Author Topic: Query details on the Brütsch Mopetta  (Read 29643 times)

li.ob.86

• Occasional
    • Linus Öberg - Formbestämmare
Query details on the Brütsch Mopetta
« on: November 18, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I'm a new member on this page, my name is Linus and I'm from Gothenburg (Sweden). I am a man with a quite particular talent, I create what are known as class-A models (CAD-models of a very high quality). About a year ago I saw a picture of a Brütch Mopetta for the first time and I instantly fell in love. The result of my interests combined may not be hard to imagine. I started of with gathering all the information I could lay my hands on regarding the Mopetta, and about a month ago I started modelling the shell, an exquisitely slow and painstaking process. Since I'm doing this work as a spare time, personal project, I don't have a great deal of time to commit either, but slow progress is being made. Presently my goal is the production of two replicas, one for myself, and one more to sell, which could hopefully make the project brake even.

As you can imagine I don't have the luxury of a physical model for reference, but the internet you among others have provided me with loads of fantastic photos of the exterior.
Unfortunately, more specific details proved a lot harder to come by.
So here comes my request. I was hoping, and wishing, that you could help a poor rookie enthusiast out by sharing some grand sage knowledge. Something like a mystery serial number, a few leads or just some encouraging words. So far I think I've got a few things right, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

The motor is ILO piano V50 with 3 gears, the turn signals are Hella K13322 and the tail lights are Hella K2424. I'm guessing the headlight also is from Hella probably 6 inch, with an unknown chrome ring.
I have seen quite the variety of lenses for the headlight often looking like fog light lenses. The wheels seem to be assembled from modular parts, so chances are that they are a unique combination of (for me unknown) parts.
Lastly I'm starting to think the windshield was made exclusively for the Mopetta since I can't find it anywhere else.

If you feel like correcting any of my mistakes, filling in the blanks or know anything regarding the remaining details; Mirror, handles, gas cap, trim (stripe), knobs and buttons.
It would mean the world to me if you could help me out.

Sincerely Linus Öberg
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:38:31 AM by li.ob.86 »

li.ob.86

• Occasional
Re: Query details on the Brütch Mopetta
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:31 PM »
I realized you may want some additional input besides a serial number so here are some pictures for reference

The ILO Piano V50 (I think this one belings to "piatti")

The Hella K13322 turn indicator

The Hella K2424 Tail Light

Hella 6" foglights

I forgot to mention, I'm suspecting that the mirror is an Albert DBGM, but the (neck?) doesn't seem to match. On the old photos it seems to be quite straight with a squarish connection to the body of the car.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
Are you using Solidworks Linus?

Perhaps you need to get in touch with someone who owns a Mopetta. 
You need to see one in the flesh and measure it carefully.

Ideally you should borrow a real car for a while.  Without this you will never get it quite right.

li.ob.86

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:21:27 AM »
Hi Barry, thanks for your response.
The programs most commonly used for class-a modelling are Alias automotive and Icem surf or Rhino 3d if you are on a tight budget. For the bodywork I'm currently using alias but I'm considering using Catia GSD for the more mechanical / repetitive details.
I have been searching high and low for a Mopetta in Sweden, but there doesn't seem to be one around. Luckily, we are often faced with building from pictures or sketches, since it's the designers preferred medium, and work is going quite well. My main problem for the moment is the diameter of the Headlight since it's a precise measurement that is in close connection to the bodywork.
My main reason for building the details is purely visual, at present I have not considered production of any of them, even if it could be done. When I start piecing together the real model, hopefully in a year or so, I am assuming that I will have to make do with knockoffs and incorrect parts.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
My ramblings Linus:-

I wonder if the original designers of the Mopetta had the luxury of continually blending free-form shapes to achieve a perfect end result?
We (my company) are not at the high-end of CAD solid modelling and surface modelling hence Solidworks and Rhino are fine.  They can achieve 95% of what the high-end packages can do.  Good enough for our requirements.
I think the guys at Brutch probably drew the body shape in 2D on tracing paper with general dimensions, then the model maker or even the pattern maker had a good stab at representing it as a full size model.
I wonder if using the very latest high-end CAD is overkill to achieve what Brutch achieved with hand tools.  I bet Bob could make an exact copy with his flint scraper and bronze axe given time ;D
However, I can see the enjoyment and achievement in making an exact representation as a 3D solid model with perfect surfaces.
There are Mopetta shells around already that have been moulded from an original Mopetta body.  It should be possible to borrow one of these, get it to Sweden, and measure it thoroughly - verifying your CAD.
Have you considered a 3D laser scan of an existing body (original or copy).

You project is a great thing to be working on and I look forward to seeing the end result.

Barry

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
Hello! I cannot offer advice, but it is a great project, good luck!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
Oooooiii Barry I heard that, UG UG !!
Look, I've already made a start!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »

Obviously an early cartoon of you in action...................

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
Neanderthalean sprocket center after welding in lost metal.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
Sprocket center post a  Neanderthal's weekend with a couple of hand files.
How about that Bob?  You CroMagnon cheater that uses machines and electricity to do your dirty work.
If we want to really humble ourselves- try making an Achulean hand axe.
That will set our egos back a good quarter of a million years! :-\

li.ob.86

• Occasional
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
I think you are spot on Barry. In fact, chances are that Bob could reach a better result by hand than I will with CAD. The general shapes of cars in the 50's ere relatively organic, something that is difficult to replicate with the software we use today. (Thus the clearly defined separate surfaces seen on modern cars.) I still intend to go on with the project since I prefer CAD to "flint scrapers and bronze axes"   :D
In other news, the motor quest is looking surprisingly positive, it seems that the ILO motors were popular moped motors in Sweden, and the swedes are a nostalgic people, especially concerning mopeds and the like. I haven't found the right type yet, but loads of literature, online support and close "relatives"
Getting hold of a shell would be fantastic, but I got the feeling that it would be difficult. The only place I've found a shell  so far is at Andy's, and I'm guessing that someone who has a shell intends to use it, or is very protective of it. A laser scan/ point cloud/ mesh would also have been a dream come true, so if anyone has one that they are willing to share that would be awsome.
So far the Reference photo method is actually not working too bad, I have the basics of the shell and I'm currently working on the headlight mount. Considering the proportions I am starting to think that the headlight is more of a 5 inch, maybe even 4.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
As a matter of interest how many Carter replicas have actually seen final assembly and use ? It would be interesting to know . On the headlight I should know as I sold two last year , I would guess 100 mm German moped rather than larger but could not be certain now
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:34:48 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »

Getting hold of a shell would be fantastic, but I got the feeling that it would be difficult. The only place I've found a shell  so far is at Andy's, and I'm guessing that someone who has a shell intends to use it, or is very protective of it. A laser scan/ point cloud/ mesh would also have been a dream come true, so if anyone has one that they are willing to share that would be awsome.
[/quote]

Why not be practical about it?
Andy's quality of craftmanship is known to exceed that of the original manufacturers, and he would probably be happy to pop one out for you with a few month's notice.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »

More recent cartoon of Bob at work!

li.ob.86

• Occasional
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
It's not a bad idea Steven, but for me half of the fun is the making of the model, after all that's what I do ;) If someone Would be willing to lend me a shell, that would be great. But if I purchase a shell to use as reference, I see no purpose in making a model, and i really want to make a model.
Regarding Richards post, I'm unfamiliar with "Carter replicas" what are they?  ??? 100mm sounds about right do you have any idea what brand they were, I'm guessing Hella but confirmation is good.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:58:39 PM by li.ob.86 »