Author Topic: Lambretta willam / Lawil  (Read 24034 times)

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: Lambretta willam / Lawil
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »
Hi Barry
           The smaller engine cars were Lamberatta - I have had two of them  - the larger engine was a twin cylinder as you described.
                                                                                                                                                             Mike

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 07:58:40 PM »
Just translated this from wiki.....................

"The first model, designed by the Italian coachbuilder Scattolini and equipped with the same engine 125 cm3 Innocenti Lambretta , was born on the initiative of the Italian entrepreneur Carlo Lavezzari and was presented as a prototype at the Paris Motor Show 1966 which aroused the interest French entrepreneur Henri Willame , Director of Lambretta France who commissioned the production constituting Lavezzari now Lawil , an acronym of the names of the two partners of the firm.

The small car began to be marketed in Italy since 1971 under the name of Lawil Varzina (named after the town of Varzi ) undergoing profound changes to the mechanics , motor, originally Lambretta 125cc was replaced by a BCB 250 cc , also the wheels replaced the previous 10-inch by 8 .

At the time, according to Italian law the so-called microcars could not own more than three wheels so the Varzina , with four wheels , was the smallest car for sale in Italy [1] .

The same car was marketed in France, where he was considered rather a quadricycle , as Willam Farmer and imported the following year (1972) in England by the coachbuilder Crayford .

The sizes were very small : the length of the prototype did not exceed 1.78 m . with room for two passengers and with the mechanics of Lambretta engines and two-stroke single-cylinder 125 cc and 175 cc , then the car was lengthened by 27 cm in 1969 and in 1980 , shortly before the cessation of production of an additional 20 cm ."

I can only conclude that they also used a 125 BCB as well or that my car had a 250 single BCB  because it was definitely marked BCB and definitely a single cylinder.  Strange!

Also interesting that they changed the wheels at some time but I didn't really understand that bit.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:08:16 PM by Bob Purton »

just willam

• Occasional
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
Hello
Nothing has seized to cause the damage it could it of been caused by a previous owner thrashing the engine and dropping the clutch to try and do wheelies ? or its a faulty part that has not been hardened (in which case I will have to check postman pat (the van) out) and Steve would be on the right track
I will check what make the engine it is tomorrow but i seem to remember being told postman pats engine was a BCB and postman pats wife has the same engine and the spare engine i have is also the same all the engine electrics are Ducati

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:36 PM »
Much more detail from Denis

http://www.microcarfan.com/index.php/marques/74-willam

My browser translates this automatically.

8" wheels on early cars.

My 250cc twin engine is almost identical to the 125cc single but just has an extra cylinder on the front. (simplified ;D)

Chassis photo is from a 125cc (Courtesy Martin Kubele)- earlier than my Lawil 1979 ish

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 09:52:50 AM »
Ahh, that sheds some light on the engine that was fitted in my old car.  From 1971 a BCB 125 plus a BCB 250. I'm glad I'm not going mad! 

"From 1971, the City is sold in Italy , on the occasion of profound changes occur :
The frame , in so far tube of circular section, is now rectangualire section .
The front comes from the FIAT 500.
The engine is now a BCB vertical cylinder ( the above was horizontal) . Proposed 125cm3 for France , the Italian version will be entitled to a 250cm3 . These are actually two 125 engines , which provide interesting performance coupled with a pretty phenomenal but consumption!
The gearbox is also amended and adopted the European grid , so that the original thanks to an inverter that the reverse was possible. Has anyone ever tried to run fourth in reverse with City? Tip: abstain .
8 inch wheels are replaced by 10 inches. As you can see the change is radical yet practically imperceptible because the body has not been lifted : left photo .
The most visible change will take place in 1980, pictured right .
The City grows to twenty centimeters in order to have a real trunk . She finds this occasion the quarter windows of its beginnings and cutting wheel arches front wings is changed (not the back !) : O (
The BCB 125cm3 engine is replaced by a Lawil of the same capacity"

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:20 AM »
If the early cars from before 1970 (ish) had Lambretta engines, does anyone have a photo of the set-up?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
If the cause of failure turns out to be the axles themselves,  I would bring their replacements to a good metal treating shop for analysis and heat treating as well as anealing to the most ideal specs.

Seconded. It looks to me like either exceptional abuse, or most likely metal not sufficiently hardened/stress relieved.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

just willam

• Occasional
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
Hello
Heres some pictures of the cars engine and gearbox yes it has a delorto carb
Is the rear axel the same as on the Lambro?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:26:03 PM by Barry »

just willam

• Occasional
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
Looks like the axel is not the same as on the Lawil the diff is in the center making both half shafts the same length it looks offset on the lambro in your pic
It was Skootashaun I brough the Lawil van off last year

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
Hi,
You shouldn't have mentioned me.
That was a thread killer  :-\

Engine and axle in the later ones were not Lambro.
I know the earlier engines were Lambro, as thats what I was hoping when I bought Pat.
I had the idea of a Mugello transplant as my preferred choice.

Slightly off subject and for Barry:

I helped do a conservative resto on this a few years ago, and it lived in my local Lambretta museum,

And for you as a memory blast:

I am led to believe this is Jo in her earlier advertising days for her dad Mike.

Stunning  8)

As for the Willam, there is a French site 'Lebencoin' or something like that that does throw up spare cars etc quite cheap.

Shaun.

yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 11:55:35 PM »
When I was 17 / 18 I did some building work for Mike (Howard) Karslake at his house in Benfleet with my Bricky friend, Tony.
I was already involved with Lambrettas (Li150 Series III) and Mike was running the Lambretta Preservation Society so we got taliking and one thing led to another and some building work.  I kept in touch with Mike and his son Paul for a few years.  At the house Jo (Howard) must have spilit up with her boyfriend in 1976 (too early for Ronnie Wood ? but it was said at that time that she was seeing one of the Stones) and was staying with her Dad.  Stunning is dead right - very nice getting a cup of tea from Jo when we were 18.  I remember some big rows in the house when the boyfriend came round but we never saw him - Ronnie???

Jo did other Publicity shots for Lambretta but I haven't seen any for a long time.

Off topic:-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2283333/How-Ronnie-destroyed-marriage-After-35-years-Jo-Wood-tells-definitive--explosive--story.html

That's not Jo Howard on the back of my scooter, it's my Mum!

just willam

• Occasional
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 07:45:15 PM »
Hello
Here's a picture of the damaged teeth on the pinion
There is a spares van leboncoin but it comes with another van so two
1200 euros do I need two more?  ::)