Author Topic: Number Plates  (Read 9132 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Number Plates
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »
Thanks to Stuarts expertise and records, my three Invacar rolling chassis now have number plates.

Pressed aluminium with flat faced figures, these were supplied by Phil at Design a plate.  

DESIGNAPLATE@aol.com
(Designaplate and Vinyl arts are one and the same company)

£55 total for all three sets of plates inc delivery.

MOT's for all three chassis comes next so that they can be registered and taxed as trikes.

My Morris plates were more critical and I went to Tippers Classic and Vintage Plates Cornwall - ashwaller@aol.com
(not Tippers Benfleet - completely separate company)

About £61 +£6.50 p&p for one set of thick aluminium pressed plates.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:41:53 AM by Barry »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:02:12 PM »
Don't you think having no front and rear body/lighting and no doors might be a bit of a problem  barry ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
No!

They are nearly ready for a Day time only MOT and that's all I need to get them into the new road tax bracket.
I can't drive them at all unless I am disabled and even then it would be doubtful as they are no longer approved for disabled - Stuart might know the details.

Just have to put some mudguards on the back and cover any dangerous bits with some soft foam and off we go......................

No lights needed. (except brake light)  No windscreen so no wiper or washer.   

SKoota Shaun could fill us in with the details as he really knows his MOT stuff.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
Take them to Rallies and rent them out. Be rather good fun.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »
would tippers do CAST heavy alluminium barry , no polished edge , do you know ?

no insurance  , you can't have fun like that anymore al. hire or reward etc.  :'(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »
would tippers do CAST heavy alluminium barry , no polished edge , do you know ?

no insurance  , you can't have fun like that anymore al. hire or reward etc.  :'(

I don't know for sure about cast aluminium but it would be worth asking them.
My Morris old plates were very thick. Tippers weren't quite as thick at 2mm (brushed finish) but much better than others

"The dies that we use are 30 years old, and manufactured to the designs agreed in 1963 so they are the period font.
        We are the only company manufacturing with the period method and using the correct equipment, I realise these are expensive, but they arent easy to make."

They were able to make the exact large size plates which meant I could use all the same fixing holes from the originals.  A smaller back number plate would have been a disaster to fit.  so the higher cost of the plates was worth it.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
thanks rob they do a cast plate but at £190 pair a bit steep . they list this up to 1930 but it appears that some 1950's/60's Bond A's and B's used them or were they hand painted i wonder ? with no polished edge as you see you have to cut it down a bit to fit between the two bumpers - oh well no hurry anyway

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
Wonder if we could look at it from a modern perspective.

All we need is an artwork with the right font - easy to do and any font you like within reason.  If you already have an old number plate it could be scanned and copied as artwork.

Then CNC mill from a solid plate of aluminium.  Must be less than £190?

Alternatively, make a rapid prototype pattern from the digital artwork (CAD).  Use the pattern to cast an aluminium number plate - could be more expensive.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »

Oh silly me. I forgot. We are not allowed to enjoy ourselves, are we. Without a body a claim would not have a leg to stand on.

So if these were pre '60 they would have a free daytime MOT or a free full one?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »
Pre 60 do not require an MOT but I think they need an MOT in the first place before they don't need one - if you can understand?

The Invacar chassis can't be taxed as trikes until they are in the new taxation class.  To get the taxation class changed they need an MOT.

It might be possible to tax them as invalid carriages - not sure about MOT requirements - but I wouldn't be able to drive them. You might be able to get away with it Al?

The intention is to reunite the chassis with Invacar bodies one day.  I may even swap the body from my road worthy car as one chassis in particular drives very well.

Worst outcome will be fitting a make-shift body and lights but this could also be fun.  We get back to the Swan body idea etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 07:14:16 AM by Barry »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »
It really is astonishing , and very inventive, how you purport to discuss number plates purely so you can discuss your fave topic I.c. 'S - incredible how you do it  ;)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
But once they become Trikes, are they still Invalid Carriages or have they become Microcars....................?................a fiendish plan unfolds.

And all those who have, out of principle, decided never to look at the Invalid Carriage thread are now missing out on Number Plate chat.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
But what a price to pay  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
Quote from: Big Al link=topic=3973.msg29845#msg29845 date=1374101300

So if these were pre '60 they would have a free daytime MOT or a free full one?
[/quote

I was meaning this in a general sense really. The three chassis are 70's so do not really come into the arena for free MOT. Then again if you can do it then great. I find it great that I MOT my IC to get them road legal and as tricycle only to have DVLA, who insisted, return me V5C for Invalid Vehicle as if they suddenly become one of the puddle jumping batricar jobs. The one hand does not know what the other is doing up there. Since I gwet a free tax disc and its thier error I never sought to alter it, until, or unless, there is a valid reason. I have no doubt the same stumbling ineffciency will be bought to bare on MOT over '60.