Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379863 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?
« Reply #465 on: October 17, 2015, 07:45:40 AM »
Toughened glass screens will happily fall out of a car intact during an accident. My Schmitt one did about 10 feet with narry a mark. But of course that technology has been banned and modern screens are 'structural' (BX might be the first production car to exhibit this). So old way, fit screen in a rubber, later way, glue it in for life, a short one. At 25 years most laminated screens are starting to fail. Not all screens are suitable to be replaced by laminated screens. AS usual one fit codes of construction gdoes not fit all.
As far as I know plastic windscreens are not allowed. Plastic wind deflectors are.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #466 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
For msva there is no requirement for a screen so not part of the test (perspex then becomes acceptable) My Bamby P50 passed with perspex.
Bamby P50, Piaggio Ape 50

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #467 on: October 17, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
Why can I not have a Toughened glass screen, then? God help us if its not E marked. All sounds like a dog with the wrong tail on it. But what else would you expect from the idiots that run things? I am pleased for you, though, as it could have been a problem.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #468 on: October 17, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
For me it's a weight saving idea , I want glass but it might tip me over the edge for the test because I went over the top with all the steel and other bits , glass is cheap enough to get cut but that's not the point

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #469 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
I do not doubt Al's observation  that a toughened glass screen can survive an accidental popping out relatively unscathed.
However in the Clarkson video you can see the windshield vibrating excessively between roll overs- so I'm thinking that it must a be a plexi replacement that they Jerry rigged.
Still trying to find out if the Reliant windshield that they replaced with plexi had a 2 plane curvature to any appreciable degree, so I can know if I could get away with same in a 30 m.p.h. Citidine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:44:36 AM by steven mandell »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #470 on: October 17, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
 From 1973 to the end of production, all Reliant three-wheeler windscreens were flat. And yes, they were all glass. All the windows in the Top Gear skit were replaced with Perspex.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
I believe the first production car to have a windscreen bonded in was a Lotus. Colin Chapman realised that by bonding the windscreen in it added rigidity to the body, making the glass structural.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #472 on: October 17, 2015, 02:19:55 PM »
SDI Rover in 1976. TVR Tasmin.

But then again a quote of USA in 1963 on some local thingy. Others quote 1970 Toyota Crown, and USA market Eurocars. No mention of Lotus, but he would have been up with the game. So BX was the best car to have this technology I expect....?

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #473 on: October 17, 2015, 04:00:36 PM »
re - glass screen , would it be possible to get the local glazier to cut the glass to your pattern then get it treated like they do for glass doors ?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #474 on: October 17, 2015, 05:50:49 PM »
I believe that I have heard that experts can cut and drill hardened flat automotive glass.
But even the experts can not guarantee success on a per try basis.
So best to let them do the trying.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #475 on: October 17, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »
Yeh they can do what ever you want at a cost , after the test I will go for glass laminate there's a place in Stevenage that will cut it exactly to a template, the Perspex won't last long with the wiper motor I guess

AndyL

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #476 on: October 17, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
Should be able to have it cut by waterjet.

Not generally expensive.
1959 LHD 3-wheel Isetta.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2015, 03:15:07 PM »
From 1973 to the end of production, all Reliant three-wheeler windscreens were flat. ...
Happened to park next to a G-reg Rialto this morning, so took a look.  I think a horizontal line across the screen would be curved, but there was definitely a slight curve to a line up the centre.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #478 on: October 18, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »
So you are saying that you definitely observed a curve along its shorter axis (vertical as installed), and are suspicious , but not certain of an additional plane of curvature along an axis perpendicular to this.
Was the Reliant model that you observed the same as used in the Top Gear roll overs?

I am being extra cautious here as I don't recall ever noticing Stuart being wrong about anything previously.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #479 on: October 18, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
"So you are saying that you definitely observed a curve along its shorter axis (vertical as installed), and are suspicious , but not certain of an additional plane of curvature along an axis perpendicular to this."

Yes ( if I guess correctly what you mean by 'plane of curvature', which sounds mathematically impossible! :o )

"Was the Reliant model that you observed the same as used in the Top Gear roll overs?"

No. Top Gear used a Robin.  The screens look identical, to me, but they could well be different.

I am being extra cautious here as I don't recall ever noticing Stuart being wrong about anything previously.

Wow.