Author Topic: The Flying Scotchman  (Read 1750 times)

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
The Flying Scotchman
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:52:43 PM »
Did anyone else watch this program today? Lovely British Isetta at 31:27 and a Berkeley (which model?) at 32:05. Can be viewed on the BBC iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b008m6wb/The_Flying_Scotsman_A_Rail_Romance/
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: The Flying Scotsman
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
ooh crikey don't let grant see your spelling wilksie you turned scotsman into scotchman ! HM

i will now go and have a peep .

had that peep and it looks a great little programme will catch it properly tomorrow
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:16:38 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
Re: The Flying Scotchman
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »
Sorry it's late and had a glass of one myself. Embarrassing though.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: The Flying Scotchman
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
I have seen it before and it was welll wortha 2nd look so cheers for posting, have just watched it again.

Brief shot of an Isetta, and some other nice old vehicles to be seen. Either a Berkeley or Sprite briefly in b/g in petrol station.

Music from 8.20 -about 10 mins is one of my favourites: The Rite Of Spring by Stravinsky, copied/immitated by loads of film composers including John Williams!

One of the model  F.S. locos shown seems to be the one Squeak bought for me, parts plus magazine every week. The model is now basically complete and needs to be fully dis-assembled for painting then final assembly. Not just any old model, a real piece of minature engineering and a very tough challenge as my eyesight is not what it once was.

I loved every minute of this programme, but one thing to gripe about at the very end...the narrator said that Britain invented Steam Locomotion. Steam power yes, steam railway locos yes, but steam locomotion no! "Locomotion" includes on roads or ground, so French man Nicholas Cugnot was the first to achieve that with his "Fardier" carriage, long before Richard Trevithick built the world's first railway loco. Mr P.E Dant.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face