Author Topic: which type of fastenings please  (Read 3406 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
which type of fastenings please
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
Long since decided to use only stainless to assemble my cars in future but am I right ? Aren't there issues of reaction ? So please recomendations ,- or are they rules ? Ally to ally ? Ally to steel ? And steel to steel ? Whilst on the subject when to use a split washer as well ? Thanks as always . Oh and needless to say all originals were mild steel and after 60 years plus not very rusty - in fact they all came off intact from what I can make out
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:01:53 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: which type of fastenings please
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »
I think there is a Galvanic response between Ali and stainless, one becomes an electrode, the other an anode. Calls for some research.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:26:46 PM by Bob Purton »

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
Galvanic corrosion only occurs in the presence of an electrolyte - of which sea water or just plain salt spray is the most common.  So cars driven mainly in summer should not suffer from this in less than many decades.

The dog's whatsits for preventing galvanic corrosion is Duralac chromate jointing compound.  You apply it to the contact areas (threads, shank, under head and washer) of fasteners and it works a treat - used to bolt stainless fittings to aluminium masts in dinghies that will live in sea water/salt spray, so anything on a car is small beer by comparison.

£10-15 for a tiny tube seems outrageous, but then it is a boatey product (that doubles all prices for a starter) and the little tube will outlast most mortals.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »
Well not put off stainless yet and that sounds useful stuff andrew. We are by the coast , 300mtrs from the beach , and stormy weather leaves our windows and cars covered in fine salt spray but how many times will the Gordon be out in stormy weather ? Isn't their some talk of a sacrificial item or suchlike ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
Well considering the glacial speed at which Richard restores anything I dont think it will be seeing any road salt water for a very long time.  ;) ;)  Just do those bolts up Dickie!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:05:52 PM »
Ah but would I talk about then ? How long it took to restore and now I won't drive it in the rain ?  ;D tee hee . And have you seen the world news recently glaciers are speeding up even melting away . Talking of rain I have 4 open cars and a possible roof for only one of them where DO you get one made . There doesn't seem to be an answer . My man has been 3 years doing the Gordon one - can't he see it's urgent !
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:18:33 PM by richard »

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
Isn't their some talk of a sacrificial item or suchlike ?
Wildly over the top for a nominally 'dry' car.  Sacrificial anodes are fitted to ships and boats that actually live in an electrolyte.  They would be 99.something% useless on a car.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
Thanks that's the info I was after- sure I heard them discussed here before and was unsure