Author Topic: Inter scooter 175a narrowing front beam pictures ?  (Read 7829 times)

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Inter scooter 175a narrowing front beam pictures ?
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:25:08 PM »
I'm really interested in how the front beam narrowed to fit don't small alleys , do any pictures exist better than this one ?

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
Re: Inter scooter 175a narrowing front beam pictures ?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:01:55 PM »
Down not don't , stupid iPad

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:54 PM »
I have lot of photos Steve which I have yet to scan onto the computer. I will send you them when I get some time. basically the two half axles pivot from the centre. They could be released from inside the car by pulling two pins, pins that fixed the axles back into to driving position. Once released the axles could be pulled forward. The Axles and track rods form a parallelogram allowing the wheels to still face forwards. Does that make any sense?

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:26:12 AM »
If I read you correctly, the longer legs of the parallelogram formed by the axles and track rods, slide past eachother, narrowing the space between them as the wheels are pulled forward.  Much  the same way that a cardboard box will deform if you lean on it whilst two opposite ends remain open.  A process called lozenging.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35:28 AM »
Yes, you've got it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 08:43:03 AM »
I thought not all Inters ended up being able to do this trick to chase Larmar getaway cars. There was a simplification for economy. Its a great showpiece though. To which the Larmar can only respond with Carlos Fandango wide wheels and bodykit.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »
To chase a Larmar get away car, wouldn't it be more expeditious to simply get  out of your Inter, and run it down on foot?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
A car that can be burned off by Usane Bolt, now that is a Microcar. And he has more style!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »
The folding Inter thing disappeared almost as soon as it began. The very first batch had the locking pins on the inside of the front bulkhead , they disengaged by means of a central lever with connecting rods. I think one of the problems was the little sheet metal axle covers which had to swivel with the axles as they folded, not an ideal system.  The next batch was like your old car Al. It had the ability to fold if you undone the two nuts where the pins were on the earlier cars. Next the late cars that just had one square box section axle. These were all hydraulic brake cars. So, in a sense the folding Inter is almost mythical. My green car is chassis number  15 and I'm not sure if that means the fifteenth car or the fifth with a one in front, was originally a folder, the stud that the disengage lever was attached to is still there. I ended up rebuilding the car as a non folder because I wanted the hydraulic brakes on this one. basically the car was a pile of spare parts thrown into a body shell and the pedal box that came with it was the later type with a master cylinder attached so I went with that as I didn't much like the cable brakes on my previous car
There you have it a potted history of folding/nonfolding Inters!.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:04:35 PM by Bob Purton »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
Interesting  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »
So beating the Schmitt in the brake department, instead of nipping round the back department. I liked the idea of folding the wheels in transit, though the steering would be straight ahead. Great for road runs with scooters. Bollards, what bollards? Its a shame not more sold/survived as it is a design that works pretty well, unlike many.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 07:06:04 PM »
It is a shame Al. I remember when I was restoring your old one I was thinking this is going to be horrendous to drive and then to my surprise it was quite nice in fact! I especially liked the rubber band suspension, very supple without being wallowy.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks Bob that would be great , fascinating design , genius

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
So was the BW auctioneer's public description of your car as a folding front wheel vehicle more correct, or incorrect? ::)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
I didn't read the description Steve , I was to busy spitting venom about Bruce promising me he would not and could not ever sell the car because of the trust they were all in.