Author Topic: Isetta rear light glasses  (Read 20291 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Isetta rear light glasses
« on: September 07, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Last weekend at the National the Isetta spares secretary took great delight in telling me that the glass lenses on my rear lights were the wrong type. Apparently there are two different profiles, one is flatter than the other, this is not the large plastic type light but the smaller glass lens one. Although this doesn't bother me I guess I had better set an example and change them for the right ones. Does anyone know the correct lens part number so that I can keep an eye out for them please. Ironically all the incorrect parts on my car were supplied by the Isetta owners club to the previous owner in the 1990's. :D Lets hope things are changing for the better.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Isetta rear light glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »
As you were talking to the Isetta spares secretary why didn't you order the "proper" ones from "the" man?  ???  Or is it like most owner's clubs, "Oh, you can only get your parts if you're in our club!"  ::)
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
I recently purchased a selection of Isetta lenses. My Isetta came without any of its lenses and still requires some more restoration. Are these the plastic versions that you do not want? The inscription says Lucas L581. Picture attached.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
Pretty sure I have some at home but should be some here at very cheap price . 2 phones with me and reception worse than ever .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
If they are the ones you need, see my add in the next RUMCAR NEWS when it arrives, I have three sets for sale.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

golo2

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »
My limited experience of these has shown up that there are many shades of red (probably not 50!) but enough to look a little strange if extremes of scale are fitted to each side!

Taken along time to suggest that maybe  buy two together and hold them up to the light etc to check colour match. I think they are very common and used on lots of other cars. The plastic ones are also early Land Rover??
Another random discovery is size difference of Isetta rear screens. Fitted one after a fight 1-2hrs. It would not settle properly so out it came and I lined up my 5 rear screens   1/2" difference betwen biggest and smallest. Used smallest went in in 10-15mins and settled over 24hrs to look spot on (or is that a toy car?)
After 10 yrs of slow progress the car may it be ready for next year -but I did say that 3 yrs ago!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
Back now from Beaulieu , Jean that certainly is a Lucas used on Isettas but Bob is after a different one also used . that Lucas Landrover type is common enough  .  

Whilst there bob messaged me to see could i find the  Lucas lens LMP111 , apparently deeper than the VERY common L 488 ( several hundred spotted , literally ) - well i had no luck at all !! despite visiting i guestimated well over 1000 autojumble stalls and rummaging deeply.
Lucas lenses are usually , i think , simply known by an L followed by a 3 digit code so LMP111 was a different sort of number . the only lens that i found slightly deeper than L489 was the Butler of the same diameter . no wonder Bob that you have not got these LMP111's they are rare - if your info's right - but i did try !!
as regards golo2's points yes indeed they vary in shade an awful lot ! not only that but these Lucas glass rear lenses L488 are not identical in that some quote a BS number quite clearly which others do not . these are both glass originals but different .
just googled LUCAS LMP111 and you get a film projector bulb , whereas L111 on it's own is a john deere tractor .  
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:56:26 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 06:41:09 PM »
Just to muddy the waters even further, looking through another parts catalogue, it seems that the L number moulded on the lens is the part number for the complete light assembly - there are sidelight and indicator versions of L488 as well as the red ones. The lens itself has a different part number, I couldn't find any reference to a light L111, rear lights are generally in the L400 to L599 range but part number 572704/111 is the part number for the red lens marked L488.

574226/111 is this lens

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Magnette-lens-lucas-NOS-574226-/130947158033

Looks vaguely Isetta-like to my untrained eye but is 2 7/8" diam and marked L538 whereas the one marked L488 is given as 2 3/8" diam.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
 crikey malcolm go to the back of the class !that light is SO different . that is definetly muddying the waters - just a different Lucas light used on different non-micros . as you say L488 is not the actual part number but the complete light unit number  , easier to look for as it's clearly marked . i suspect Lucas LMP111 is incorrect for Bob .

i guess bob is away on holiday or something or he would be offerring me grovelling apologies for sending me on a wild goose chase for LMP111's which don't appear to exist  :) - mind whilst looking i did find several of those Excelsior Triple engines at Beaulieu - now who wanted one ? :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 12:16:27 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
Ahhh! Just returned from a lovely holiday at Ross on Wye.
Sorry I was unable to participate in the rear light debate. Thanks for everyone's input. Now to answer a few points, firstly, Rob, I didn't order parts from the parts secretary there and then for several reasons, 1. I'm not a member, 2, I don't trust the judgement yet of the new secretary, I'm hoping he knows his onions but I could quite easily rush out and buy what he says is correct for my car and the following week find out he is wrong. I need to do some research here. 3. Would they have them anyway? The spares scheme has only just been restarted.

Next Richard, I did find this link for Morris minor parts that list the very parts you are doubting exist.  http://www.morrisminorspares.net/shopsearch.php?search=LMP110&cat=All&x=13&y=16

It would also be good to know when the later plastic Landrover lights were used on Isettas. Does anyone know please?
What I should have done is noted the ones on Dave Watsons Blue car as he says he has everything as it should be and it always wins the concours [it is never driven, arrives in a box van and leaves in one!] but I'm sure he would have got the rear lights correct. No hurry, but it would be good to get my light sorted for next years season.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
right ! back from hols lets put this one to bed . what are your current lights on Thumper Bob ? if you dont have the, very common , larger wipac land rover ones and you don't have the , even more common , Lucas L488 , what DO you have ? and are you sure they are incorrect ?
as you suggested , by email i think, that number you were quoting may be a Morris Minor part number and not a Lucas number .
i certainly have L488 original glasses FOC and possibly fair original rims - but rims are common brand new on ebay and would best for thumper .

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Right, I just laid down beside the car and copied this from the lens.    Grade E1 BUTLERS 1635 England BS2156 then the kite mark. As you can see in the picture the side protrudes out from the chrome ring by about 14mm.  I'm pretty sure they are wrong, most I have seen have one that hardly protrudes at all and now I see that they are Butlers not Lucas that conclusive. So, I'm looking for a matching pair of L488 lenses with good red colouration.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
yep you have BUTLERS same external size i think so simple swap lens cover , strangely those BUTLERS also used on earlier Land rovers

i have 7 of these Lucas's , all slightly scratched 40/60 years old  but selected 2 good 'uns - in the post monday FOC

oops just re-read earlier message bob - you were querying when Isettas changed to larger L581 did you verify before or after yours ? wont send till you verify then ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:00:26 PM by richard »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
Hi Richard. No, we established that Thumper was made roughly around or just before the switch over so I'm sticking with the glass ones. This is all very decent of you old chap! Not quite sure of what FOC stands for but I'm hoping is stands for free of charge and that your not swearing at me! :o As a consequence I will have a pair of Butlers 1635's surplus to requirements if anyone is in need of them. Cheers.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »
great of course it means free . butlers again very plentiful - sell them on ebay for Landrover