Author Topic: Bond Minicar MKG bonnet hinges and exterior door handles  (Read 23730 times)

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
Re: Bond Minicar MKG bonnet hinges and exterior door handles
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »
Cheers Richard as it turns out I did know about the left and right handed bonnet hinges being different but yes I can see what you mean about the angle a hinge is desighned to work at needs to be apreciated this is all good information and I must say I much prefer this forum medium as a way of sharing info and our love of micro cars its better by miles than just sending an e-mail and of course every forum member can join in long live the RUM forum. ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:47:10 PM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »
Finally I can hijack a thread and talk about the Gordon   ;D
Richard, just in case you don't know, the bonnet hinges on the Gordon were sourced from the boot of the Healey 3000.  About the only useful bit of info I know about a Gordon.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »
now how on earth did you find that out Grant ?? i have a pair now can't recall how i found out now . just realised i have recently LOST my so SCOTTISH  ;D Gordon bonnet badge , i do hope it's just mislaid  :o
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
This is my first post on the forum, so with encouragement from Richard to respond here goes.............

Yes, as Grant says, the door handles are from the Standard series, the 8 & 10 HP of the fifties I believe, as for the bonnet hinges they are I think unique to the Bond, the closest I have ever seen are from the Morris Oxford MO series of about 1950/1 but even these are a bit shorter.

Use a decent chrome plating company for the hinges I reckon and have a look on Ebay or Standard 8/10 Owners Club for the door handles
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
Looks like the TVR uses them as well
http://www.tvr-car-club.co.uk/models/pre_m_grantura_restoration.asp

You must be able to find a decent pair fairly easily I would have thought
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
now how on earth did you find that out Grant ?? i have a pair now can't recall how i found out now . just realised i have recently LOST my so SCOTTISH  ;D Gordon bonnet badge , i do hope it's just mislaid  :o
Don't loose that badge, its the best part of the car........
When Rob was putting the finishing touches to Jean's Gordon he was looking for a pair of hinges with good chrome on them.  By the profile and length they were identified as Morris Minor boot hinges.  However, the nice shiny hinges that I sent Rob would not fit, the stud positions were wrong.  Rob painted the old hinges and they were refitted.  Measured up the hinges and stud spaces at the Open day and matched them to another hinge that is used on the door of another car I own.  These were sourced from the Healey 3000.  So there you have it.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »
My Morris Isis 1955 has very similar looking hinges.  Long on the bonnet and shorter on the boot.  I cannot imagine Bond making these hinges, they must be from something else.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
My Morris Isis 1955 has very similar looking hinges.  Long on the bonnet and shorter on the boot.  I cannot imagine Bond making these hinges, they must be from something else.
If they match anything at all, it'll be from something that was in production around 1951-52 when the Mark C was being developed. I'm sure whatever it is that they were designed for (assuming that it wasn't the Bond) is going to be much more obscure.

You could always try Weston Body Hardware, the company that took over from Wilmott Breedon to see if they have any record.

http://www.westonbodyhardware.com/our-history/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
Flip in heck whose the man Nimrod Cabin and Scootercar are I think who ever invented the the term internet highway definitely got that right thanks guys questions answered and surpassed by you all ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 07:50:11 AM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
started a major sortout and found The Gordon badge previously mislaid had thought it might have gone missing at night school and was nearly blaming " those robbing scousers " they are often unfairly blamed ! all my fault . also found a nice pair of PEEL back lights n.o.s ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
All`s well that ends well then ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:03:00 PM by Jim »

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Information high way          http://standard8n10spares.co.uk/

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
at £49.95 per handle ! do people really buy 4 to go on their Standard cars Phew !!
http://standard8n10spares.co.uk/standard-vanguard-phase-1a-and-phase-2-door-handles-119-p.asp
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:28:05 PM by richard »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
Mk G door window winding gear all Stadard Penant ,
bonnet hindges Daimler Dart (?) (££££'s)

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 09:09:01 PM »
Mk G door window winding gear all Stadard Penant ,
bonnet hindges Daimler Dart (?) (££££'s)

I can confirm the door stuff (same on the more populous Standards 8 and 10, incidentally).

I reckon the Daimler Dart bonnet hinges are remarkable similar (suggesting the same designer and manufacturer) but are of different proportions.