Author Topic: peel fuel  (Read 12267 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: peel fuel
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »
Remember to mark the can that's been mixed - perhaps with a red X
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
Now who's hijacking someones thread with drivel? :D

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi Bob
           I will be coming on Sunday and have a can of fuel in my car already mixed 25/1 - and its marked 2 stroke to stop me getting it mixed with my other can with pure petrol in it.
                                                                                                                                                                               Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »
Thats ideal Mike. I will leave it to you then.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 01:03:10 PM »
oddly enough tonight i got a downloaded handbook for the Lloyd 2 stroke engine , via Fred Diwell in Australia , and that mix is 40 :1 that's unusual isn't it ? handy the goggo's 25:1 as well isn't it
40:1 does sound more like a recommendation for a modern 2 stroke engine using vastly improved modern oil formulations.
Did the original recommendations assume a specialized 2 stroke oil, or just engine oil of the era as was often used to suffice?
In either event, what would be the appropriate translational ratio if using modern two stroke oils for Messershmitts/ Nobels, Hienkel/ Trojans, Villiers, or newer smaller engines like the just under 50 cc class motors in Minicomtesses, and Moto Morini?
Lastly, what adjustment factor should you apply if using a modern synthetic 2 stroke oil instead?

I am aware thisthat these topics must have been touched upon previously, but will appreciate a consensual wrap up of the debatable data- indeed if such a thing can be substantiated to be reasonably reliable, given the disastrous consequences if it were not.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »

I am aware that these topics must have been touched upon previously, but will appreciate a consensual wrap up of the debatable data- indeed if such a thing can be substantiated to be reasonably reliable, given the disastrous consequences if it were not.

With apologies to the thread, but I just couldn't resist it!  :)  (We'll explain later Steven)   :-*

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »
What does that mean in English for the common people?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 05:36:42 PM »
Oh come on, its a little wordy and the sentence structure not typically English, remember this guy is Californian[that alone should tell you something! :D] but its pretty self explanitory. Steven wants others to chip in with more data based on there experience of 2 stroke oils and ratio's so that we can draw some reliable conclusions about this subject, must be reliable data because one wouldnt want to take any chances with ones vintage two sroke engine would one?  Simples!

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 05:59:24 PM »
I did say common people. What's wrong with using a straight sae30 in the mix like we used to use?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
Nothing I guess. I used to use it in my Ariel Arrow, the only downside I remember was carbon deposits were quite heavy.  Experimenting more recently with my two stroke lightweights, I tried using a modern synthetic oil in the 1970's Puch and the engine sounded a little rattly, my 1951 Guzzino would not run at all on it. I have to use a strong mix not leaner 20 to 1, the reason being that there is no oil seal on the rotary valve end of the crankshaft, thick oil does the sealing. The conclusion I draw from all this is that old engines are designed to be using the oils and measures of the time in which they were designed. There will be exceptions and its only by experimenting that we will learn which ones can function on a leaner mixture. My opinion is similar to your Robs, why bother! I now run both my two stroke bikes on Castrol R at original recommended mixtures and will probably do the same with Bobette when its ready.. Job done.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
ah bob but this isn't getting in the way on the thread . the question was going nowhere and was done with after my prompt reply - after that it all dive in .

i am tempted to wonder if the Hammonds cant raise a can of 2 stroke to get 2 cars going they aren't ever going to raise the funds to complete the Gordon  . would you ever ask people round and bring their own fuel to get Thumper going ?   
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »
No I would not Richard but I'm not a young lad who has had little encouragement to get his car working no doubt as a result of him being a little too young in the past.. Its not about the Hammond collection, little ever happens with that, its about encouraging young Dodger. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:11:38 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
get your point bob . hope it goes well - the encouragement and the car  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I have found using pure traditional Drivel is guaranteed to be a success, as specified, and within reasonable performance ranges. Synthetic Drivel is very hard to quantify into what % component is the carrying medium, and what the active part. Only when that is known can it be compared with tradition Drivel and a direct comparison made. It is often the case the Synthetic Drivel is in fact weaker than you think and thus less appropriate. You will find therefore I am, in nearly all cases, in favour of the best quality traditional Drivel to lubricate and be efficiently consumed as part of the charge, irrespective of the quality of the fuel element.

If this is difficult to understand I refer you to Rob Dobie who put this far more succinctly, but who might well echo my words. A clever trick using a word processor but never mind, he has been to Narnia where Aslef had been on strike for 100 years and so it was always winter. I thought that was Scarborough not Eastbourne. The alternative is to have a four stroke and no Drivel at all, but that is a little boring, I feel. Between the two you have the Wankels, who need just a touch of Drivel to keep them happy.

I think that answer most of your questions.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs