Author Topic: My First Microcar Build  (Read 43086 times)

plas man

• Quite Chatty
Re: My First Microcar Build
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 03:52:18 PM »
Check out the much maligned Bond 875 front assembly. If only that came with Citroen 'look round the corner' headlights!

Hey carefull  ;D ... last time mine was MOT (Reliant garage) front wheel into the rollers , brake applied the thing came up from the rollers , after reassuring the tester and explaining the floating back plate  I was given a MOT .
Thing to check on the Plas is the bend on the downtube , prone to corrosion and splitting .

Alan

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »
Jean

An interesting thought..and one that could apply to any replica or even to a reconstructed vehicle.

The plate has a different character ‘T’ as a prefix for the VIN number .. this is etched into the metal so tamper proof. (original cars used D, E etc) and  it will be recorded as a replica in the Peel register.  I hope that will give you some comfort.

I personally don’t see any difference with this to for example fitting a replica Trident badge on the bonnet and a Peel Engineering badge on the dash or indeed showing ‘Peel Trident‘ on number plates fitted to the vehicle all of which I’ve seen on replicas.

The registration document will not record the car as manufactured by Peel but the marque of the donor vehicle which in my case is a Truimph.

Grommet

Have you already notified Alastair Lauchland the details of this vehicle?  I cannot recall seeing it on the Peel section of the Register of Unusual Microcars which is recognised by the DVLA, or are you referring to the list of Peels that Andy Carter keeps on his website?
Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »
Oh Dear

Im not feeling very welcome here...   :o

I was hoping to share my excitement, experiences and expertise with that of others… perhaps I’m just misunderstood?

Perhaps you cannot accept a replica microcar and will always think of it as a fake or fraudulent even if it is presented as a replica.

The answer is NO I haven’t notified anyone yet, but will in due course I was seeking to reassure you of my intentions as you seemed alarmed.

There is however a clue in the underlined part of my post ... I think it would be a bit premature to register it before it has even been completed!

Grommet

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 08:39:56 PM »
Fear not Mr Grommet. I understood you perfectly. The car is not finished so why would it be registered with anyone of anything! Jean is a little nervous of replica's due to past history but the forum is made up of all sorts with all sorts of likes and dislikes. Be assured you are very welcome and please keep us informed.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:30 PM »
You are welcome grommet , from one builder to another someone once said to me on this forum, just keep the pictures up , following with interest

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
"There is however a clue in the underlined part of my post ... I think it would be a bit premature to register it before it has even been completed"
I am very sorry Grommet I did not intend to make you feel unwelcome, but there has been some misunderstanding in the past that the Peel Register was separate from the Register of Unusual Microcars rather than part of it.  The same thing held for the Nobel and AC sections. Some newbies, still do not understand this.  The only separate Registers as opposed to the one make Clubs that are recognised by the DVLA are the Scootacars and the Friskys, all other unusual cars without one make Clubs come under the blanket of The Register  of Unusual Microcars.  As far as I am concerned all unusual microcars, be they from whatever era, self build one-offs or replicas are very interesting and most welcome.  We like to welcome them into the fold as early as possible so we may share in their progress and keep track of them should they change hands.  Alastair is only too pleased to add  them to the Register with the minimum of information so long as he is kept informed when they are given registration numbers and made road legal etc. This means they have their complete history recorded right from the start, which can be passed on to a new owner should they ever change hands.
So please don't think you are unwelcome, or treated with suspicion or regarded as a fake.  A fake is something that claims to be a genuine original rather than a replica.

Not knowing what part of the country you come from we would love to see your car at our Open Day if you are near enough, just as one day soon we hope we shall have the pleasure of seeing Bob Purton's Bobette and we welcome Steve Fisk's P.50.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 09:39:50 AM »
Jean

Thanks for your reply, that and the other replies makes me feel a lot better!

I’m sorry too if I over reacted …it does seem to be easy to get the wrong impression on forums.

I did understand the situation regarding the registers and will probably provide details to both.

The other being more of a personal list/record rather than an ‘official’ register.

I will certainly give consideration to registering with RUM before it is completed or if I need to sell it for some unexpected reason before completion, this is not something that I had thought about previously.

I’m really enjoying the challenge of the build and hope to have a machine that can be used on completion and maybe I will attend a few shows.  I am keen to come to one of your open days too!

In the end I will have the satisfaction of having fabricated/scratch built myself the majority of my car but will also have the option to try out modifications/improvements as I see fit without having to worry about spoiling an original car.

The Triumph unit is really fun as it is fully automatic, belt drive and pulls surprisingly well.  I think it will be a lot better than the Zweirad motor with its ‘chunky’ installation frame and oily chain drive.

I’ve been whizzing about with it fitted in a T10 scooter and smiling all the time. So it’s ready to fit straight in the Peel when it’s completed. The Triumph has superb brakes so with an additional braked wheel stopping ability should also be good if I get the balance right.

Grommet

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
It begins to become of interest to have a grand Peel showing, where the seemingly endless differing notions of what might underpin a Peel shell could be found in one place. I do not doubt some cross fertilisation might be had as the best ideas get spotted. That improves the breed/half breed, depending on your view point. While I am no fan of replicas, I am a champion of folk doing what they wish, and of anyone who can create something that works out of a pile of mainly inert stuff. Might be a Racing Car, Kit, Classic or Replica. Men in sheds helped make Britain Great.
Still feel there is a place for the Peel and Puddlejumper Show. Maybe out of season and indoors, as most of the cars are small enough to get into a hall. Might be more popular too, a day bubbling our of season near the M1, in the warm, just add Microjumble and surely that could succeed?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
And what about women in sheds?

A few a-peeling photos for those that don't want to trawl the internet.  :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7056e5b6sz9vs7/AACbgPHDl0k4dNdXADBWi3-fa?dl=0

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »
I'm a bit more interested in yours Grommet than others as you have gone the Tina route. As Peel engineering themselves started down that road , you have just carried on and developed it the same way they would have done. Besides I had a Triumph Tina when I was 14. No dog walker was safe over the Cranham brick fields! ;D

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
A few a-peeling photos for those that don't want to trawl the internet.  :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7056e5b6sz9vs7/AACbgPHDl0k4dNdXADBWi3-fa?dl=0

Two pictures show me working on my first P50 in 1976, photos 30 & 31 with a front wheel off cleaning the brakes. Just realised I still have the large chunk of wood holding the car up. I may carve Peel Jack '76 onto it and list it on ebay!!!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:33:08 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
Hi

Following my post on Malcolms thread I have the steering box apart for painting

Hi

The original box is chain driven which makes the offset simpler, I fabricated one for my Trident project.. it took some time but was very satisfying.. Here is pic or 2

You can cee the chain tension adjuster on the rear end
Grommet
That is seriously good , that looks like it was pressed ? Have you got any pictures of the internals ?

The internals are just a 3/8 chain, two sprockets, some bronze thrust/shaft bushes and a brass carrier for the output bolt... I'll do some pics when I strip it down for painting.

Grommet

Here is a pic of the internals as promised...

Note this is my version, Ive not seen inside an original Peel set up..

Grommet
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:46:48 PM by Grommet »

1bubble10 (paul smith)

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 12:03:59 PM »
That looks impressive.
Bamby P50, Piaggio Ape 50

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
Ive been working out the LED bulbs Ill need for my Peel as I was panicking that my 25watt ac generator wouldnt cope!

It runs a 3W tail light and 18W headlight as standard, on direct AC. The ignition is a separate magneto coil.

The system is 6v and I need to go positive earth for the LEP wiper motor I think.

Ive worked out that Ill have around 4 amps total to play with if I convert to a battery system with an electronic regulator/rectifier unit.

The two LED headlamp bulbs will apparently only draw 2.32A total on high beam and the tail lamps 0.05A so it looks like I might even have an amp spare to charge the battery for the intermittent items like indicators, brake lights, wiper motor and washer pump!

Does any one have any experience of Classic Dynamo & Regulators products Before I spend nearly £130 on bulbs? 

I have spoken to them on the phone and they say they will replace any faulty lamps quibble free?

Grommet
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:21:02 PM by Grommet »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
I have used the Dave Lindsey JG electronic regulator on both of my 6 volt Inters and with good results

http://www.davelindsley.co.uk/jg-electronic-regulators.html

Mind you the Westinghouse Gyrostarter puts out better than 25watts!