Author Topic: villiers 3 speed and reverse gearbox  (Read 10858 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: villiers 3 speed and reverse gearbox
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
I remember seeing my cousins ITA school books when I was young and wondering how the hell could it help to make it easier to learn to read English when half of it's written in a foregin language. Still, it doesn't seem to have done them any harm in the long run.

I'm pleased Al highlighted the fact that you can't be "a bit dyslexic" and that like dyscalculia and other related issues, while you can find ways to cope, they can't actually be cured. One of the psychologist's I've heard talk about these various types of developmental disorders believes that although we classify them as disorders in our civilised societies, they're really all part of our diverse human makeup and in more primitive times might allow some people to thrive as warriors or leaders while others organised more practical domestic issues or rebuilt Gordons.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
or did neither - like me  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:04 PM »
I remember seeing my cousins ITA school books when I was young and wondering how the hell could it help to make it easier to learn to read English when half of it's written in a foregin language. Still, it doesn't seem to have done them any harm in the long run.

I'm pleased Al highlighted the fact that you can't be "a bit dyslexic" and that like dyscalculia and other related issues, while you can find ways to cope, they can't actually be cured. One of the psychologist's I've heard talk about these various types of developmental disorders believes that although we classify them as disorders in our civilised societies, they're really all part of our diverse human makeup and in more primitive times might allow some people to thrive as warriors or leaders while others organised more practical domestic issues or rebuilt Gordons.

The ITA thing does not resolve dyslexia. Spelling is not the issue. Its not recognizing the need to subdivide a word pixel in the first place. Its a bit like French. It is actually pretty useless to learn the names of things in French without also learning the defining initial Le or La. They are key to placing the word into the French language system of male/female tenses and be understood. Teaching is about recognizing these gatekeeping facters and including them in the initial process of learning. Sadly we are not all the same and kids respond to differing systems so one does not fit all.  Once we have all the kids understanding a common code, we call ours English, you can move onto facts and concepts.
For writing it is assumed we all will right from left to right across the page, go back and start again. Why would we? Try Rongo rongo, it is still writing but the bonces do not understand it. Try giving it to some educated unusual and see what they come up with. Will not happen as those tittled as dyspraxic, autistic, dyslexic etc are meant to be daft.

Taking up on the other interesting factor I think the Egyptians, and there like, looked for the autistic and other oddballs. They took them into the priesthood, trained them and these people become human computers, memory banks and problem solving tools for the society. Controlled by the priesthood leaders. They would be somewhat untouchable and hidden away as they represented a valuable resource. This would mean writing was not really needed and only a break in continuity of the system threatened the collective facts and systems. Is this not why some societies collapsed so fast as a revolution or invasion destroyed the 'mentats' as Frank Herbert christened them in Dune. Without access to them the whole system regressed to an earlier and more basic standard of living, even to reversion to the stone age. After all we are fast approaching this very situation with computers. Turn them off and I really wonder if the younger generation could survive. I am pretty sure those over 50 would, save age starts to count against them.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20:32 AM »
That raises another interesting question - what sex is your microcar ? I have looked under and behind my Gordon and it's very hard to tell . I used to have tortoises and they were troublesome too !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
If  its always nagging in the back of your mind its female.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
ITA method of reading, Richard that rings a bell.  My son Andrew's spelling was put into reverse by virtue of the fact he was taught to read via the ITA method in spite of the fact he could already read the normal Janet & John books by the time he went to school, having being taught by his older sisters.  He too is fifty and  it was a system of phonetic reading with a 24 letter alphabet.  I found it almost impossible to read myself  let alone help my son to understand it.  It was introduced at that time to help the foreign immigrants to learn English more quickly we were old! Jean
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:07:28 PM by Jean »
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 08:18:48 PM »
you've got to a t jean  :)