Author Topic: Hatches battened down  (Read 8242 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Hatches battened down
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
with the forecast for overnight for " the storm of the century " i have been out and fastened the wheels back on the Gordon , taken it off the trailer and pushed it round to put it back in the garage . much neglected both car and garage . it was just too vulnerable up on axle stands with an oversize tarpaulin badly fitted . we are forecast to be on the outer limits of the storm but everyone seems to be out securing fencing , roofs , plants pots etc. etc.
i do hope those further south are being cautious - especially Gordon owners still in Dorset !  ;)  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:19:54 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Hatches battened down
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
Yes, I just put our dustbin in the garage as I dare say it would be over in next doors garden by the morning!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »
hope it's not with your workshop roof  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »
What storm ?              Nick in S.W. France       
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:29:15 PM »
the one i think you might hear about in N.W. France  ;) midnight onwards they're talking of

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:09 PM »
Dear panick stricken friends.

The storm will be severe but not as severe as 1987, for two reasons, firstly the predicted wind speeds are not as high as 1987 but also the trees have mostly lost their leaves, and so the number of trees blown over should be less. True the ground is saturated by all the rain we have had, but it was the trees in full leaf that was a major factor in them being blown over.

The track of the storm is further north than 1987 and will affect more towns and cities.

Wind is not discresionary. If there is a weakness in a fixing, or the weight to surface area ratio is unable to resist the wind uplift suction force, then what ever it is will be blown away, and may do secondary damage, like a chimney pot bouncing down the roof and landing on your car. Cars in garages are no safer than those standing outside, as the light roofs over garages have been known to colapse inwards.

The people who were killed by the 1987 storm were all tree related incidents.

I have made a living for the last 25 years fom the effects of wind so, I have cleared my diary and if it is anything like 1987, I should be a busy boy.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
"I have made a living for the last 25 years from the effects of wind"
There is a joke there somewhere involving an air freshener salesman! :D

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
All the trees around me in East Sussex still have their leaves on. Have to see if they are nude in the morning.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:56 AM »
Well nothing happened at all so far in NW England and we were forecast an inch of rain over night .
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:59:00 PM by richard »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 08:29:09 AM »
Trees still have leaves. The birds are able to fly safely. But, commuters are staying away. Only three cars parked on the road outside my house, usually there's 30. Oh, and the sun is shining. I think I'll go cut the lawn.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 09:25:55 AM »
Well that wasn't so bad! Here in Essex the leaves are still on the trees like yesterday, I slept right through it but did wake up to one broken fence panel. Two questions spring to mind, who let Michael Fish out of the old folks home to make the wrong prediction, and why have all the trees around Chris's way lost there leaves before everywhere else? :D  Seems like a storm in a teacup unless we just got off lightly locally.

Just heard a girl was killed by a tree in Edenbridge , not far from Chris so obviously some had it far worse than others.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 10:13:06 AM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »
I am down in Strood with Squeak, got woken up by wind noise and car alarms a few times last night. Parts of her fence have been knocked over but not too bad. We weighed her fabric "green house" down with bricks and theyhave shifted quite a bit but did hold it down. Blue sky and sun now.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Dear Bob

In answer to your question, Being on the top of the north downs, it is a few degrees colder here, so we loose our leaves a little earlier than down in the valley. My postman has seen three trees blocking the roads up here, which is nothing compared with 1987.

Mentioning wind engineering, or the effects of wind, or making a living from wind, always raises a smile.

Keep smiling

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
Ah that explains it Chris. We are sheltered here in suburbia. We have two large trees in the street outside which if were to fall our way would certainly squash our bungalow. Its always a concern on a stormy day. I trust all is well at Editor HQ?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
I remember the tornado which devastated our street in Montevideo when I was about 5, now that's what I call a storm!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face