Author Topic: Bond Minicar MKG bonnet hinges and exterior door handles  (Read 23727 times)

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
Bond Minicar MKG bonnet hinges and exterior door handles
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
Hi all, my Bond MKG chrome bonnet hinge left hand side and both door handles are realy badly pitted could probably get re chromed but don`t know if I want the shock of price re chroming so wonderd if any of you guys new where I can get replacements or just for interest what BL car they were originally made for.

I`m awaiting reply from Bond Owners Club Spares re other items so no point in using that avenue just yet.

There is a pair of early Morris 1000 bonnet hinges going on ebay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160727684242?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_165wt_1136

When I double checked using the ESM Morris car Web site I realised the stud configuration on the back of these hinges is different also not sure if they are 7¾ inch long as mine are.

The exterior door hadles on my Bond are very much like the ones you can get for the early Morris AMBASSADOR made for the indian market but once again they are different not quite the same.  :-X 
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Bond Minicar MKG bonnet hinges and exterior door handles
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
would like door handles myslf so must photograph for i.d. bonnet hinges must have  been VERY hard to get as the club have had them made but very expensive i think - but if desperate there seems no alternative . club spares still getting no reply heard it from 3 people this week ! do hope mike and renate ok but no replies to emails for the last two months seems par for the course . what do you know nick M ?

door handles 6 1/4" total length does anyone recognise them they will definetly be off something else 1958/64 ish - thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:41:30 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
Don't know about the dimensions, but the door handles look quite a lot like the Wilmot Breeden ones used on a lot of the Standard car range.

http://youraccount.ekmpowershop9.com/ekmps/shops/standardmotor/50s-locking-and-non-locking-door-handle----3-piece-kit-ss-3196-p.asp

http://www.bobine.nl/turner/07-body/turner-950-mk-1-door-locks/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:47 AM »
 studs further apart on these early Morris 1000 hinges
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:19:22 AM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
   Bond stud arangement

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:44:31 AM »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
Thanks rusty will check that one out - it looks correct though not cheap at 80 pair IF you are a member of that club ! Bond had contacts with Standard Triumph of course through the Bond Equipe range .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:40:23 AM »
Just to keep you all up to date I have just had a reply from ESM regards the Early Morris 1000 and the hinges they are supplying are shorter in lengh.

The hinge part no SV201 is only 7” long and I cannot help with the door handle either

Good luck with your search

Kind Regards,

Jeff@ESM

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
Jim I am sure that the bonnet hinges are not off anything as common as that or the club , mike hele. , would not have spent a lot of time and money having them specially cast . Bond owners have looked. For years .

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
would like door handles myslf so must photograph for i.d. bonnet hinges must have  been VERY hard to get as the club have had them made but very expensive i think - but if desperate there seems no alternative . club spares still getting no reply heard it from 3 people this week ! do hope mike and renate ok but no replies to emails for the last two months seems par for the course . what do you know nick M ?

door handles 6 1/4" total length does anyone recognise them they will definetly be off something else 1958/64 ish - thanks
Richard,
Mick & Renate are on holiday in Italy and are away for another 2 weeks.  Prior that they were at 'Bonds Abroad'
Jim,
I would seriously consider having your old hinges and handles re-chromed.  This will be much cheaper than locating new parts.  I use Prestige Plating of Mexborough and they are very reasonable.  I have had badly pitted Mazak re-chromed by the with great results. 
All hinges and handles came from the Wilmot Breeden parts bin.  The bonnet hinges have never been identified hence why Bond Spares have re-manufactured them several times over the last 25 years.  You can fit a pair of Morris Minor boots hinges (as fitted to my MkF Family) but you must re-drill the locating holes in the body and change the profile of the hinge surface by removing the studs and filing some material away.  Healey 3000 boots hinges will so do the job and their stud spacing should fit the Bond but the profile still needs altering.
The boot hinges on the MkG Estate and Ranger were also fit to the Riley RM series.  Door handles are from the Standard range as are the bumpers for Mk E-G.
Just collected a batch of MkG chrome hubs caps today for Bond Spares so Mick will have them back in stock soon.  New ones are far cheaper than having the old ones re-chromed  :)
Grant

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
thanks Grant - very pleased to hear mike and renate just busy . Prestige for chroming thanks for that tip .
have been thinking about this company - recommended by a letter to OBM a couple of months ago - and i can get there easily . they do look quite professional and were said to be reasonably priced
http://www.ashfordchroming.com/area/chrome-plating/Ashton-under-Lyne

i do need a small split brazing on a headlamp rim does anyone on the forum braze and could do a favour please , don't mind paying or please where can i get it done - thanks

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:41:18 PM »
Whats the bezel made from? Steel? Brass? Why dont you silver solder it?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »
brass headlamp rim , but i know nothing of these arts  :(

Jim

• Chatty
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:21:17 AM »
Cheers Grant will definatly be looking into getting parts re chromed thanks for the other info very helpfull, Like you I have passed on info to Mike about items, I called him about three weeks ago about tyres but he was having probs getting there supplier of tyres to deliver in a reasonable time period,  problems at the docks apparently so I agreed if I came across an alternative supplier I would let him know as it turned out I was successful in getting three tyres delivered to me the next day so I sent the details onto Mike by e-mail who knows Mike might be able to get them further discounted if he orders more than I did, as the add say’s every little helps.  ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Yes as Grant makes clear it's not only the length of hinge and the stud spacing that needs to be correct . They are handed left and right but also the angle at which they work can be very different . A pair came with my Gordon but the bonnet would only half open as then the two hinges were working against each other and they came to a stop . All information that is near impossible to ascertain on the net . You can buy a pair that measure up and fit but won't work !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 05:14:27 PM by richard »