Author Topic: RM Auctions Limo  (Read 3646 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: RM Auctions Limo
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 06:31:38 PM »
I was more interested in the Reliant Robin Fire Engine article further down the page!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 07:33:51 PM »
oh jean that was truly AWFUL !! that sad man  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:47 PM »
I thought Fire Engines were to put fires out not join in the conflagration. Reliant near a house fire, not a good plan. Mind you the Reliant Gubbins a rare machine and possibly more useful than the Lambretta Fire Engine
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
Was it a particular model or year that used to catch fire? I keep hearing the stories but as my dad owned Reliants continually from  1964  to 1994 and none of them ever burst into flames I'm wondering what the cause was?

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
Was it a particular model or year that used to catch fire?

I suspect the fame relies not so much on the Reliant having a tendency to catch fire, as to obliterate itself if it did.

I recall coming across the remains of one, in position as if still waiting for the lights to change - except that the car now consisted of a bucketful of ashes, among which could be seen three wheel centres, engine block and transmission ... and very, very little else!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »
 Not all bad then  JOKING  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
Several Roly experiences.

One rolled in front of me after having to avoid a twit who dived out of a turning in front of it. I think it clipped the curb. Anyway it proceeded to shoot across the road rolling and distributing its panels and bits all over the road as the guy who caused the accident sped off, as they do. We all pulled up expecting the driver and passenger to be near death at least. They both unbelted themselves and short of some very minor cuts were totally fine.
Proof one. A Roly is not much different to modern cars with crumple zones. It is designed to die so you live another day. The problem is if the car is hit, or hits, anything solid as it is doing this as there is only so much protection which is absorbing energy by failing and being flung off. I suspect most Roly deaths involve it being involved with something else. So while crash resilience for survival has improved beyond the Roly they are not inherently a dangers car in terms of structure.
One of the front spectators got the car number and I believe a case of dangerous driving was made.

Another incident was arriving post incident where a guy had glanced off several cars parked in a row. Drunk, who knows? Anyway the impact was such a fire was created with car two, this spread to car three, the Roly, not actually hit, though car four and five were by the spinning car. Sadly the only car destroyed in the vrow was car three, the Roly, not hit. It was set alight by the fire in car two. It having passed on its burning bits to the Roly, it went out! The impact car was burned out but totaled anyway.
When I arrived the Roly owner was in tears, as his undamaged car burned out. The others moved their cars away as best they could, Police arrived and the arse the caused the mess was grabbed by a couple of hoodies. What a bastard, but it seems up until the Rialto the GRP had little defense against fire. Certainly in Bristol in the late '70s it was not unusual to see Rolys, Bugs or Bond 875 burning or burned out from Saturday night vandalism. I even recall an Isetta getting wrecked on the Eastville roundabout. Its chassis was there for years, till the redeveloped the Eastville stadium probably.

So Rolys are burners but structurally if allowed do there job it would seem.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:57:06 AM »
For all your comments about Mr.Ward's Reliant Fire Engine, he is to be congratulated on raising funds for the Fireman's Benevolent Society with it.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »
Don't start me on that one jean or my language will be worse than als. As of this year I have been contributing  every working day for 40 years to such causes ! ! I know 2 firemen that retired on full pensions after 20 , or was it 25, years service . I said dont start me  .... ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:48:07 PM by richard »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
I think it is only fair that the Firemen should get a good pension.  How could they be expected to do such a strenuous and dangerous job after the age of 55?
There are no jobs other than strenuous ones in the Fire brigade.

I know that if I wanted the same pension conditions as Firemen (and other civil servants) I would have to contribute 25% of my wages for my working life.
I think the Firemen only have to pay 8%.

Who pays the other 17%?

My friend Nick was a fireman - retired at 55.  Luckily he was able to continue his long term building business in his retirement.  He was still fit enough!

I am not bitter about my choice of career - honest.

Ho Ho Ho, and me with no pension to speak of.