Author Topic: Wanted part for Bond C/D please  (Read 13879 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Wanted part for Bond C/D please
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »
wanted please the little front wing embellisher/headlamp locater scruffy/ damaged  . They are used in the same way on The Gordon but they have no "tail" . the only ones i have are a decent Bond type and i would have to cut off the "tails "  . These are now i believe quite rare so what i am asking for is a pair of them with damaged / broken tails to save destroying a good pair .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 01:04:14 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Wanted part for Bond C/D please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »
They look easy enough to make Richard.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:40:50 PM »
well yes i suppose so .... but i have half made a pair and they are looking awful . not my thing how would you go about it ? interested
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
Difficult to say without seeing one in the flesh but my first thought would be to shape them out of solid brass on a linisher and then chrome plate them.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 09:11:57 PM »
sounds as if you know what your doing but i was filing them very badly from a block of aluminium and they are far from good . i guess i will just end up cutting the tails off the Bond ones , and then chroming -  but it does seem a shame .

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
I suppose you need to laser scan the bond ones then adjust the shape in a CAD package like solidworks.
From that you can generate a cutter path and CNC mill as many as you like in whatever material you like - Stainless?

For instance:-
http://www.laser-scanning.co.uk/?gclid=CO2u_qnSlLoCFZPItAodL0MARg

You would still have to hand finish / polish them.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »
I despair at you lot sometimes! :D Can nobody make the simplest of things these days free hand without swallowing a bucket load of technology? If you send me a pattern Richard I will make them for you. How do you think they made the plug to mold the originals ?  It certainly wasn't with CNC CAD or even a CSE! :D

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
Bob,
Your chosen technique of linishing a compound curved surface of continuously variable radii shows that your free hand machinist skills have reached a higher degree of mastery than is common to be found even within the sub group of professional machinists.
I would have had to settle for making a dental type mould, then preheating it and pouring it full of "tin soldier" metal melted by blow torch in a crucible.  Then cutting and grinding off the tail and drilling and tapping for the stud mounts.
Might even get away without chroming if the casting and polishing went well enough.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
My hand carved ones were never going to be good enough I do know that . I will take up Bobs extremely kind offer

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 07:10:36 PM »
I'm quite good at whittling.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 07:22:33 PM »
Could you use a toolmakers alexander pantograph (may be 2D) or 3D copy mill to copy up to 3:1  in solid acrylic or other machinable plastic.  Then perfect the scaled up model.  Then pantograph back down to scale size and clean-up?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pantograph+alexander&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source?%7D&rlz=1I7GGIC_en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sIddUriKOeXL0AXaiYGADg&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=1099&dpr=1

http://www.hhrobertsmachinery.com/Milling_machines/Millstar-knee/Millstar-tracer/Millstar-tracer.html

Just have to find some one with the right gear.  Once you have a pattern you can make hundreds of them.............................queue here!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:41:23 PM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
Funny enough Barry I handle antique Pantograghs and planimeters in the course of my work but nothing like those beasties! When I make something like this I usually cut out the horizontal profile on the band saw. then the vertical and after that it freestyle all the way! I would imagine thats pretty much how a 1950's man in a brown coat would have done it in the pattern makers workshop. Without the assistance of the starship enterprise. :D Anyway, lets not get too excited, I may make a right cods up of it! I will do a trial run in hardwood.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »
I am absolutely certain you will do a fine job (and the second one will look almost the same as the first  ;D)

If someone has access to a copy mill it is so much quicker, easier and repeatable.  Not necessarily any more accurate than your fine stone age skills though!

The Alexander pantagraph has been around for donkeys years (it's been obsolete for donkeys years too)  I am pretty sure it was a vital piece of equipment for Pattern Makers.  

Certainly it was for mould tool makers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:42:08 PM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »
As Neanderthals were no less intelligent than you or I I will not take offence at that Barry. ;D  Cave man skills they are and still earn me a living.  I used to know an old chap who worked for Fords most of his life,  his job was exclusively modelling car parts in clay, interiors mainly, steering wheels, dash boards, all mocked up in clay first, he loved his job and who wouldn't!
Making parts by hand and by eye are all path of the coarse in my line of work, two parts from an antique instrument will look exactly the same until you put some callipers across them and see they are not, its called hand made!  On decorative parts it doesn't matter unless its a scale or optics on an instrument. The same applies to old hand made car body panels, no two are the same just so long as its not picked up by the eye its doesn't matter. My Inter front wheel fenders are very different when placed side by side but on the car you would never know. With mechanical parts of course its a different story precision is all. Being a tape measure designer though Barry, I guess you cant resist the temptation to measure everything? ;D