Author Topic: Triggers broom  (Read 4696 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Triggers broom
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »
definitely very much on topic -
The tricky paradox asks whether an object that has had all of its components replaced, remains fundamentally the same object? RUM discuss

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/roger-lloyd-pack--how-%E2%80%98trigger%E2%80%99s-broom%E2%80%99-changed-philosophy-120359341.html
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:23:04 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Triggers broom
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
I remember my grandad telling me a similar tale when we went to see King Arthurs table in Winchester. Apparently it's been around since the greeks and is called Theseus's paradox. There was a famous case involving a very historic Bentley that raised many issues about originality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

http://www.gomog.com/articles/no1judgement.html
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
I know some women that have had most of their components replaced.  :-X
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »
It is more than likely all your chemical constituents that make you when born, will have been changed for other atoms by the time you die. But you remain the person you were when you were born. You are the product of what life you led, what got lost, what got found and modifications. Any copy remains that, a copy. The closest is a clone, but has an independent existence, and still is not you even though you can interchange parts. Why would it be any different for a car?

If the lawyers find different then Rolf Harris is not guilty as someone else that was him did it and not the current Rolf Harris! For DLT it will only be a proportion of him so his willy might have to go to jail for a bit while the rest of him can remain at liberty.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:19:11 PM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:16:29 PM »
You are allowed to disagree. Its a discussion.......
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
A moot point with many classic cars...how many original bits do you "need" for it to be the same car? My Trojan is perhaps only 50% original

I saw a TV programme about Arthur's Table and I think it is now accepted that it is not, much newer.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
A very old paradox under a new name. It used to be grandfathers axe and goes back to the 1st century and Theseus Paradox which focuses on ships after every plank and beam has been replaced, now we apply it to vintage cars.
Nothing is new under the sun!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »
Is the broom Trigger's, as sadly he died last week. Always enjoyed Lloyd Pack, and as all good stooges, it is his perfect reaction to Dell Boy falling through the bar, vanishing, that is the really funny bit of a classic scene. He is one of few who might have carried an accurate portrayal of Stan Laurel off. Hey ho.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »
Click on the original link at the top al - this was posted on the day he died
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:26 AM »
Do not have a TV anymore, so it sometimes takes me a while to catch up with celeb news, most of which is about people I have never heard of. I can recommend no TV as you get a load more done, save money to put to full Internet integration, and are not programed with propaganda unless you want to be.