Author Topic: Chrome port hole vents.  (Read 2779 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Chrome port hole vents.
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Has anyone had any experience of fitting classic 50's/60's porthole shaped vent covers? These were a common thing on some scooters and cars of that period, Ford Zodiac etc.
My question is how is the centre mess fixed? I was told by the seller that the mesh is sandwiched between the car body and the chrome bezel. My problem with that is that there is no recess for the mesh to fit into so this result in the bezel not making contact with the body, sticking out in other words. The mesh cannot fit on the inside of the body as the diameter of the mesh disc is too small. I am fitting these to a fibreglass body and have made up my own fitting method, the body is quite thick so I fitted the chrome bezel first then inserted the mesh disc from the inside and then made retaining sprung rings that hold the mesh in by gripping the inside edge of the hole. Works fine but I'm sure this is not the correct way . Can anyone enlighten me please?  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:54:12 AM by Bob Purton »

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: Chrome port hole vents.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Hi Bob
          You seem to have bought reprodoction immitation port holes - these could be the ones I saw for sale at the NEC show two years ago - they were marked up at £2 each ( without the centre ) in a box marked Ascot - I presumed the were for gas boilers to light the Pilot Light - I thought at the time that they would make ideal port holes with a bit of stamped up sheet inside them - there were more tham 100 in the box and when about an hour later I went back to buy 2 they had all gone - I assumed a dealer had bought them - I was going to sell them for £10 each but I was beaten by another dealer. You do see some originals around but not six of them - So glad you managed to fix them to your bodywork - they were designed to go on gas boilers.
                                                                                                                                                           Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 03:08:24 PM »
I've made that same mistake many times Mike, when you see something you want you have to make a decision there and then and buy them, they are invariably gone when you go back later. We all do it though!  I needed a matching set of four and managed to collect three old ones over a period of a few years but a fourth one has always eluded me. It would have cost a few quid to have the old ones replated so buying four already done was a reasonable option. I don't know if the ones I just bought are repro or old ones refurbished but either way the dimensions are identical to the old corroded ones I have. Even the reverse side is the same, no makers markings. My three old ones were all found at autojumbles  as opposed to boilerfests so I'm not sure I subscribe to your theory Mike but who knows! :D.
Regards the fitting of them, I can see now how they were meant to fit, by and large they would have gone onto thin metal body work so the mesh would have gone on from behind and held there by a washer over the studs. My problem was fitting them to a much thicker material, fiberglass. Anyway, I'm pretty chuffed with them The old ones are now on evilbay.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:52:35 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:06:47 PM »
they are looking the part and your making good PROGRESS - really cooking with GAS  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
Are these the fellas?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:26:23 PM »
NAAH it's one of these  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977