Author Topic: Scootacar Mk1 - not idling  (Read 10521 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Scootacar Mk1 - not idling
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 12:05:31 PM »
Yes, Steve, well and truly certified!

Al will probably disagree with me here but I think the Villiers S25 carb is a real gem. Its maintainence free when kept in use. No choke plunger tips to get dissolved or stuck. no choke chamber thread to strip of flare out like a blunderbuss. I would choose one over a Bing or delorto  any day.

I really would not know. For all the build up I am in no way an expert on Villiers. I will defer to anyone who has driven miles using one straight away. I think I total about 2,500 miles of Villiers usage. Pathetic to a Bonder etc. So a Villiers is a little like a simplified none dashpot SU? SU happen to be a favorite of mine. I moded several for tunned cars and you can get them to breath as well as a Webber with attention to detail.

I hold a pet theory that British Carbs are a lot better than German ones. I am certain that is why the Germans productionised fuel injection early. The Bing is nasty and its only the wasted oil in a two stroke getting out that allows it to work and not wear out. Look at a 20k mile Heinkel Bing on four stroke, so no oil. Normally naffed. The NSU TT I had only worked with a binned carb replaced by twin Webbers on a four branch manifold. Goggo 400, nah, its not clever is it? Tiger uses the same the other way up as in early Prinz and experiments show..... Deek needed a Deekongestant and the Borg asks for more subtle delivery.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Scootacar Mk1 - not idling
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:18:01 PM »
Hi All,

I subscribed to the last batch of RUMcar news but need to subscribe to this years. I am new to Villiers carbs and must say they seems lot simpler than some of the other models. For instance the Bing on my Heinkel A2 with the temperamental "fuel pump".
I have a DKR Dove scooter with the 31C Villiers engine and the Villiers S19 carb, hopefully this little engine/carb combination will be as sweet as the 9E/S25 set-up
Big Al knows his stuff well and respect his vast knowledge on all things micro car.I have known Alan a long time.

Cheers

Simon (for Big Al - The Barking Pumpkin)

See above, but thanks for the comment. So you got hold of a snotty speedster, complete with flick power overtaking. All it will need is a regular good blow out. Its the stuff of Wacky Races.

Hmm! Heinkel A2, my favorite Scooter I think. So none PC in scooter circles. Its big, its ugly, its square where it should be round, its a four stroke, but it will still pee off most of the competition on a run without lots of noise and expense. Its a bit like me really, square arsed and awkward to get on its stand after a few.

Well done the
Sparking Dumpkin
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs