Author Topic: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )  (Read 28908 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Raleigh Folding Caravan
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
It was a baby bath not a washing up bowl - that would be ridiculous  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:49 AM »
Did they take the baby out before cutting it in half?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Hi Andrew
                The washing up bowl cut in half is wrong - it was a baby's bath - bigger than a washing up bowl and it fitted the wheel being slightly elongated - you should be aware the the wheels were a 3 stud fitting - and the nut's went clockwise an on side of the caravan and anticlockwise on the other side to save them coming off at speed :D
                                                                                                                                     Mike

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
this is the NUTSHELL - almost identical to the RALEIGH . did anyone ever tow one with the 197cc Villiers engined Bond Mk D pictured

i love the gap in the text " appreciate the        amazing performance " fill in the gap - well perhaps better not  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:26:21 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Raleigh Folding Caravan ( or Nutshell ? )
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 06:56:32 AM »
For Colin.  Some background.

Caiptean

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 07:41:31 AM »
Barry,

The first photograph clearly shews both Nutshell and Raleigh caravans; the difference being clearly discernable.

The Nutshell's wheel arches were a Featherwear baby-bath cut in half although the Raleigh may have been different (my Raleigh was although may not have been original equipment). This was at a time where glass-fibre was rather expensive.

To remove the wheel on a Nutshell you had to remove the wheel bearings as well; a filthy job. So I altered mine to use the wheels /hubs from a Raleigh as the last thing one wanted was to have to dismantle the hubs and bearings at the side of a busy windswept road in order to repair a puncture. Practicality won the day here especially as the Nutshell was used regularly and I hoped to locate a spare rim to avoid changing tubes at the roadside. The three threads /nuts holding the wheels on the hubs were not handed.

I've no idea how many Raleigh caravan survive. The last time I met a fellow Nutshell owner (from Ayrshire) just six were known of - two in England and four in Scotland. Mine being either chassis number 14 (or 141). The Ayrshire Nutshell was no longer folded and was towed behind a Morris Oxford station wagon (mine folds down and sits behind a Traveller).

Kind regards,

Colin

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
I think Malcolm Bull might have one ot two, Coventry way. He had 7 micro caravans last time I spoke to him. Goes under the pseudonym of Malcmog normally. He is an active Morgan Trike man.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Caiptean

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
Al,

Stan Cornock of the Bond Owners Club used to own one (Birmingham) but that was many years ago.

Of the four in Scotland one was described as a basket-case, one was used (but not folding) and I cannot recall the status of the other two - this was when I met the Ayrshire owner back in 2008 (tempus fugit)!

However, it would be superb if more have since been discovered!

Kind regards,

Colin

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
brings back memory's , although we only had the trailer full of tent and camping gear , the trick with the Bond was to drop the 19 sprocket and fit a 18 tooth , this kept momentum going whilst climbing !

Caiptean

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 02:31:53 PM »
"the trick with the Bond was to drop the 19 sprocket and fit a 18 tooth , this kept momentum going whilst climbing"

I never managed to change the sprocket whilst on the move let alone whilst climbing......   ;)

Seriously though I seem to recall fitting 44-tooth chain rings instead of 42-tooth and did experiment with a 19T sprocket (instead of 22T) on a MkG for towing but eventually kept to the original gearing (although used the intermediate ratios out of Invacar gearboxes).

What I do remember is having MkG gearboxes seize on very steep hills (not when towing). As a consequence I tried using Slick50 in the gearboxes and never had a seizure since.

Kind regards,

Colin

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
I think stan cornock would still have his , alan hillier had the two pictured in the first photo , i suspect hes sold one or both , i have this month eventually found wheels for mine . Work might now even start

Caiptean

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 11:22:37 PM »
Richard,

Is yours a Raleigh or a Nutshell?

The Nutshell Caravans came first being made by L. Stewart & Sons of Dens Road, Dundee who I believe sold them for £98.

The design was then sold to Raleigh Mini Caravans Ltd of Rye Lane, Peckham who altered the design (probably to simplify construction and lower the cost to I think 89 guineas). The Raleigh caravans used to be sold in Gamages!

I still use the original striped canvas awning for my Nutshell - it is a simple affair that clips onto screws along the entire length of the roof beading then rests on top of the open door; the awning roof tapering from the open door corners to the far corners of the caravan roof (where it was tied). Besides the two door poles the awning also ties to loops in the body base (front and rear) and is handed - it will only hang properly on the kerbside (i.e. in direction of travel).

The interior of the Nutshell's base (including the bunk-bed) was varnished but I seen to recall the Raleigh may have been painted. Although the interiors were similar they did noticeably differ between the two makes

Originally I did have both a Nutshell and Raleigh but restored the (older) Nutshell and passed on the (newer) Raleigh to somebody in the Bond owners club - I didn't need both.

In recent years I have used the Nutshell behind my Traveller but the (necessary) speed limit for towing can make journeys slow and tedious (says he who used to drive a MkF Van everyday)

I do hope Stan Cornock does still have his Nutshell and I ought to see if I kept the details of the chap in Ayrshire with his Morris Oxford and Nutshell as he knew the location of those in Scotland.

I gave up Bond Minicars many years ago so the only (very) sporadic contact I have in the microcar world now is with Jean Hammond and an old friend who has a 49cc 'Postman Pat' Willam van. But that is another story........

Kind regards,

Colin

Caiptean

Nutshell Folding Caravan
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
I have now taken some recent photographs of my Nutshell for interest.

The first two are conventional elevations but the third is the interior with just one end held in place 9so one can actually see the layout). Basically it forms four seats or a double bed - there is the single original bunk bed which is quite useful as a night-stand.

Finally is the original awning (in excellent condition) laid out on the deck of the Nutshell. The green canvas forms the awning roof and clips /ties onto the roof of the Nutshell and is open door; the striped sides hang vertically. The awning is handed so can only hang on the nearside (kerbside). As this was an impromptu photo session I hadn't bought the Nutshell's door key so could open the flap to erect the awning.

I will be selling the Nutshell shortly as I've not used it for some while having towed it long-distance behind Mk F and Mk G Bond Minicars. Although it tows effortlessly behind my Traveller the speed limit for towing is somewhat limiting on in respect of my Traveller's high-performance engine. However, the Nutshell is very practical and in a fully serviceable condition as ca be seen from the photographs.

Regards,

Colin Watts

Caiptean

Nutshell Folding Caravan
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Three more Nutshell caravan photographs (both folded and erect) shewing the curved ends (Raleigh ends are linear) and fine point at the towing end.

The original towing eye appeared to be just a flat plate with a hole through it for the towing pin. This enabled the front stand to be rotated upwards and used as a carrying handle.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »
Lovely pics Colin, I have a Raleigh , as you say similar . Odd as one was on ebay two weeks ago and Mike Shepherd bought it, his second, and he as taking it to Beaulieu this week and we will be taking afternoon tea in it 🙂 . It would be nice to keep yours " in the fold "