Author Topic: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )  (Read 28916 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )
« on: July 07, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »
i  have one yet to  be restored . Very similar , but pre-dating it , to the Nutshell Caravan of 1960. does anyone have pics , manufacturers details , dates brochure etc. thanks . i would like to at least once tow this on the Gordon  :D
the pic taken at a Bath Rally several years ago shows the Nutshell - red and the Raleigh - green, i think at the time both owned by Alan Hillier
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:05:07 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Raleigh Folding Caravan
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
The only mention I could find of the Raleigh Folding Caravan was in the Illustrated London News from February 22nd 1969 - "Young couples with a Mini or similar small car might well consider the Raleigh Folding Caravan, similar in appearance to the tent trailer. When raised it will sleep two adults and a youngster and costs only £94.

But there is a little bit more here

http://www.steve-pepper.co.uk/IROM/page8.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
thanks a lot thats the one - no pic with the article is there . would like to see original lights and wheel arches i did email steve pepper at that email but returned not in use anymore

i read that the Raleigh preceded the Nutshell of 1960 and had thought the Raleigh out of production by then  - obviously not , so which was first i wonder
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:10:24 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi Richard
               I took my Raleigh caravan to Story towed behind a Heinkel it made it there and back - I thought the the Nut-shell predated the Raleigh - I seemed to remember giving my spares to a needy person ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »
think you must be right on all counts  ;) any pics of it mike ?

try this clip http://www.britishpathe.com/video/folding-caravan

or this http://www.britishpathe.com/video/folding-caravan-1

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:31:10 PM by richard »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »
Nutshell was made by Stewart's (or Stuart's) Hacklemakers in Dundee as a means of keeping the staff employed in the quiet times.

I had one but scrapped it.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
Raleigh Mini Caravans of Telford Shropshire sounds like a likely suspect. Traded from 1967 till 1976 when it changed name to Raleigh Caravan Awnings Ltd

http://www.chiltern-trs.co.uk/Geoff_caravan.htm

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/00922220
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
thanks a lot thats the one - no pic with the article is there . would like to see original lights and wheel arches i did email steve pepper at that email but returned not in use anymore

i read that the Raleigh preceded the Nutshell of 1960 and had thought the Raleigh out of production by then  - obviously not , so which was first i wonder

Steve Peper seems to live on Facebook these days. Sadly I do not, as I do not like such sites, so cannot read much of what he posted. He also seems to be much less active on Microcaravans. Another topic of interest that maybe rudderless. I found no real support in trying to identify the manufacturers of the Peka. That is sold now and my interest in the area is low so its up to others on this one.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
Thanks for that - I think that Telford new town only came about around 1970. But would seem to answer that . Never heard this before .

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:08:05 PM »
Hi Richard

Saw this today at a classic car show in Newbury. Couldn't remember if it was a Raleigh you were asking about otherwise I'd have taken more pics!
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
thanks very much all i needed ! would like the original sheet whenever i could find it - now i can date it more i know where more likely to find info . great

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
and of course once you know exactly what name to Google the worlds your Lobster ;D
there is only one mention of this device on Google and it turns out this one is a replica albeit he has the brochure and proper name etc. but again conflicting mfg. and date  http://www.chiltern-trs.co.uk/Geoff_caravan.htm
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:47:34 PM by richard »

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
One of the more creative pieces of lateral thinking is what (I have read) are the original mudguards - a washing-up bowl cut in half and turned on its side!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »
Yup, I heard about the washing up bowl too! In a similar vein I remember reading about a fellow's micro collection in a classic car mag about 15-20 years ago; he had restored a 1930s Raleigh Van (motorcycle forks at front) and had a tough job cutting the right elliptical shape for the rear window holes in the bodywork until he found his wife's pie dish was exactly the right size and shape.
When I was designing my portable timpani I started fabricating a small dish shaped part for the tuning mechanism, a whole day's work. Then I suddenly realised that an Indespension stub axle dust cap for trailers was perfect for the job and I used them. yup, about 1,000 dust caps can be found in my drums all over the world!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face