Author Topic: microcar trailer  (Read 2761 times)

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
microcar trailer
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
Unbelievably, I have only just bought a trailer for a 3-wheeler. It has three perfectly usable ramps but no winch. If the microcar doesn't operate under its own steam, how easy or difficult is it to place it on the trailer? Are there any tricks to share how to load the little treasures? Excuse my ignorance! I used to drive to meetings myself, but am getting too old now to take too many risks.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: microcar trailer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
There is an element of mass and energy over gravity and dead weight. So I can push a Schmitt into a rear wheel drive van on my own. My normal sized budds tend to find that difficult. If the trailer is low and the front wheels go on the trailer before the rear, then it is manageable. All wheels together turns into a dead lift requiring a lot more oomph. Also not good for those who might have iffy backs.

A winch with a polyester belt should only cost about £25 from Machinemart/Screwfit. The belt is better than cable as it is softer and more pliable. Also the winch is one less strap, to attach the car to the trailer, to buy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:52:31 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »
So you are saying that the extra oomph needed to push the central rear wheel up the increased slope of  a shorter ramp for the central rear wheel of the mid/ rear engined microcar is less than the effort needed to get all 3 wheels going up a less angled slope at the same time?
Sounds great, if I understand you correctly.
Approximately how high off the tarmac was your trailer, and how long the front 2 and single rear ramp that you used/ would recommend?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
Its about angles. Two wheels going up at, say 25 degrees and the other flat is not pushing the car up 25 degrees. I will not bother to do Pythagoras but its less, so easier. Likewise once the front wheels hit the flat and the rear wheel hits the 25 degrees then it is, likewise, less effort. The push is of longer length, of course. The work done to raise the car is the same if all other factors are equal. No different to altering the gearing on a winch so its a comfortable pull for the operators strength. I am heavy and pretty strong so I can push harder than most people. So what works for me is not always going to work for them. However the above is the way to make loading a car easy and it depends on the wheelbases of the cars to load and the height of the trailer. Tricky as we are talking of Nobel and Isetta here, I think. Isetta are short and heavy so are always a problem. Add their unbalanced steering action and I used to hate the swine for loading in the van, as it was one of few cars I could not do on my own. Though I have had too on occasions. Nobs are long and generally well behaved, though they are a tubby little number unsuited to panel vans.

Trailers, for me the lower the better. Wheel diameter at least 10 inch, but as I choose not to speed with a trailer on, I do not need a huge wheel diameter to prevent failures, weaving or suspension issues. I now use a twin axle light weight racing car trailer, as I can sustain a blow out without endangering £50,000 worth of Microcar, Unlike a bad remould on a poorly welded caravan chassis - you've got to laugh at some of the £50 contraptions you see behind and carrying £100k of vehicle at events.
Ramps equal length so they are interchangeable or double up for awkwards like 4 wheel Isettas. Angle as least as possible for ease of mounting.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »
So if the ramp length is less than or equal to the wheelbase of your micro, you will only need two ramps for either a 3 or 4  wheeled microcar, as you can simply reposition one or both of the ramps after the front wheels have loaded on to the trailer to center on the intended path of the micro's rear wheel (s)?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »
In theory yes. Its a bit of a fag so I go for three and move one for the oddball arrangements. The current trailer is still on its flip up ramps so not ideal for Microcars, as is. It will be adjusted, but with less microcars, and more smaller and eventing cars, it will do nicely. A lot cheaper than the asking price of a good galvanized equivalent BJ, IW or other manufacturer. Though I do like the rampless hydraulic designs.

limo123

• Just Starting
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »
I am thinking of buying a very small car and would need to fit a towbracket to my Tracker, but I know that our available Payload is a bit limited.
I like traveling