Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379248 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »
  .       Got the steering column cut and welded today , do you lot think it sits in the right place ?

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »
Also opinion please on where the bracket should go for the steering column underneath the dash to the mini bracket or where the ratchet straps are , like the original ?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:43 PM »
 I'd say stick with the original Peel-height mounting. If you mount to the low position under the dash, It's very likely you'd end up ripping the dash apart after about the fourth corner due to general leverage applied by your own hands during steering and too much column unsupported above that mounting position. Don't forget also you have to insert yourself round the column & wheel when getting in & out the car, and you nearly always have to grab the wheel to ease yourself round. Once again you'll end up pulling a low mount apart for the same reasons as above. Plus a low mount might well interfere with your feet space. 

On a tangent, I'm thinking of fitting 1960s disabled driver hand controls to mine so I don't have to twist my size 14s round the pedals...

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »
At the risk of sounding full of doom, is the steering column not a structural element of the bodyshell, like in a Schmitt. It is mounted rigid, able to rotate within a tube and base. A universal joint is not a rigid mounting, likewise if I am correct the longest distance between the two rigid points will be the strongest.
Sadly if its awkward to get in whilst having structural integrity, it probably means you need a larger car. You might laugh, but if one of these Squeels manages to disintegrate on the road, it will bring interest on the whole lot from 'those who must be obeyed', possibly effecting other class fakery too. I am not against these home concoctions, but look what happened to Tri Tech! It ended up badly. I would recommend you be sure what you are doing. There is a known design for this car that works, deviation from this invites problems, and negates a plea of innocence should the worst happen. An insurer can walk away if the car is not structurally sound, as you have a duty to tell them what they are insuring, and not the other way round  :'(. If its to go round the field, then we can all laugh if these hybrid Squeels far apart and bravo  ;D.

Can I just add I am annoyed your not making up a modified Meadows Family Three, to be called the Fisky  ;D!

Root, you do realize that a disabled modified Peel would count for free tax. MEV is still receiving a free tax disc a week or so before DVLA demand that I should get one with dour consequences. Strange people, or just idiots. Will a MK12 console fit in a Peel with a person? A square inside a square, I will not comment on the driver who will be assuming the Tupperware box shape of driving or have to ride sidesaddle! Square or squaw luvvy   :-*?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
Hi Stuart , the hand controls seem a pretty good idea , have you any pictures of your project so I can get some ideas ? Hello big Al, thanks for the comments , your right the universal joint is not a rigid mounting point and shouldn't be used as one , the base will have a bracket joining to the m10 bolts at the bottom of the column aswel as a bracket above so will be apart of the cars strength , the universal joint is not needed in the car but is needed for the msva test the car will go through , as for the "squeel" disintegrating on the road I'm more than confident in my metal fabrication and the strength of the chassis and running gear I've made , I've seen A couple of replica peels now and I've designed it to be stronger than any of them ( saying that,  the engine might be crap but that needs testing ), I'm wondering what the known design of the car that works is ?? As insurance is concerned I won't be taking any chances, it will be fully insured and pulled to bits by me and then by the msva man and if I or anyone else has any concerns with the  build quality or strength it will be addressed and sorted before it's driven any where

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:33 PM »
I would love to build a frisky but no chance of that , what happened to tri tech I can't find any info on it ?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
How about a nice foot operated parking brake?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2014, 09:28:05 AM »
I would love to build a frisky but no chance of that , what happened to tri tech I can't find any info on it ?

Without getting in too deep. There were several cars which rolled and there was some rumblings. Then a guy turned one over on a straight bit of the A30 or A303, I forget. The police confiscated the remains and there were serious noises about a case being made against the manufacturer. That is why you cannot find much reference to them on the Internet. This is all rather old history and I do not doubt that the facts vary from the bush network version. But what ever the reason Tri Tech ending and this incident were close together in time, so you can make your own mind up. Pity as the Schmitt was nearly very good. I have had little dealings with the Zetta, other than scrapping dead ones off the road. You cannot judge a kit car by that, though, as it is up to the builder to make a good job of it. I have been told they are a bit heavy due to the Bedford front suspension. Pass.

The known design would be the original one. Easier and cheaper then deviating and needing to go for an inspection, too my mind. We now have the Bamby Peel version, which I think is co opted by Peel Engineering, who do not seem to make their own cars. But I rather lost the thread on all this as Peels are popping up everywhere, allegedly. As a bit of fun the originals are great, but as a car its not really usable. I cannot understand the reason people feel the need to own one, and the lengths they will go to do so. What happens if someone productionises a smaller car? Does everyone rush off to own one of those, because? Its a bit like stamp collecting, printing up a deliberately rare cover.
Clearly the imitation market is with us and is in part fed by the demand for real ones. Fine, and as long as people enjoy what they are doing one cannot really grumble, as most of these are clearly not originals but someones vision of something beyond budget of ownership, or as a source of messing about in a shed. Never prevent shedding!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
the hand controls seem a pretty good idea , have you any pictures of your project so I can get some ideas ?

My set-up's completely standard apart from a two-inch longer steering column, the gap of which can be seen in the photo below. Originally a cock-up in the measuring department but since found to be so much better for getting one's knees under the wheel. I haven't got a set of hand controls yet, but the attached advert gives the general idea. They clamp on the column just below the steering wheel (ideal for my +two inches & stop sniggering at the back!) and depending what set can be found, can be set up to rotate with the wheel, or stay in a fixed position.   

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »
Are Feeny and Johnson still going then Stuart?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
Great idea Stuart- looks like a practical solution that will allow you greater enjoyment of your vehicle, by removing your imposing foot pedals.
But you do realize that if you perform such action, that you will never be able to post notice of so doing on this forum as you will have created an IC, which cannot be gone into here.  :-\
So before the proposed transmogrification occurs, a few quick questions: Would this action create the smallest fully enclosed IC?
What top speed would you pick for a P50 with stock suspension geometry, but better shocks and springs if you could choose the most you would feel comfortable with?  Any increase preferred if you fitted it with 6 inch wheels?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:29:09 PM by steven mandell »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »
Good effort Stuart looks really good , im trying hard not to grill you about the hard work you've done and the bits you've used because replicas can be a sore subject and I realise the forums actually for original cars but I'm really interested , good work ! Im going to try get mine in a few shows this year , nearest one to me is the Enfield show in May , if I'm aloud I would like to take it to a bubble car show if any ones in the know ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
Ah. That sort of a conversion. Now that would be interesting and probably an achievable and neat option.  Had visions of humongous square MK12 control panels and a girt handlebar. There is barely room for a handlebar mustache in P50!

We got a load of document cardboard boxes. There looks like more to come.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
replicas can be a sore subject and I realise the forums actually for original cars but I'm really interested , good work ! Im going to try get mine in a few shows this year , nearest one to me is the Enfield show in May , if I'm aloud I would like to take it to a bubble car show if any ones in the know ?
[/quote]
I believe to be in the know enough to know that your suspension would be considered "loud" enough to cause a stir of interest.  Whether that helps get you in or helps keep you out, would be an issue with your culture/ subculture that I would not dare to speculate on.  If you get a qualified answer to this, you will then know whether if is best to reveal or divert attention from your highly overbuilt underengineered suspension chicanery.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:35 PM »
I'm not really sure how to reply to that Steven or whether  Ive got the point wrong? Chicanery is abit of an odd word to use as I've been completely honest with every part of the build to see if I can make a little car as safe as possible , I enjoy micro cars and would just like to join a show with people who share the same interest , if my car is loved or hated that would be up to the individual I'm not easily offended , but basically I've bought a body shell and given it ago , succeed or fail I'm proud of my efforts so far .....