Author Topic: Change names of member groups?  (Read 7679 times)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Change names of member groups?
« on: January 09, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Over the years you have probably noticed that as you post, your "member status" changes from NEWBIE to HERO member.
I don't think these reflect the group well and am open to changing them from their defaults to something else.
If anyone has any suggestions please post them below.
Here is a list of what the default titles currently are for reference, ranking from lowest number of posts to highest:

NEWBIE MEMBER

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Change names of member groups?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
Dear Jim

My suggestion would be to rename "Hero" as "Prolific". reflecting the number of occasions they have blogged, or what ever that is called.

Chris Thomas

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
….reflecting the number of occasions they have blogged, or what ever that is called.

they are called "posts"
look under your banana

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
Hi Jim

First of all thank you very much for the splendid update. I agree the "member status" doesn't reflect much at all in the context of this forum other than perhaps a predilection for garrulity. I can't really think of a suitable alternative other than removing it altogether.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »
i too have never liked the term hero in particular . why not something simple- newbie, 10, 50,200 etc for example ? just read malcolms post , as he says why do we need it at all ? if anyone is interested all these stats are there for us to read on anyones profile
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:49 PM »
Dear Jim

Yes of course they are called posts!!! I will not take a Fence (post).

Thanks again for the update that looks so much better and has a few new features.

Chris Thomas

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
I personally liked seeing posts by Big Al or Stuart accompanied by the moniker Hero, as I always found their posts to be of higher quality than most others in that they were usually more technically revealing / complex, or as was often the case with Al's rants, properly interpretable at so many different levels as it could make your head spin.
But I agree with Richard that in many other cases where the member may have posted perhaps even thousands of times, the posts could largely be of a more trivial nature, and sometimes even less than clean spirited- so the moniker of Hero would seem less deserved.
However I also realize that there would likely be no practical way to delineate the higher quality posters without creating a sea of storms, and likely a bigger unresolved issue than the original problem being addressed.

I actually consider the first four categories to be well monikered.   So why not approach the impractical to resolve question as to who should be considered a Hero with a bit of levity, by just labeling anyone with more than a thousand posts as "Really Blabby"?

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
How about keeping it as simple as possible:
NEWBIE MEMBER
FULL MEMBER (busy member)

Although i do like Steves suggestion of 1000 posts, as 'really Blabby'  ;D
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
Old Fart springs to mind, but RUM bats above such things, I suspect.

Bronze, Silver, Gold? Most of these system suggest the content of the more prolific to be of more import, or weight, than of the lesser. In fact some contributors have a narrower band of interest but are very well versed on their favoured areas of activity. So that is misleading. Prolific is quite good as it does not attempt to estimate quality.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »
SHORT TROUSERS
LONG TROUSERS
LONG BEARD
A bit sexist, I suppose...

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
I'm not a regular contributer to the Forum, largely because I seem to have the ability to cause someone offence each time I post a comment. However for what it's worth and at the risk of causing offence to some "heroes", I'd suggest ratings such as Occasional, Regular & Prolific Contributer.
I think the word hero is greatly over used these days and generally completely out of context.
In the real world I wouldn't regard someone who talks a lot or constantly airs his views to anyone that'll listen as a hero.

Alastair Lauchland

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
 One who spouts a lot is not a hero. Just a bore.  :-X
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:19:23 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 05:57:12 PM »
I'm not a regular contributor to the Forum, largely because I seem to have the ability to cause someone offence each time I post a comment. However for what it's worth and at the risk of causing offence to some "heroes", I'd suggest ratings such as Occasional, Regular & Prolific Contributor.
I think the word hero is greatly over used these days and generally completely out of context.
In the real world I wouldn't regard someone who talks a lot or constantly airs his views to anyone that'll listen as a hero.

Alastair Lauchland

No worries, the offence was near microscopic, and the effect was to cajole a possibly even better suggestion for the upper sub prolific class.
I actually agree with the probably unintended heroic ring to the title "Prolific" Poster.  These posters deserve this subliminal implication, but surely do not need to be encouraged to post more often- so the moniker is functionally effective from both angles.

However, when I saw my self labeled as "Quite Chatty", I felt a bit of a slight, as the other categories are not being humorized, and despite what others may feel, I do not believe myself to be an overly chatty person, as I do my best to contribute on a substantive basis.  The moniker "Substantial Contributor", similarly carries with it this unintended ring of substantive content, whilst not actually stating such, thereby giving a bit of encouragement to posters that have not yet risen to the Prolific Poster class.

"Regular Member" seems to be just right for the intermediates.
But I think "Neophyte Poster" is a more accurate moniker than the previous "Newbie", as it does not inaccurately imply that the poster is always a new subscriber, whilst still evoking a subliminal tone of encouragement to post more often. ;)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
 And there was me thinking a poster was something graphic hanging on a wall.  ???
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 01:05:43 AM »
I'm not a regular contributer to the Forum, largely because I seem to have the ability to cause someone offence each time I post a comment.

Alastair Lauchland

I worry about that. Then ignore it and just put both feet in.

Secret is if proved wrong by superior facts/reasoning, to admit it. Even if I disagree, I always evaluate an alternative view point, as at times it becomes clear there is a a situation where the view is valid. So do not be put off on my account. I make enough statements to be wrong reasonably often.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs