Author Topic: Trim for Bond Minicar MkG Pasenger door  (Read 8206 times)

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
Trim for Bond Minicar MkG Pasenger door
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:22:29 AM »
Hi all.
I`m trying to get a trim strip for the outside of my bond MkG passenger door, not sure what car this trim would have come from,  many of the other parts on a Bond Minicar came from the Morris 1000 and Austin A35 have any of you got one of these door trim strips to sell or can anyone sugest what car they were originally made for, befor I`m asked yes joined the Bond parts scheme within the Bond Owners club and been in contact but no luck.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:28:38 AM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Trim for Bond Minicar MkG Pasenger door
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:42 AM »
Hi Jim

Have you got a piece of the old trim to show the size, shape and dimensions? These guys have a good range in stock.

http://www.phoenixtrim.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:21:58 AM »
I've just re-read your message and realised you're probably talking about the chrome strip. Like this one?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
Hi jim we spoke on these matters at nottingham and it hasn't changed for me either . Mike and renate at bond spares do have sets of trim . I got a set - but getting any reply to an email seems very difficult indeed. I am awaiting a reply from 3 weeks ago .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »
On the up side to this though Mike has kindly promised me on the phone that as soon as he comes across any of the chrome strip in bundle or separate he will email and let me know, just thought while i`m waiting might as well ask you guys.
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »
[img] :)  Oh I get by with a little help from my friends thank you to the Rum Cars forum member who generously supplied me with the strip I`m after.

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
Have just started removing the other chrome stripes from the outside of the car before the re spray but all the clips holding the strips on are behold salvage wondered if Nimrod Cabin Scooter or any of you other members might no where I could get some new clips from. All the present clips are badly coroded but they appear to be small screws with a propeller shape or similier one end that turns under the strip and grabs a hold while the other end has a nut on it. ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:39:01 AM by Jim »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
Isn't it just simple enough to file a flat either side of a stainless  screw head ? It worke well on my Trojan - very quick and simple
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »
Cheers Richard good point unless there are any other sugestions I`ll go with that, hey did you sought out that wing problem on your Bond that you was telling me about.

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:20:08 PM »
Messerschmitt Owners Club sell the trim screws....not sure if they are the same dimensions.
Cream Mk1 Scootacar

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
What was that jim I don't recall. Yep grant I bought schmitt ones for the Bruetsch trim - being a non member I bought at the stall at NMCR - can u wait jim ?

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
Cheers Scootercar MK1 yes agreed they do look very similier, sorry Richard thinking about it now it was not you but Rusty Chrome who was talking to me about a Bond wing repair :-X

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »
Jim, the aluminium side trims used on the MkG are a wider profile than those used on the German equivalents of the time so the trims screws available from the Messerschmitt owners club will be of no use.  They were available some years ago from Bond Spares as I recall John Wooten making them individually on his lathe.  If Mick does not have any left then I would go for brass pan heads and file them down, easier than stainless.

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
Cheers scootercar appreciated

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
Jim

Just been ferreting about in the garage and I found a Bond trim bolt, tried it on my one remaining piece of G trim and it is the one, see attachments

Possibly you are now sorted but I could send you this one (not the pound coin as well) which will give you a pattern so you can get some made, or just maybe I will find some more as I do recall having a bag of these somewhere, if I find them then they are yours since I have made an executive decision to stick with Marks A-D

Cheers

Nick
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF