Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379281 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 10:53:31 PM »
Haha that's my younger bro we call him the prince , I've got my own version of a 90s hair cut in the front left of the scooter car , but since then the family's hair has improved (slightly) because I'm actually a hairdresser

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Hello Steve, as soon as I saw your name I remembered that article, including using a kitchen bowl to get the right shape for the rear windows of the Raleigh trike van. Also I think someone fell on the roof of the Heinkel/Trojan.

There was another Raleigh van at Bromley Pageant of motoring this summer and I mentioned the article to the biker type who owns  and restored it.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
He's still  using that same kitchen bowl but its now for the haircuts  ;D - a variation on the pudding bowl
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:22:40 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Welcome from another Steve sorting Peel parts in their living spaces. :D
My Trident kit resides on its side in the living room, where I can gaze at its underside and ponder different suspension designs during commercials.
 I applaud your industriousness, you no doubt put the rest of us to shame by comparison.
Where did you get your body moulds?
I see that you, like many others, are utilizing a lot of steel under the monocoque. Andy Carter says that this is not necessary with his kits.
Is this truly a debatable point, do you consider it some how easier to fabricate,  or are you just looking for an excuse to lower your center of gravity?
How much wheel travel are you getting at the front end?
Do the wheels decamber noticably within this range?
Is the rear wheel a swing armless "hard tail"?
What size wheels are you using?
Is it possible for you to fit that disk brake anywhere?
Nice looking steering rack- what is it from?
I suspect a donor quad.  Tell us about your power train- does it come with a reverse gear?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:37:04 AM by steven mandell »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »
I remember my dad falling from the loft on to the heinkel and the family instantly went to see if the heinkel was ok Haha ! I bet my mums still got the kitchen bowl, hello Steve my mould was the light weight shell that was on eBay just under a year ago it came from Alan evens

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
Thank goodness for that wonderfully elastic Hienkel bonnet covering matetial.
Did he bounce very high?
I hope he didn't bend a bonnet stay. :Dg

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Dear Steve the younger,  Yes of course your replica Peel will be welcome on the Register we are not against replicas just worried that in years to come they will be passed off as originals by unscrupulous dealers for loads of money.  As I see it what better way to try to stop this is to have as many replicas identified as such on the Register.  You look to be doing a great job I am sure Chris will be looking to you for an article(s) on the build so watch out! Jean.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
Steven mandell ,,, so the basic idea came from Alan Evens who has built a road legal peel p50 and it went through the msva test after a lot of hard work, he's helped me loads with different ideas about this build , I've never been lucky enough to drive an original peel or a replica so a can't say which way is best , I loved the idea of keeping the chassis in two parts because u can't get anything more simple than a basic peel with the long wish bones couple of springs , small engine running the chain to a sprocket , axel with a couple of bearings driving a wheel ,the peel p50 or trident will easy be strong enough to carry that set up , but I dreamt  up an idea where the chassis was in one piece a little bit like the mini comtesse ( I'm after one of them if any one has 1 ) being in one piece the chassis holds the engine up so the body is easier to fit and everything is in one lump , as for the syspension set up i went for a set up so there was minimal movement with no shocks just land rover engine mounts this SHOULD make no bump steer but add a little bit of "give" in the wish bones , but how do I know because I've not driven one before , so the kind of idea is a 3 wheel go kart because go karts don't fall over haha , the steering rack came from America but I'm sure some one in England's selling them to now , the rear is a swing arm which also has a land rover engine mount as syspension but I think this will be a back breaker , the donor is a quad bike and has reverse gear , the front end I've built is exactly the same that will fit your trident but the rear set up that works on the back is completely different

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:49 PM »
Hello jean , thanks for you post , who's this Chris that could be interested in an article ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 08:15:30 PM »
Glad that the guru relocated it - great interest . Of course I should have said " Jim'll FISK it " ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.
So you traded off bump steer for more bump ;D. At least you should be less likely to roll it.
I'm in California, so knowing the source of the steering rack would be quite usefull.  May even become enabled to source them for Rumcar members on your side of the pond.
Just happened to be standing next to a Minicomtesse while reading your post- so I lifted its skirt to show the body on chassis view.
Speaking of rollovers, someone should get Big Al to post the utube videos shot in France of the 2 Minicimtesses with bigger rear mounted engines and EXTERNAL roll cages purposefully toppling themselves all over a field based race track.
It is absolutely hilarious, and tempts one to join in on the fun.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »
Surely that's what nick posted this week and we have been watching

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
the calipers fit the same as they would on a quad bike using the same disc , road legal tires rear swing arm idea my shell with the door hanging off ,still plenty of work to do to it

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »
and meet mason my son                     

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »
Great photo/ answers.
I see what you mean by a "light weight shell"
Thanks!