Author Topic: RCN 119  (Read 10768 times)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
RCN 119
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
Hello everybody RUMCAR NEWS 119 is in the post, the usual jammed packed edition that we have come to expect from Chris.  Your subscription renewal form is enclosed with it,  so why don't you fill it in and return it to me before it gets lost in the Christmas wrapping paper frenzy.  

We are continually seeking new readers so there is still time to give a friend a subscription as a Christmas gift and if you are quick enough we can send them a sample back copy as a taster to read during the holiday in advance of the first edition which should be out early in March.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a really happy Christmas and a successful New Year  on behalf of all the Hammond family. We look forward to seeing some of you on our Open Day in July if not before.    Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: RCN 119
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
looking forward to it . may i also wish you jean and all your family a very happy christmas and a prosperous new year

still awaited
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 08:34:42 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
Dear Rumcar News Readers

I have just received my copy of issue 119 through the post, and the first thing that hit me was on page 29 the image at the top of the page is missing. A big Sorry from me.

We were having problems with the printing of this edition due to the centre page spread, and between the proofing and printing stages the gremlins crept in.

You can see that the image should have been the banner heading for the Liverpool Echo, the newspaper in which the article was first published on 28 June 1988.

A second error I have spotted is the word "behind". Have you spotted it yet?

Happy reading

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
still haven't got mine i hate waiting  :( shame it's my page too !  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
I got mine on Saturday, hooray. I have had a brief browse through it but no time yet to read anything, looking forward to it! The Mystery Car...what a monstrosity, but quite funny!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
I found the article on split single two strokes interesting,  the history is good but after reading it I'm still not sure as to exactly how it works or what the advantages were if any. I was also surprised as to how many companies made one, I always just associated them with Puch and ISO.  Thanks Chris. A good un.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 05:34:50 PM »
Hi Bob

I haven't seen the article yet, but there was a feature recently in Practical Classics with a dismantled engine from a Trojan tourer that i thought at least partially explained it. Because the inlet and exhaust ports usually share the same cylinder on a two-stroke, some fuel passes straight from the inlet and out through exhaust without being used, so giving poor fuel consumption. On the Trojan, you have two separate cylinders joined only at the top, with inlet one side and exhaust on the other. You also have one piston moving slightly ahead of the other (on a shared, slightly flexible con-rod). This allows the exhaust port to be covered for longer during induction.  I'm guessing it's advantages were maximised on such a simple low revving and fairly crude (cheap) engine where the number of components would be far less than an equivalent four stroke.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
Thanks Malcolm, you have explained it brilliantly in very few words. Now I understand. I couldnt even gather that from the diagrams in the article! Top marks for the history side though!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
I found this diagram useful.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »
Well thats the one in the article. I couldnt make head or tale of it!  Maybe I need stronger glasses!  :D

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 06:56:03 AM »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
Thanks Barry. The Garelli diagram in the google search was easier to understand as it shows the transfer porting. Amazing that someone bothered with mechanical valves, it would have been more cost effective to build a four stroke.

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »
Still not received my copy yet in the sunny Midlands.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
But I am just opening mine in the dark dark north  ;)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 05:39:49 PM »
Dear Richard

It is easier if your switch the light on.

Chris Thomas