Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379948 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?
« Reply #480 on: October 18, 2015, 07:14:33 PM »
Dave,
Thanks for checking.
"plane of curvature"  refers to the plane along which a curvature can be plotted.
Anyone know if the Reliant and Robin used the same windshield?
Stuart rules, unless and until a justifiable fist pops out of his monitor.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #481 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »
 Well, I believe post-'73 Reliant screens to be flat anyway! I can't recall any curvature of note, but going back over the past few quotes has just made me realise how long it is since I properly studied a later Reliant at close quarters, despite us having owned several over the years. In fact I'm now wondering which cars I remember always used to be buzzing around town, are still around town....!

On the same subject, the basic mid-section body structure of all post '73 Reliant three-wheeler's are exactly the same, no matter which model or which year it is. The doors, windscreen, dash, chassis, and seats (to name but some major items) are all completely interchangeable between any 1973-81 Robin, 1981-93 Rialto and 1989-1999 Robin. Moving across to the four-wheelers, the 1975-83 Reliant Kitten windscreen and doors are again totally interchangeable between, Mk 1 & Mk 2 Robin, & Rialto three-wheelers, because again, its 99% the exact same mid-section of vehicle. After 1977, the top brass at Reliant were very blinkered towards any further major development of the three-wheeler, so the later years was really a story of tarting up what they already had as a design, rather than any complete departures like the Robin had been over the Regal in 1973.

I deliberately haven't included the 1999-2002 Mk 3 Robin in the above as apparently there were some surprising detail changes made when they produced that model, which others in the Reliant world are better qualified to spot than me. But I'm almost certain that aforementioned mid-section stayed the same here too....   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:55:08 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
(Mk 1/Mk 2 ?) I thought they was 750/850 Robin ,  Rialto  and Rialto 2 , there is no mention of marks in all/any of my sales broucure's ?
(all pre Haynes )

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #483 on: October 18, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
 Ah yes, a word of explanation on that might be needed; Basically its what the Reliant folk on their forums etc, started calling the different Robin's between themselves to work out which basic one they were on about, seeing as the factory never made the distinction.

As such they, regard all original 1973-81 Robin's to be "Mk 1" regardless of it being 750 or 850.

Then all Rialto's are just plain"Rialtos" as they all look basically the same regardless of which ones are red, yellow or black top engines.

The Robin came back in 1989 with its Ford Fiesta headlights & proper hatchback, so that is referred to as the "Mk 2" Robin.

Then in 1999 came another drastic restyle, which is referred to as the "Mk 3" Robin.

Basically, from outward appearance, there has been three distinct phases of the Robin, hence the terms Mk 1, Mk 2 & Mk 3 being used unofficially.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:27:51 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #484 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
Windscreen in

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #485 on: October 21, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Just nipping back to the subject of Reliant windscreens, we now have the answer from a proper expert on the matter...  ;

Hi Stuart,
Seen a few things on the rum forum (i cant login at the moment) and thought i would clarify that all Robin onwards screens are curved.
Only the Bug had a flat screen,and the Ant. All Robin Rialto Kitten screens have a curve,mainly across the screen around 3-4 inches below the roof.
There are also detail differences between Robin and Rialto chassis,but i cant be bothered to be soo pedantic.

all the best
Dan

So now we know.  8)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #486 on: October 21, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
Stuart , thanks for the simple explanation regarding the Reliant marks .

its nice to see the screen in - (anti scratch kit - T cut in the washer bottle !!! )

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #487 on: October 21, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
Yeh I scratched the paint already just wiping some dust away really annoying so I'm not touching the screen , made a vin plate up , put the washer jet in looks good but will end up being hassle for msva , needed a buddy to help finish off bleeding the brakes , wiper blade on

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #489 on: October 21, 2015, 07:05:37 PM »

Hi Stuart,
Seen a few things on the rum forum (i cant login at the moment) and thought i would clarify that all Robin onwards screens are curved.
Dan]

Dan,
Would that be a single plane curve, or a double plane curve?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #490 on: October 21, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »
Would that be a single plane curve, or a double plane curve?

This is 'urtin' my 'ead.

If you start with a curved line which stays within one plane, then it stays within one plane (by definition!) and can be said to be a plane curve.
Some curved lines (think of the figure-eight line round a tennis ball) don't. And therefore can't.

But we're not starting with lines, we're starting with windscreens - and they are surfaces.  If you intersect a curved surface (or windscreen) with an imaginary plane, then there will be a curved line where they intersect. An infinity of curved lines, in fact, formed from an infinity of possible planes.

But now step up to a windscreen with a double curve: there will be an infinity of intersecting planes for each of the curves.

The arctic (the Earth's surface above the latitude of the arctic circle) is a nice double curve - where do the two planes of its curvature lie?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #491 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:47 PM »
Would that be a single plane curve, or a double ("plane"= reason for Dave's headache) curve?

Sorry to be "urtin your ead", but I still want to know if the plexi Reliant front windscreen used in the Top Gear roll overs replaced a single or compound curved stock wind screen.
Thank you for your effort of explanation. I see your points (pun intended).
 If you are truly masochistic, you are welcome to read my comments (in CAPITALS) below.
Please do not make the mistake of interpreting the capital letters as yelling.  I am just trying to make it easier to separate out from your original commentary.

This is 'urtin' my 'ead.

If you start with a curved line which stays within one plane, then it stays within one plane (by definition!) and can be said to be a plane curve.
Some curved lines (think of the figure-eight line round a tennis ball) don't. And therefore can't.

But we're not starting with lines, we're starting with windscreens - and they are surfaces.  If you intersect a curved surface (or windscreen) with an imaginary plane, then there will be a curved line where they intersect. An infinity of curved lines, in fact, formed from an infinity of possible planes.- ONLY TRUE FOR A (windscreen) SURFACE REPRESENTED BY A LINE REPRESENTING A COMPOUND CURVE.  A SINGLE CURVED LINE WOULD HAVE TO BE INTERSECTED ALONG THE PLANE OF IT'S CURVE FOR THIS TO BE TRUE, AS OTHER ANGLES OF THE PLANES WOULD RESULT IN JUST 2 POINTS OF INTERSECTION.

But now step up to a windscreen with a double curve: there will be an infinity of intersecting planes for each of the curves.

The arctic (the Earth's surface above the latitude of the arctic circle) is a nice double curve - where do the two planes of its curvature lie?- WITHIN THE INFINITY OF INTERSECTING PLANES THAT YOU MENTION ABOVE.
BUT HOW COULD YOU KNOW THE 3 DIMENSIONAL SHAPE THAT NEEDS TO BE DESCRIBED WITHOUT SPECIFING 2 OF THEM?
WOULDN'T IT BE MOST EASILY DECIPERABLE TO PICK LONG WISE AND CROSSWISE AXIS FOR DESCRIBING THE SHAPE OF A WINDSHIELD?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:03:31 PM by steven mandell »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #492 on: October 22, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »
>> WOULDN'T IT BE MOST EASILY DECIPHERABLE TO PICK LONGWISE AND CROSSWISE AXIS FOR DESCRIBING THE SHAPE OF A WINDSHIELD? <<

You're assuming, then, that there's the same amount of curvature along the top, as along the bottom?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #493 on: October 22, 2015, 07:40:54 PM »
I know that we are risking being censored by the monitor by this time.
But no, I am not assuming this.
Please excuse my misspelling of  plural of "axis", I should have spelled it correctly as "axes".
Curiously, axes is the only word in English that can be the plural of three noun forms-ax, axe, and axis.
Perhaps I subconsciously didn't wish to appear to infer that I had any axes to grind. ;D

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #494 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
Imply?