Author Topic: engine cuts out  (Read 4837 times)

tallos1956

• Just Starting
engine cuts out
« on: June 24, 2016, 11:35:30 AM »
Hi everybody
This is the first time on any forum and at the age of 60 is unusual I know
My problem is with my Microcar Virgo, it will start on the button first time but after 5 minutes cuts out and will not start until its cold again. The fuel filter is full and HT and LT are OK.
If anybody has any suggestions I would be most grateful.
Phil from Bristol

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: engine cuts out
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »
Not familiar with these cars. But

if the coil is going west, it will work when cold, then heat up till its getting to hot to touch. The is is caused by an internal resistance. The resistance grows greater as the heat rises. So if the coil gets hot in 5 minutes of the ignition being left on, suspect number one. Cannot fix this, a new coil.

Can be a capacitor, but that is a much more tricky thing to check. Only real give away is if you have points, they might be very pitted and burnt looking.

Fuel starvation. The after market filters can be the cause of this, especially on a gravity fed system. if fitted, they need to be away from sources of heat. If there is a pump, it maybe pumping ineffectively, and not able to keep up with demand. Might be some auto choke on the carb not turning off. If the filter is full, its unlikely, but the vent in the fuel tank or filler cap, is blocked.

These are general fault finding, and might not apply to your car as it might have contactless ignition etc etc. That is all mumbo jumbo to me.

Bristol is not far from the Bath Microcar Rally at Keynsham. Rugby Club in a few weekends time. Might be that someone there is knowledgeable on these cars.

Hope that might help.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

tallos1956

• Just Starting
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:27 PM »
Thanks Big Al
I will check your ideals if and when the rain ever stops

scorpius

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
As mentioned above it sounds like a coil , you should check it or test with a know good coil