Author Topic: My First Microcar Build  (Read 43088 times)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Re: My First Microcar Build
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2015, 10:50:07 PM »

The system is 6v and I need to go positive earth for the LEP wiper motor I think.

Grommet
If you are using an original type LEP wiper motor as fitted to a Peel or Bond MkC then its negative earth.

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »
Thanks for that, I've found that its actually the washer pump thats +ve earth. I dont think the 6V LEP wiper motor is polarity sensitive..

Ive finished my Veedol Cap other than drilling the small vent hole..I opted for an aluminium body and nitrile O rings

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:58:30 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 02:13:42 AM »
Hi

Following my visit to the recent Hammond Open Day I have finally worked out the operation of the Trident body prop...this has been bugging me for quite a while but the cam mechanism is really quite simple once figured out...I'm very grateful to the Hammonds and all others involved for an excellent weekend.

The first pic is of an original prop and the second is my replica prop nearing completion.

The cam piece is a silver steel disc at present and will be ground to shape following heat treatment...and will then be riveted in.

It took me three goes to fold the flanged top tube just the right diameter to fit with a good sliding action inside the lower tube..

With each piece completed on this project I'm always amazed how small the various components actually work out...

Grommet

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:45:02 PM by Grommet »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
Cracking post Grommet!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
I was told they used a boot lid stay from an old Jaguar?

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
I'm following this one as the replica she'll I brought come with a gas strut, but I thought that would out strain on the body.

I'm sure we spoke at the Hammond Weekend. I had the green two seater car, but turned back due to the weather.
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
I was told they used a boot lid stay from an old Jaguar?

Yes I think so but it would be a bit expensive to buy a £120000 Jag just for the prop!

Here are some pics of the tube folding;

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:45:59 PM by Grommet »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
I need to pop round and see your workshop as the work you produce is insanely good

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
Steve

Ive been thinking about our discussion on Peel dome blowing.....I might have a go this winter and maybe you can help me when Im ready for a trial run...unless you get there first of course.

Grommet

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2016, 05:05:41 PM »
I saw a jig for making Peel Trident Domes not so long ago.  Have you already got one?

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
No not yet... I do have the flange dimensions for the former though. The intention is to blow it from a flange ring and then press the windscreen face in as they did in the factory (Hence they are all slightly different shape!) and not to use a fully shaped former as are used for the commercially available ones.  The only obstacle I can see at the moment is evenly heating the sheet prior to blowing....I have some ideas on this though....and will have to experiment as I dont have access to a large temperature controlled sheet oven. I'm thinking bottled CO2 might be good for the blowing, although I also have compressed air.

Grommet
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 05:38:56 PM by Grommet »

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:28 PM »
I think the chap who has the jig may be able to lend it to you - it's up to him.

The windscreen area is formed using a shaped bar that sits inside the bubble and is rotated into position once everything is hot and blown to the desired bubble height.

I don't know if the bubble is blown from underneath, pushing the bubble up.  Or perhaps upside down - the bubble hanging under gravity.

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 10:34:48 PM »
To right ! I want to be involved!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
Ah, The dreaded Bubble blower. A black art that involves a funny leg shake.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »

Here are some pics of the tube folding;

Grommet
[/quote]
The way you have shown it, it looks like the only tool used to create the tube was a vice.
Were there really no other tools or techniques required?
Perhaps some narration to accompany the pictures would be additionally useful for those of us wishing to expand our skill set in this direction.
Thanks