Author Topic: Fade away?  (Read 39210 times)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Fade away?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2014, 07:01:21 PM »
Dear All,  For everyone's information,  I have numerous copies of many of the back issues from RCN 47 onwards and would very much like to sell them, I need the space.  They have been advertised by Chris several times in current editions but very few people seem to want them.  I agree if we could only sell them it would bring much wanted revenue .  We can advertise them in the current issues and on the web site but we can't make people buy them.  Chris even publishes an alphabetical list of cars covered in which issue in the hope someone may be interested.

So indeed a lot of back copies are available, unfortunately only those produced  on Chris's watch and some of those from Tony Marshall's time have digital masters,  Those Mike Shepard produced have paper master's but sadly no masters were kept of  the very early ones, so there is a problem filling in any gaps . I do however have a complete set of RUMCAR NEWS from RCN1 to date in the archive from which  the missing issues could be copied in some way, but what is the point of setting up a system if no one buys them?

The same thing applies to merchandise, in the 1990's I bought in  key rings, licence holders, car badges as well as windscreen stickers but they did  not sell very quickly in fact I still have some key rings in stock today.  Once again these have been advertised in RUMCAR NEWS  too. A capital outlay which has taken over 20 years to recoup, so we don't feel inclined to order more. Another enthusiast arranged on behalf of RUMCARS for tee shirts and sweat shirts sporting the Rum logo to be produced on a made to order basis, so there was no initial outlay apart from the art work this time.  These too were advertised, but the up take was so small the supplier withdrew his offer!

Given these facts can you wonder why we feel we are flogging a dead horse. If we had more subscribers the magazine could be produced more cheaply. If each  current subscriber made a point of showing off their magazine and got one new member that would be great.  Chris and I just don't know what more WE can do to whip up enthusiasm because we need your physical help to carry the ideas through.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
Well as said before Jean, Steve is willing to sell some magazines at the USA car show and i'm willing to pay £100 for the postage.
I'm waiting on you getting back to me regarding a full order of what back issues you can get between you and Chris and i will pay the money with a small donation on top.

Now here is something else, how about making a list of all the back issues not available, lets say it's 10, how about getting a price to have some reprinted, obviously the more printed the cheaper they are, i will sponsor 1 issue being reproduced. Rumcars gets all the money brought in!
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »
Again ignoring time issues.

It is possible to now scan text into a program that recognizes text. It will make a best guess and you then have to proof read and  edit the text, but it is far, far faster than inputting raw text and better quality than scan and bang. A similar program can clean up diagrams. There is not much that can be done with low image quality, though. So a clean set of magazines is possible in an ideal world. The world is not ideal and I can only see such a major redraft happening if someone dedicates to the task. You never know.

Given time I might get these programs and sort out some stuff I want to do. If I get the hang of it I might be able to do other stuff in the off season. But with the work in hand that is 3 years away I think.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Dear Friends Of Rumcar News

Since I have taken over as editor of RCN, I have been sent by Tony Marshall the digital masters of various of the issues that he produced. From these I have been trying to rebuild the magazines to build a digital archive in both the original desk top publishing format and in pdf format, which will be accessible for longer.

The problem with the files I have been sent is that many only give me half of the magazine, as the way Tony and Lynn produced the magazine was that half was on one computer, and the other half was on another computer, as putting it all on one computer firstly was too big for the computer ram size, and secondly it allowed them to print the magazine on two A3 printers at the same time, speeding up the printing process.

The other problem is, that while you are working on the magazine all the images are not held in the main file but read the image files. But when complete you save it all by embedding the images and fonts before you send it to the printer. As Tony was doing the printing, this was not always done, so with a lot of the files I have, they have the words, and the layout, but the fancy fonts used are missing, along with most of the images. This means to rebuild the editions each page has to be rebuilt, by finding or rescanning the images, and finding and resetting all the text in the right font and point size. For 32 pages, rebuilding one edition can take up to 50 hrs. For some issues I have taken a copy from my archive and just scanned the page and pasted it into place, . This is very easy and quick, but does not produce such a clear text or bright colour images for the pictures. It also ends up a bigger file size. Other pags I have completely retyped the text. I have tried optical character recognition, and was impressed with the results. Between producing the four magazine issues a year, I try and rebuild four old issues, dependent upon which ones Jean has run out of, and which ones have been requested.

My long term aim is to have all the magazines available in pdf format, so Jean does not need to hold any paper copies at all. From the pdf copy our printer will print off single copies on request, so we can then provide back issues on demand, either printed paper copies or digital copies.

As you will appreciate re-establishing the archive in a digital format is a slow process. We have a few issues from the 70's, all of the 80's none of the 90's and half of the 100's and all of the 110's. Pre 75 there are no digital masters so they will have to be scanned copies into digital.

You can imagine that if Jean was to hold 10 printed copies of each back issue with 120 issues to date, the stock of back issues would be 1200 copies, each worth about £4, would mean a stock value of say £4800. Stock on the ground takes up space and costs money. Take into consideration that with a magazine that is 30 years old, the early copies will have been sitting for 30 years waiting to be sold which again is funds that could have been earning interest in a bank.

I am certain that the long term plan is sustainable, and allows for the fact that in years to come printed paper copies may well be a curiosity, much like the 78 rpm record is today.

If only I could devote all my waking hours to running the magazine, but unfortunately work and home life get in the way.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
Earning interest in a bank? Which one? - I take your point though. Liquidity is important in a low fund organization.

Indeed RUM is fortunate to have someone doing this level of archive investment. It is to be applauded. Text recognition should be the quickest way, but as I said, and you confirm, scanned images are the problem, after shear time to revise the data.  For me unusual fonts are of less importance in a reprint, over the content. However you have set a standard to which you wish to work and really should stick to it if its possible.

Big Al
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
With the greatest respect to all of your hard work Chris, I think there is a quick solution in advance of any detailed rebuilding of text data.

The most important thing is to make the archive of magazines available to read.
This is best achieved by scanning whatever missing masters there are and outputting as pdf's  Job done!

Is there any real need to get the old magazines back into editable format - word etc.?
They will never need editing as they are what they are - as published.

The quality of the pdf can be quite high if the scanning settings are chosen carefully.

I use Adobe Illustrator for graphics but have a stock of over 8,000 fonts from Corel Draw.
I tend to scan as colour jpg files at high resolution (masters) then convert to pdf using 'Scansoft Paper Port'.  The resulting files can be big but not too big whilst retaining good quality.

Pdf files can be edited in illustrator so any picture files could be put back in but I really don't think its worth the time and trouble.
I am pretty sure most people would be only too happy to receiuce a good scanned copy printed, or the pdf so that they can print it if they want.

People have said that we all prefer hard copy.  Personally I prefer digital as its easy to file, easy to find and doesn't take up any space.

It is a great challenge to get every magazine back to original text in editable form but is it worth the effort.
I am not belittling your fantastic work but just questioning the amount of effort required and timescale.

I have an A3 scanner if anyone needs large scans.
I have an A4 photo scanner which can scan film, slides and negs - I am happy to help anyone out if they have slides that need converting to digital but my time is limited and I need to work.

Attached jpg from a slide that my local farmer had in his draw - Debenham Suffolk.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:21:39 PM by Barry »

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
Holding stock is always a risk for any business, club, group of friends etc. Indeed stock levels (get it wrong and left with excess) has been the demise of many a business!

But limited edition promotional items not only bring in much needed cash but it's a good way to promote RumNews, RumCars forum. How else can you do it? Well i guess you could take Steve and myself's offer of getting some of the old back issues in a box and getting them mailed to the USA? So then you have got in some much needed cash and hopefully some promotion out of it, even if you only get 1 new subscriber, it's not cost Rum anything?

Now as for a limited edition merchandising, i've muted the idea around in my circles only from yesterday and have orders of 6 coffee mugs, on the back of that i would take another 6 Mugs, to keep and sell to visitors to my place.
So 12 mugs sold without even trying minimum of £1-£2 per mug clear profit to Rum, not much but that is without even trying.

So without having to keep stocks, put a post on here and also something in the mag, put a cutoff date for orders, 20-30 mugs sold, some much needed cash in with very little effort.
Call it the 2014 celebration mug.
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
With the greatest respect to all of your hard work Chris, I think there is a quick solution in advance of any detailed rebuilding of text data.

The most important thing is to make the archive of magazines available to read.
This is best achieved by scanning whatever missing masters there are and outputting as pdf's  Job done!

Is there any real need to get the old magazines back into editable format - word etc.?
They will never need editing as they are what they are - as published.

The quality of the pdf can be quite high if the scanning settings are chosen carefully.

I use Adobe Illustrator for graphics but have a stock of over 8,000 fonts from Corel Draw.
I tend to scan as colour jpg files at high resolution (masters) then convert to pdf using 'Scansoft Paper Port'.  The resulting files can be big but not too big whilst retaining good quality.

Pdf files can be edited in illustrator so any picture files could be put back in but I really don't think its worth the time and trouble.
I am pretty sure most people would be only too happy to receiuce a good scanned copy printed, or the pdf so that they can print it if they want.

People have said that we all prefer hard copy.  Personally I prefer digital as its easy to file, easy to find and doesn't take up any space.

It is a great challenge to get every magazine back to original text in editable form but is it worth the effort.
I am not belittling your fantastic work but just questioning the amount of effort required and timescale.

I have an A3 scanner if anyone needs large scans.
I have an A4 photo scanner which can scan film, slides and negs - I am happy to help anyone out if they have slides that need converting to digital but my time is limited and I need to work.

Attached jpg from a slide that my local farmer had in his draw - Debenham Suffolk.

Yes, having a manipulative version of this information is useful for the long term, as it is not just a copy of itself, but archive information. It can be later be altered and re edited for advancement of fact, language and use.

Screen clashed or low quality resourced pictures have not the depth of clarity to image enhance. While not a criticism of magazine production, it is a fact of the production methods that low grade images are in older magazines. Without access to the original or source image no quality image will be possible for images beyond a certain state. It was ever a problem of print production, in which I worked, that artwork arrived to press with inadequate image quality.

The second paragraph substantially justifies the first. As later the missing imagery might be found or enabled, thus it can simply be included rather than the entire record reprinted from scratch, again.

It is a time issue. Do it at all. Do it. Do it well and create an investment opportunity of increased value of your time. The third way is the best, if it can be done, hence applause.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
I have received the package of 35 magazines, and banner in piecemeal w/o damages.
Big THANKYOUS to Milnes for donating the expensive postage, and Jean for having to spend a couple of hours to work it all out with DHL. ;D
I had also spent a couple of hours researching shippers, and had also decided upon DHL prior to this.
If it were just going to be shipped from one end of the US to the other, we have an amazingly cheap US postal 3 day unlimited weight for a 5" x 10" x 12" package @ an $18  rate.  That's right, if you don't set off any Geiger counters you could fill that sized box with spent plutonium, and still get it shipped anywhere in the country.  But going overseas its a whole different ball game, and evidently from your side of the pond postage rates are never a bargain.

I've been working non stop trying to get my cars ready, and have of course run into the expected unexpected snags.
First casualty is that my most modern and high performance micro, and up until now most reliable micro- the Autozam AZ-1 appears down for the count.  Another victim of modern alcohol containing fuels going bad.
I just put in a new battery,  gallon of high test, and gas treatment, and got it all shined up nicely, but barring an overnight miracle, it is down for the count, and too heavy to push up ramps on to my trailer.

After 9 months looking for Mincomtesse clutch parts, and dealing with a non starting engine, I literally got it all together, and engine running after typically needed tank and fuel valve removal and clean out, and new fuel line and carb rebuild.   However it will have to be carried over my garden path from my bedroom patio to the trailer, as the replacement  unit was sent with the 2 speed centrifugal clutch elements reversed, and after spending a couple of hours very cafefully, but necessarily vigorously tapping them over my damaged crankshaft splines, and securing them with red locktite to help compensate for the spline galling, I don't know how I will ever get them back off.

It is just now getting light out.  Back to work on the others.  Wish me some good luck, I'm giving it my all to make a good draw to the Rumcars booth.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:39:45 PM by steven mandell »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »
Hope it all goes well Steve and that you sell a few subs. My only fear is that it may spell another mass exodus of cars from these shores. Hope not as they are hard enough to find now for us as it is.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
Spent another 12 exhausting hours, and $100 repaying friends for helping get 6 cars to the show today.
Three wheel car transporting on a big 2 ramp trailer can be a bit challenging to say the least, especially when the track of a car is less than the space between ramps!
At one point just after my engineer friend assured me that the front wheel of the Minicomtesse couldn't fall through- it did just that.  Thank goodness for the 2 front training  wheels that caught the side ramps after it only dropped about 8".
I also had a panic attack, when after months of work, I could not find the Petite's key.  We ended up laboriously pushing it aboard, requiring another trip- only for me to remember just before going to bed that the key is not needed to run the engine!
Don't yet know how the spatial allocation is to work today.  Will try for a couple more cars getting there today, and to get a good position for the booth.  Still haven't worked out how to get the individual 8" x 11" pieces of paper that spell RUMCARS NEWS together for display.  But will give it my all later today
Thank you for your support,
Steve

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
Now for a bit of cotroversy ! why not ? Is it possible that RUM has lost it's way ? I am a vintage / Classic enthusiast and I believe , prepared to be told I am wrong - back it up though , the older RUM readership were . I dropped out when Tony started to feature more modern vehicles . Chris has the same angle possibly , just possibly , the readership don't want it - discuss.
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
I am not in favour of lots of discussion on modern micro-cars unless they are unusual or unique in some way.
But
We cant just say they are not micro-cars if they do fall within the scope.  What is the scope?  (not that one again I here everyone shout)
I don't want a formal (rolling) shut-off date but perhaps an informal agreement on what is unusual and what in relationship to newer vehicles.

The there are really old vehicles from the 20's etc?

Some would prefer a quite narrow time-scale from about 1953 to 1967 perhaps - 'real micro-cars' born from necessity?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:17:59 PM by Barry »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
I would favour a vintage microcar  magazine but we do have to consider the next generation who in a few years may look back nostalgically to the Funtech of there teenage years. Remember, when rumcars started some of the now classics were not that old, Bondbugs for example.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
Agreed . I only ask as I , and perhaps others ? , feel increasingly out of step . Indeed I feel more in common with Villiers powered Invacars ! Than I do with electrical or diesel modern 4 x 4's and suchlike . Is it not them that are taking over RUM.Is  it not that there should be a quite seperate movement for them ! Perhaps , to my  mind that RUM should be concentrating on Historic UM's - perhaps RHUMS ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977