar Discussion -     Microcars including Sans Permis (and some wandering off of the thread as is bound to happen)
     Off-topic lounge -                Not much to do with microcars like mopeds, aircraft, jazz, amphibious ducks and the like. (social lounge)
     Associated vehicles -            Lightweight cars and IC's . (if you don't like them then don't read it)

'T was I who think. Much as you, I class Sans Permis as not Microcars but an associated area of there own interest. They slide passed the 1970 date too. Now of course RUM is not restricted to a Classic interpretation of Microcar. These cars are, in the main, minimalist. So qualify on that basis. But so are later enclosed IC. So you have a conundrum. I think Sans Permis would benefit from their own thread. IC as a guest thread along with light car, possibly cyclecars, as the earlier versions do drift a long way from Microcars, unless you are including electric cars as Microcars. I do not. However there is clear interest, so let it be.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »
What has happend to this Forum? Can't we put on new topics anymore? There doesn't seem to be a box to tick !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:10:02 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
I also hope this ends any dissatisfaction . In fact we now can post anything as long as its done correctly - I fully intend to post on micro but as usual I will read all.

Well why separate the topics at all. :D  Here come de Judge, etc. Well headmaster anyway. Molesworth called them beaks so that's good enough for me, Fatherington-Thomas