Author Topic: New wiring harness  (Read 2038 times)

Jim

• Chatty
  • Just aquired 1963 Bond needs loads of resto work
New wiring harness
« on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
I am restoring a Bond Minicar MKG Twin the old wiring harness was so badly modified changed and chopt up when I got the car that I decided to just discard it problem is after purchasing a new wiring harness now from a well known company in Nottingham I now find that there are just so many differences in the colour coding against the wiring diagrams as was supplied by Sharps its all becoming a bit daunting I am wondering if any of you on Rum Cars forum dwellers have had similar problems when fitting new wiring harnesses and if so can you can clarify or disagree with some of my assumptions I am making I have tried to list some of them:    

Wiring harness was for a single cylinder with reverse solenoid but modifying for my twin without reversing solenoid should not be to much of a problem

Will change the wiring to now include an ammeter and an in line 50amp fuse thus add a bonus of fusing the series winding on the control box  as detailed in Bond Minicar Tips

Car had been converted to forward only at some time in its past history and so only had three wires coming from stator, I have decided to retain this mod, problem is new wiring harness has loads of wires appertaining to reverse and I will now need to identify and insulate all of them out of use

Many of the wires on the new harness do not match the colours as was originally shown in the wiring diagrams by Sharps, examples are wires at the instrument panel end include several black and yellow tracer leads which I am assuming are a different interpretation of white black lead that should go thee ways from No 15 on the ignition switch, also the new harness does not have a slate or silver coloured lead for the 50 terminal on ignition switch going to 50 on control box but instead it appears to be changed to a light green wire, have included a picture of this wire that I have attached at the control box,  I am now thinking the best way forward is to get a circuit continuity tester.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:31:10 AM by Jim »
Had Bond Minicar MKG in 1967 never forget your first car so just had to get enougher one now and restore it