Author Topic: MMMmmmm  (Read 7373 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
MMMmmmm
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
 :-\
I need to stop buying!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: MMMmmmm
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
They look very stylish

But without a very smooth road they are a bit hard on the old rear end. With almost solid tyres and almost no suspension, you can imagine.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
Refuse to come into my ownership despite many attempts. Looks like a car with some potential.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
Is that refuse or refuse al ? Hmmmm
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
This one is slightly different to the standard Mini El's.
I need to stop buying!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
In what way? Please do tell.

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:12:26 PM »
Well this one was converted to a diesel engine, which took part in a Shell challenge at one time. I'm sure i have a newspaper cutting or something. It has a little 200cc Yanmar engine fitted.
Unfortunately it was well gone when i bought it, so we just replaced like for like.
I test drove it at the weekend   :(, not good.
For a small diesel it purrs away quite the thing, however, the front wheel was in a small pothole and i couldn't get out on a standing start. Once it's going and unto 20-30 MPH it goes sweet.
My home town sits on a hill, if i have to stop on a hill for someone turning right, i would have to have the engine screaming to be able to move forward. Not good.

So i've taken the decision to remove the new diesel engine and fit something like a 250cc scooter engine, maybe even something from a quad, so we can have reverse.
I need to stop buying!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:51:01 PM »
Why not reinstate it as electric?

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »
I really liked the fact that it was a different Mini El Bob. Quite a bit of work had gone into converting it to run on diesel. Plus Electric really isn't my thing.
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:51:34 AM »
Might be the Original Mini Shell. Is it not a Mini Del at the moment?

Not all Mini El are Mini El either. Several production sources. I was under the impression there was a ICE version from early on.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Well this one was converted to a diesel engine, which took part in a Shell challenge at one time. I'm sure i have a newspaper cutting or something. It has a little 200cc Yanmar engine fitted.
Unfortunately it was well gone when i bought it, so we just replaced like for like.
I test drove it at the weekend   :(, not good.
For a small diesel it purrs away quite the thing, however, the front wheel was in a small pothole and i couldn't get out on a standing start. Once it's going and unto 20-30 MPH it goes sweet.
My home town sits on a hill, if i have to stop on a hill for someone turning right, i would have to have the engine screaming to be able to move forward. Not good.

So i've taken the decision to remove the new diesel engine and fit something like a 250cc scooter engine, maybe even something from a quad, so we can have reverse.

Scott. I think from your description you have R6i5 the Mini El once owned by Harold Marflet who in 1993 took part in the Shell Mileage Marathon and wrote about the event in RCN 40.  Prior to that the Mini-El was featured in RCN26 by Henry Rutgers, a Dutch enthusiast who had visited the factory in Denmark.  Later the car was built under licence in Hythe in Kent and called the City-El. If your car is in fact R615  I have a lot of history from Mr.Marflet which you may be interested in before you start your refurbishment. Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:40 PM »
Hi Jean, my car has a Reg of E832, so not the original Shell challenge vehicle. This may have been used as a back up car or a prototype. If it was the original car, then i would leave the diesel engine as is.
I need to stop buying!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 04:42:36 PM »
Scott, when you say your car has a Reg of E832 where is that number coming from?  All RUM registrations are prefaced by an R and it does not appear to be long enough for a DVLA Reg. number. Jean
Jean

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
Hi Jean, you are correct, i gave you the first part of the Registration number. The full reg number is, E832JHJ. Does that match your records?
I need to stop buying!

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:54:30 PM »
Sadly, no but Harold's car whilst he owned it was A14HEM, Chassis S00204 which as I have said before is the more important identification number, Registration numbers can change as in fact did Harold's, which had been previously E311 JHJ, intriguingly close to yours. Jean
Jean