Author Topic: R.A Harding Invalid Carriage Chair  (Read 7730 times)

Harding

• Just Starting
R.A Harding Invalid Carriage Chair
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
Hi, I am looking to find out any information on R.A Harding Invalid Carriage Chair i'm looking to restore. It would be great to see a picture of what it would look like, how old it is…..anything.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: R.A Harding Invalid Carriage Chair
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Welcome Harding.

You risk being hung drawn and quartered by posting in the Unusual Microcar Discussion section.
Best to use the Invalid Carriage section in the future.

Stuart Cyphus is your man and I am sure he will get in touch.

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:40:25 PM by Barry »

Harding

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
Hi Barry

Thanks for heads up........I am a newbie :)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:53 PM »
 No doubt Jim will merge the two topics in due course, but as the original ask and pictures are here, I'll pitch here....

This Harding is 1978. Most post-war hand propelled tricycles supplied by the Ministry of Health are all dated by way of the "HAD" number, which is their internal reference to which supply contract relates to which manufacture. In R.A Harding's case, their Ministry reference number was 204, so HAD204/78 translates as a Ministry-spec Harding HP built in 1978. As also seen on the plate, it is a Model 33J, meaning it is a lever-operated tricycle (Model 33) and possibly a Juvenile size (the possible meaning of the "J").

Myself and others were having quite a discussion about this Harding when it was on eBay, and as I quote from myself....

"This is somewhat interesting. Having traced a few old Harding company ex-employees a few years back, I had always understood Harding HP production had ended in 1973, yet here's one quite clearly stamped 1978! And look at that frame and rear axle! Evidently this is a totally new era & type of Harding HP for the lists and one for the history books as clearly Harding HP history goes on quite a bit later than originally thought. Mind you, 1978 would still fit the history, as the last Model 70's were built in the last days of March 1978 before all production of powered invalid three-wheelers ended, so it would make sense for production of Ministry HP tricycles to have continued side by side in the same time scale as the powered ones and therefore end at the same time."

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
Hi Stuart and Harding

I think this is the machine I had a call about when I was at the Stafford bike show last month.  I said I'd give Stuart a call but I'm
afraid it slipped my mind until today when I logged in to post in a new topic.

Glad to see Stuart has commented and hope Harding gets the machine sorted.

Nick D.

Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
apoplectic !!!  ;D poor bob  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Harding

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:15:26 PM »
Hi Stuart thank you for the reply and info it's much appreciated