Author Topic: Tourette windscreen mystery continues!  (Read 25012 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Tourette windscreen mystery continues!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »
Dear Bob

I was once told The secret of cutting flat laminated glass sheets is to score one sheet, pour a little lighter fluid into the crack and light it so it melts the central plastic sheet then snap the second sheet on a straight edge. This only works for straight cuts. How you do it with a curved cut I hate to think.

The article is coming together well

Chris Thomas

Interesting. Peter has never talked me through exactly how he does it but I dare say there are more than one method. He is not back in England for six months but I will ask him on his return.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
Laminated screens are cut with high pressure water apparently.

That's not what we saw!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Edgy things.

Shot in the dark, NSU/Necker 1100/1300 Fiat.
I've got to hand it too you Al, this Fiat 1200 of 1957 has a screen very similar!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
Dear Bob

You may be lucky. Smith brothers of Purley were Fiat agents and they were the company that converted Fiat Tipolino to convertibles, so it would have been easy for Carr Brothers to get Fiat screens. However if that was the case the markings on the glass would show an Italian glass manufacturers name

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
Good point Chris. Both the original screens that survive are British. I still think the speed boat screen theory has some credence. Its just as well I don't have a Tourette really isn't it!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
If its any help at all I could , at the weekend measure a standard pre-war Fiat Topolino screen Bob - see my Flikr stream or search my topic of Topolino on here
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:08:55 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
I thought they were flat?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:28 PM »
Can't remember and I am mobile this week but you could see  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
Yes, they are flat. The Fiat 1100/1200 is 1957, much later.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »
I was thinking German version - would that be Italian glass. What did Carr Brothers deal in? Might be a car, like the schmitt, that was imported as a knock down kit and finished here to avoid taxation. Possibly how the suspension came to their attention in the first place. The pattern manufacture of screens would have been pretty quick as they are not an easy to transport item and offer an easy under pricing of original parts, even Fiat! Is the Tourette a laminated screen, these were not as common in '57. Spec for UK might have been toughened glass, or vice verse.

Speed boat is possible. I am trying to think of a car that had a boat screen and forgotten what it was. Something like a Silhouette. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:22 PM »
I was thinking German version - would that be Italian glass. What did Carr Brothers deal in? Might be a car, like the schmitt, that was imported as a knock down kit and finished here to avoid taxation. Possibly how the suspension came to their attention in the first place. The pattern manufacture of screens would have been pretty quick as they are not an easy to transport item and offer an easy under pricing of original parts, even Fiat! Is the Tourette a laminated screen, these were not as common in '57. Spec for UK might have been toughened glass, or vice verse.

Speed boat is possible. I am trying to think of a car that had a boat screen and forgotten what it was. Something like a Silhouette.
The Tourette had a toughened screen. Don't understand your comment on the suspension? Are you talking about Schmitt, Tourette?? They are not connected.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 10:37:02 AM »
Thought Tourette had Knott front bits. Or is this a problem related to none original cars confusing folk? I mean all real Peels had Citroen seats, didn't they. Ho hum.

Anyway the principle is some cars did not arrive on these shores in a driving condition, ducking a taxation band. Importers, trade contractors or dealers had to assemble the final parts from the kit into a car. It sounds like Carr Brothers were precisely the sort of firm to do this, even as a contractor, as they had ideas beyond flogging a few cars.
The legal situation still exists today, as far as I know. If you sell a complete running car with certain items removed to be fitted by the buyer, or his agent, you are not responsible for the ongoing condition of that car. I knew two traders who did this after attempts of being sued over issues they claimed was not their fault. There was a period when traders were targeted for stings to get easy money on ill considered new legislation by the criminal element. Clearly they were not tending to sell to the general public, thou they would, and they offered some very good bargains. This was the same bit of legislation but without the tax implication.
So assembling these kits of bits was not the gravy train it looked like, as clever contracting meant the original manufacturer off loaded much of his liability and risk, while still controlling the marketing and gaining a favorable market price reduction. A minor sort of franchising. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 11:29:10 AM »
The suspension on a Tourette is coil over shock from a BSA A10 and alike as seen on this photo. It was only the brake drums and hubs that were Schmitt. I understand where your coming from though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:39:35 AM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
So still better than Tri Tech  ;D.

Looks like its nearly there.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »
Anything is better than Tri tech!