Author Topic: Bond Minicar Forum  (Read 29037 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bond Minicar Forum
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »
Looks identical to the light on the back of an Austin A35 to me.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
I always thought that Butler did it.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »
Can anybody advise me on the windscreen wiper motor? Is it a Lucas item that I might find on Ebay?

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
Should be one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331044091056?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

also fitted to Nobel and Scootacar in 12v form and Bond Mk C and Peel in 6v

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
 A hard weekend filling, sanding and priming. Still loads to do.

I've been told the wing piping should be painted the same as the body colour.  How about the piping between the widscreen frame and the main body? It appears to not be painted but it looks like the only way to get it off the car is to drill all the rivets and remove the dashboard. Should I paint it or not?

Thanks

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
windscreen, not widscreen!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09:37 PM »
 ;) to answer the question , when built the seal would have been plain black rubber but unless stripping the car apart i imagine no-one would see anything wrong in a painted sealing strip - there really is no alternative . The wing piping i imagine was chosen by the factory to be a good match to the body colour , rather than painted ? or am i wrong here ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »
On the C's and D's at least, the rubber strips were always painted, including the one between the windscreen frame and the main body. I think they were all black originally, but now you can get other colours and some people have used this to good effect!
Malcolm

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that ALL Marks of Minicar had the piping painted:  my A and my G both originally had it painted (and both now aren't, as I think a coloured piping run looks good, and is less likely to bubble up over time).

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
but the question really related to the rubber sealing strip between windscreen frame and body and surely that would have been left black rubber wouldn't it ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »
It was certainly painted in situ on my car and has been on most of the seemingly unrestored cars I've seen. I've also been told the same by a couple of long-standing members of the club. Unfortunately all the early factory photos are in black & white, but if you look at these enlargements of painted cars coming off the production line, you can see the black rubber around the windscreen stands out, whereas the strip beneath which runs between the windscreen frame and the body doesn't. The B&W photo of a restored car with the strip unpainted hopefully illustrates the difference. Other factory photos show the cars with the bodywork (minus windscreen glass) fully assembled but unpainted, and I can't imagine Sharp's doing this only to have to take them apart again.
Malcolm

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
i think i must be wrong - again  :) maybe i am thinking only of the early Mark A's with perspex screens , they certainly had an unpainted black rubber seal . maybe that bottom pic has something dark going on though doesn't it ?

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
i think i must be wrong - again  :) maybe i am thinking only of the early Mark A's with perspex screens , they certainly had an unpainted black rubber seal . maybe that bottom pic has something dark going on though doesn't it ?

Is the bottom pic you refer to the one I've craftily named "restored"?

I think you're right about the Mark A's with perspex screens and I wouldn't consider it beyond the bounds of possibility that some cars slipped through Sharp's meticulous quality control and ended up for sale with an unpainted rubber strip between the screen and body. If the screen frame got damaged while the glass was being installed for instance.
Malcolm

Nimrod Cabin

• Chatty
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »
Check out the wing piping colour of this Mark F Ranger, got to be quick at time 2:26

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03fv7sl/Timeshift_Series_13_Full_Throttle_The_Glory_Days_of_British_Motorbikes/

Well?? Possibly not, all very interesting though.
7 x Bond Minicars ABCCDDF

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Great stuff !! didn't really get the piping but what the heck  :)