Author Topic: How's this for a cracking outfit!  (Read 18005 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: How's this for a cracking outfit!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 02:04:58 PM »
I love Fergies, a relative had a small farm in Cumbria and he sometimes let me drive his ancient grey Fergie around the fields when I was 10.

Harry Ferguson invented the three point harness/hook-up for tractors and revolutionised tractors and farming overnight, genius. And micro, compared to modern tractors!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:50 PM »
Here's some photos to tie a motorcycle combination to microcars. All taken on vintage box cameras in the 1960-70s.
My Panther combination sold in 1963 to buy the Bond Mk C. Then roll on to 1975, I was given back the combo in '76 when I swapped it for the Tourette.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:17:24 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »
I love Fergies, a relative had a small farm in Cumbria and he sometimes let me drive his ancient grey Fergie around the fields when I was 10.

Harry Ferguson invented the three point harness/hook-up for tractors and revolutionised tractors and farming overnight, genius. And micro, compared to modern tractors!

Perfect Marcus  ;D ;D ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
Well you didn't respond to the garden spade Marcus - or am I digging a hole ?  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 02:55:54 PM »
My only interest in spades is when they are getting spudtatties out of the ground, nom!

Another nerdy factoid about Fergies: to demonstrate and publicise the revolutionary new harness HF contacted a small company which made injection moulded plastic combs and commissioned them to make a plastic model of a grey Fergie. Tooling was far easier if it was assembled from several parts...a kit....and this was the start of the Airfix all us anoraks know and love.

Yet another Nerdy Fergie factoid: I believe that large engine parts on the Fergie were also used on London Taxis, land Rovers and Austin Healeys, but happy to be corrected if wrong.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 03:20:34 PM »
Well that is interesting . So something came out of Barry's topic
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
For sure, and I don't mind a bit of thread drift in Off Topic!

(Is "Off Topic" any relation to "Rotten Snickers"?!)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
I always thought the Fergie engine was based on the one fitted to the Standard Vanguard and Triumph Renown, both of which I had at the same time as my collection of microcars.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
Could be those! Possibly all of them!

I remember being told it was the lower part of the engine and it was used for some petrol and even some diesel engines, but perhaps my memory is playi...

....damn, I can't remember what I was going to write!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »
Well that is interesting . So something came out of Barry's topic

Bobs Topic - He is the perpetrator of all this interesting stuff!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »
You worry about me Bob? I worry about myself.

And here is one for you. An early eco friendly outfit.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-electric-cycle/query/Winn

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
Harry Ferguson was in the same mould as Laurie Bond and all the other icons of British engineering genius
The Ferguson was made by the Standard motor company and all the engines expect the early continental were made at there Canley plant for the tractors and there cars including some of the TR range
It also powered some of the later MF135 petrol tractors in the seventies
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Nothing to do with his aircraft engines then?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
Great video Barry! And cheers for the info issysuy, makes sense that it was used in TRs rather than Healeys!

Slight drift but vaguely connected: I think Norman de Bruyn should be far better known as another great scientist/inventor. He was one of the main inventors of 2 pack adhesives, paints and sealing, including Araldite, Aerolite and Redux pkus others, and plus thousands of copies of his products around the world, licensed or not!

Redux uses epoxy glue at high temperature and pressure to bond things extremely strongly, including all windows in pressurised aircraft, without Redux Whittle's jet Engine would have been no more than a purposeless curiosity! I know of no cases where Redux has failed in flight! Sadly, when de Havilland was designing the Mk1 Comet jet Airliner they just could not believe that this fantastic new adhesive process alone would be safe, so they insisted on adding metal plates and rivets, and it was stress cracks caused by these that led to the failures. Furthermore, with just Redux, even the infamous square shape of the Mk 1's windows would not have been a problem: other jet planes like the Lockheed L 1011 Tristar have even squarer windows, and no failures as far s I know.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 10:53:38 PM »
How amazing! My Mum did housework for a Brigadier Gordon de Bruyne and family in the '60s. He was a relation of Norman. They had lots of land in South America and farmed sheep etc.
Also in late '74 I bought Brigadier Gordon's 1954 Triumph Renown later selling it in '76 to fund the start of my micro collection. This thread is getting better and better. Bad photo shows the Renown after I resprayed it.