Author Topic: 1945 Harding Electric Invalid Carriage - What speed should I expect from it?  (Read 4057 times)

Tony

• Just Starting
  • Collecting the history of mobility scooters in NZ
Stuart or anyone!
Can you please tell me what speed I should  expect from my 1945  Harding electric Invalids Carriage.
I had my one in a parade last Sunday. I only had a couple of 50 Amp batteries fitted and I estimate the top speed to be about 18 kph  and  it  didn't have much torque on a slight hill.
I haven't had a chance to check the brushes or anything but the brakes are not dragging.
I thought that I would first ask as I have no idea what to expect from one of these!
Many thanks
Tony
New Zealand

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
 Hello Tony

The old electric carriages were built for smoothness rather than speed, so 18kmh (11mph ish) sounds about average speed to me. My old 1949 Argson only ever did about 12mph (20kmh) flat-out with a full 36 volts in play, and show it a slope of any kind and it would grumble & sulk like a bad-tempered puppy. 

I can't remember if yours is a 36-volt Harding or a 24-volt one, but if the latter, it will be that bit slower anyway. Still, the sedateness of an electric carriage gives you time to wave to the crowd...   ;D

Tony

• Just Starting
  • Collecting the history of mobility scooters in NZ
Stuart,
Thank you for your reply I appreciate your help.
As I really had no idea how they should go!
Yes this one is only 24volt.
It was good fun while driving on the flat but I certainly got worried when it came to driving up a slight gradient.
All the best
Tony