Author Topic: NEC classic car show  (Read 22168 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
NEC classic car show
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »
I have never been to this before but am thinking of attending this year. Is anyone else going? Is it worth going?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: NEC classic car show
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
Having been for the last few years I feel a bit been there done that . Apart from the 2 micro stands there's little for me . The motorcycle stands are good . Jumble very poor . So decided to skip it and spend time and money elsewhere this year . I will miss it , I get the impression that the main Micro clique barely stray from the stand , I may be wrong .....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:36:01 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
This year again there will be three Microcar stands all located together.  Heinkel Trojan Club, Isetta Owners Club and NMCR will be working hard over  the 3 days promoting our hobby, makes, models, clubs and rallies.  For those who are planning to attend make sure you visit www.national-microcar-rally.co.uk before hand as there are details about reduced ticket prices.
As Richard has mentioned the auto jumble is not what it used to be but the bike show and its auto jumble is well worth a visit and many have had luck with finding parts.  Not aware of any 'clique' in attendance but perhaps I not allowed to be in the know  ;).  I expect the Peel Mafia will be in attendance though.......
The primary aim of all those involved is to raise the profile of our hobby and we are succeeding.  Over the last few years there has been acknowledgement from those at 'higher levels' that out cars and stands are worthy of awards and easily compete with the old favourites at such shows.
Grant

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
Good points well made Grant . I was trying to reply specifically to Bob' question - is it worth going ? The 3 Micro stands are very impressive and have always got a lot of attention from the general public, very glad they are there and flying the flag. BUT what is there for a microman other than what he has already seen at Malvern ? The Motorcycle jumble does sometimes have something of interest but so do the numerous local autojumbles .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
I get the impression that the main Micro clique barely stray from the stand

How can they when so many people want to look at and know about the microcars on the stands?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
I will be at this show on Friday, who else is going?

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »
Hi Bob
          I am going up on Thursday having a meal with my daughter and going to the show on Friday - see you there ;D
                                                                                                                         Mike

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
now of course wish i was going - have a great weekend all - some of us will be oiling the wheels of commerce tomorrow !

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »
Poor old Richard. We will spare a thought for you as we totally immerse our selves in the intoxicating world of classic vehicle! As we converse all day at the microcar stands and gaze admiringly at the breath-taking display of vintage motorcycles! Drinking coffee with old microchums etc etc etc!  Change your mind yet???? ;D ;D ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »
afraid not. i tell you what could anyone take black and white photo's at the show  ? get some real period feel to them i would like to see the comparison as i often prefer the b/w PLEASE - PRETTY PLEASE

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
You should be able to change your polychrome photos on your computer to monochrome like this.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Never thought  to Rob . What I meant was to use black and white film . I haver seen a modern and colour photo that could get anywhere near the quality of that last Bruetsch photo I posted . So much for progress  ???

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »
Dear Richard

My brother had an old commerce that had been built as a motor caravan. It was deadly slow. He took the whole family down to Greece in it. I would not have taken it to the end of the road.

What colour is your one?

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
the colour of my commerce is immaterial but the wheels are well oiled - one of my best days business ever- strange really . hope the show was as good as usual , looking forward to photos

i suppose you could say he Greeced his wheels perhaps that made it slower - did he go via Bedford or the Thames
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:19:55 PM by richard »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
Never thought  to Rob . What I meant was to use black and white film . I haver seen a modern and colour photo that could get anywhere near the quality of that last Bruetsch photo I posted . So much for progress  ???

It was probably taken with a medium format film camera, something like an MPP or a Speed Graphic with a 5x4" negative. The camera would have set you back the equivalent of about £2500 at today's prices (and good ones haven't dropped a great deal in price since then). Medium format digital equivalents are now available, and obviously have the advantage of being able to take hundreds of pics without reloading, but you're looking at more like £6500 to start - although you could always hire one.

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/article/12/Hire.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"