Author Topic: Trojan Tyres  (Read 10126 times)

Stef

• Occasional
  • Don't burst my Bubble World!
Trojan Tyres
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
So, finally got a Trojan 1962 and she needs tyres.

Any advice?  What size/s do I need, best options etc?  Not collected the car just yet but I'm preparing for MOT and even if she does pass with her old tyres I wish to replace with new ones :)  As a total newbie I'm bound to have a host of dumb queries over the next few months!

Thanks

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Trojan Tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:07 PM »
Hello Stef, nice car! Are you in the Heinkel-Trojan club? I recommend it highly and got my Trojan's tyres and many other parts from them. Don't forget to register it on RUM too!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
HTC Ltd best source. Its an obsolete size unless you buy Trelleburg from Tony Etheridge, but they are v
expensive. 145, or 5.20 in old money, section will not fit.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »
Thanks!

Seems to be an error with the Heinkel-Trojan club website :(

Big Al, I presume ' 145, or 5.20 in old money, section will not fit.' is the size??  Not sure what you mean by section will not fit.  HTC search only brings up mobile phone links too...

More confused now!!!  ::)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:59 AM »
145 is the section width. The wheels are obviously 10 inch. So a Mini tyre will not fit as it fouls on the suspension casting. I have had cars with spacers to get round this but they still catch the wheel arch, put extra strain on the wheel bearings, and of course a spacer on the rear wheel means its no longer central. Does the car run well on radials. Yes, up to a point, but the extra drag of the tyres slows down speed, and you have no warning of handling issues, as the level of grip is so much increased. On the smaller crossplys you tend to hear the tyres scuffling and that is a clue to back off. I think the car is better off radials, unless they be suitably narrow section.

There used to be a Kings tyre and a Bridgestone, both 4.00 by 10, that fitted OK, but the section, though bulking up well, is narrow. I believe HTC Ltd uses Uwe Staufenburg to resource tyres, as the Goggo saloon shares the size. HTC Ltd seems to have lost the thread a little, as they have not published rally details either, unlike them.  I would have been seeing Nick Haddon this evening, who does their spares, but I am buying and moving Appleton Rutherford Labs library shelving tonight, bargain.  I believe the Mem Sec is one Grant Kearney, contributor to this Forum?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
This link seems to work for me:

http://www.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/

Stef

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
Seems to be working for me now too.  Must of been a temporary glitch...  :P

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
For Bias Ply tires, they should be 4.40x10 size
The only Radial equivalent is 145Rx10 but these are a bit "fatter" and should be avoided for the reasons AL has pointed out.

The Goggo "limo" uses the 4.40x10
The Goggo "coupe" uses the 4.80x10

The 4.40 is also used by the Vespa400 and until recently there was a 4.40x10 sold in Europe that was actually a 4.80x10 with different lettering (don't remember the brand).  This was not an issue for many vehicles, but turned out to be a problem for Vespa400 in particular as when the car had passenger(s) and took a turn, the tire would impact the front fender.  Someone in the US had proper sized 4.40x10 tires made (BF Goodrich Silvertown is the brand), but they are not cheap.  They may be available through www.Goggomobil.com

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
Amazing that tyres could reach the point of being sold with the incorrect dimensions moulded into them!

In case you are wondering Stef, Bia ply is cross ply in English and tires means tyres. ::)

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:03 PM »
Bia ply is cross ply in English and tires means tyres. ::)

so what is Bia Ply?  speak English my good man!   ???

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »
Oh Jim, you're "Biased"! (Hope that does not make you "Cross". And now I'd better Tread carefully.

Stef, it is important to get the right size (as Al hinted earlier). No Heinkel-Trojans are exactly identical and many have limited clearance between the front tyres and the wheel arches. The tyres (sorry Jim, TIRES!) must clear the arches for the FULL range of steering and suspension movements.

When I restored my Trojan and fitted Trellies they did rub at some positions and I had to do a bit of filing on the arches to get the m right!.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
Wotto dear boy!
You have to have grown up and lived here all your life Jim to appreciate that we just refer to them as cross ply tyres. Say bia ply to the man in the street and he would shrug his shoulders. Come to think of it say cross ply and the current generation who have only known radials will also give a strange look.
Americans speaking English, not on your nelly! ;D ;D ;D

This link may help, Jim. http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=bias-belted-tyre
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:34:10 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »
and don't even think of getting Jim talking of Trojan rubbers - quite a different matter !!  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
Chortle!