Author Topic: Hello every one ! Would my peel replica build be welcome on RUMcars ?  (Read 379215 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Congratulations and Happy Birthday!
Looks like the one in my living room.
Did you get the dome and metal kit also?
Andy did a good job making mine. 
Who else is making them?

My birthday is also coming up this week.
If nothing shows up in the next few days, I may not have usual new microcar as an antidote for post birthday blues.
Then again, last birthday I received enough microcars to get me through the next 6 years, so at least I'll never be bored , or likely to ever get caught up getting my cars to run well.
To wit, just rebuilt my new (used) tractor's carburetor and ignition switch, and made an extremely simplistic key for it.
Next, I'm pulling out the FF3's ignition switch, and will hopefully not fall off the steep learning curve that separates this push- pull and twist , forward and reverse rotation energizing switch.

I guess the 2000 Cadillac Seville I bought 2 days ago doesn't count even though it easily outweighs last year's 6 and a half micros.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Thanks Steven. It wasn't from Andy , it was from Alan Evans it's a full weight shell but modified to take a different chassis similar to what I built for the p50 up front but to use a 50cc moped engine and wheel at the back , no dome to it but the outer shell is an exact copy so the domes would fit but they are about 700 quid , sounds like your very busy !

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Had a really good day at the Enfield show brought plenty of bits for the project , met one of the forum buddies but I'm so rude and forgot his name sooo say hello again please , had loads of comments on the peel completly mixed , best one was " whys that red bit of plastic getting loads of Attension " haha

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Can someone help me , this thread on the swing arm bolt is weird and I cant find a nut to fit it , how do I find out what size and thread a nut and bolt are ? Is there a magic tool I can buy ?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
You can buy thread gauges, they are like a little pen knife with multiple blades that have all the thread profiles cut in them so you can hold then against a bolt or nut and match up the thread. Don't you have any taps though? Its just as easy to match the thread by holding taps up to them. If you are using Modern stuff which I guess you are if its mainly recycled Chinese quad parts it will be metric. You will learn that for each metric bolt there will be three or more thread pitches, say for example M10 will have a standard pitch of 1.5mm but you can have fine which is 1.25 and even 1mm. So a bolt may measure 10mm diameter but a 10mm nut will not fit unless you have the correct pitch thread.  Hope this helps.

ps. I think it was Mike Shepherd that you met on Sunday.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Thanks bob , I've ordered a thread gauge , I don't have any taps , you didn't go to Enfield then ?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Yes, I did but on Saturday. Sorry to have missed you.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Bob it worked and I got the bits I needed cheers

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
But more advise needed for brake pipes , I don't want to run big pipes that came with the quad bike and actually kind of scale down the set up a normal car , flexy pipe from calliper then connect to a copper pipe which is mounted to the chassis , any ideas ?

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Updates

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Finished the engine mounts , mocked up 2 old chains I had , seems to run pretty straight , feels like it takes 10 hours of thinking and just 30mins  of cutting and welding to actually make a part that works , frustrating !!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Keep it up though, we're really enjoying reading about it!  :)
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Thanks Malcolm , I've been building a peel factory !

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Impressive new factory premises. Top tip from a 1950s motorcycle mag I was reading the other day is to line the walls of a metal shed with cork or sawdust to reduce condensation.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Cool tip , I'm just going to put a heater in it , because of the amount of welding I do I don't want to catch fire