Author Topic: My First Microcar Build  (Read 43065 times)

Grommet

• Chatty
Re: My First Microcar Build
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 11:43:39 PM »
Hi

Yes pretty much the vice and a hammer were the only tools used……

The folded channel section was done by hammering the edges both sides over a piece of angle iron, the slight step at the location for the hook was added afterwards in a similar manner.

The channel was then coaxed around the tube shown in the pic with the aid of a big rubber mallet and by hand (it is only 1.2 mm thick steel)… it was then gripped across the two folded upstands and brought together with the vice so that it conformed to the tube and was then straightened in a few places again using the rubber mallet prior to spotwelding.

I have a great deal of amateur experience with sheet metal work so it comes easily to me as I understand where and how much I can hit the metal to get it where I want it..  Most people can do it….it just takes practice and patience.

I also have a guillotine and a spotwelder but the sheet can be cut equally well with tinsnips or shears or indeed using an electric jigsaw...which was used to rough out the hook bracket before it was finally filed to shape by hand files.

I used an angle grinder and 3mm disc to cut the slot in the lower tube....

If there are any other particular techniques you want me to describe..ask away!

Ive been making the aluminium channel for trim around the sliding door today..I will post some pics once I have bent it to shape..

Grommet
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:52:12 PM by Grommet »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2016, 05:41:26 PM »
Thanks for supplying the all important details.
I suspected that there was a hammer somewhere in the process, but I wouldn't have known to use a rubber one, and would likely end up with a lumpier tube as a result.
The spot welds must have been made whilst it was held in conformance by the vice, as metal always has to be over bent to make it want to stay in a newly intended shape.
This means that it has a slight tension locked into its tubular conformatjon.  Might even be a tad stronger for same.

By all means do tune us in on your tricks of the trade, as most of us have little idea of what can be created by applying judicous forces through creative means on metal stock.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 06:58:48 AM »
This arrangement pictured looks to effectively pivot in front of the centre of the wheel, if understand what I am looking at. So it should have a natural tendency to steer straight ahead, be slightly resistive to steering input. Clearly the steering rod length can be adjusted. But as a set up its sets fair. uNLESS THE WHEEL IS ANGLED IN AT THE BOTTOM THOUGH, IT IS TURNING AROUND THE CENTRE OF THE WHEEL, NOT ON THE CENTRE OF THE WHEEL. a SLIGHT COMPROMISE. bUT ONE OF THE OTHER pEEL REPLICAS HAD A MORE MARKED DESIGN THAT DID THIS. wITHIN ITS PERFORMANCE FRAME, IT PROVED NO GREAT PROBLEM, Was that Steve Fisk? i would think the same would be true here. So a reasonable candidate from the ready engineered donor bins of the world.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
Al

I presume you are responding to the first page of this topic...and my proposed steering set up.

Yes you are right that the wheel will turn around the centre of the wheel to some extent although it is very close coupled...and yes it does effectively pivot on a spot ahead of the tyre contact point.

I dont think any of this will be a serious hinderance though..but will find out some time next year when I am hoping to be ready to test drive it.

Grommet

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »
Here are the pics of the aluminium section.

I started with some extruded angle as I couldnt find the correct U channel section.

The angle was squashed together in the vice with a bit of 1/8" plate to keep the gap even.

The outer edge was then filed and rounded slightly and I made an aly wheel to fold the corner radiuses. The tight radius needed the aly to be annealed several times.

The third pic is a try out using the wheel.

Its come out alright and just needs the mounting holes drilling...I will do this when it can be offered up to the body..

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:49:36 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »
Does any one know where I can get 3/16 Whitworth (or 10-24 UNC) Aerotite nuts?...these are for my hinge and canopy fixings and all I have managed to find so far are these castle nuts.. The second pic is the original set up..

Thanks

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:41:49 PM by Grommet »

Michael

• Chatty
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »
Namrick is the company I use.

Didn't see the size your after, but here is a linky anyway.

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/U.N.C._Nuts.html
Locost self build car.
3 Mk1 Raleigh Choppers, 2 Mk2 Raleigh Choppers
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Sinclair C5 Restored
Austin J40 Pedal Car to restore
Peel Trident Replica to build

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »
Thanks for those but I am after Aerotite in particular...I have one lead and have sent an enquiry...

I did find these which are close but they are nearly £3 each!

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:41:37 PM by Grommet »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:47 PM »
Thanks Malcolm and others, I will chase up that lead tomorrow.

Grommet

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »
Looks like a correct pedal assembly.
How did you come about this?
Can we have a closer peek please?

I would like to keep perfect side to side balance, which is so easily offset by having just the driver aboard, as in this case, the driver can easily wiegh as much as the entire 195 lb. car.

Therefore I'd be interested in hearing what your unusually mechanical mind can come up with for creating both a set of pedals, and steering wheel that could be both center mounted relative to the track of the vehicle, and easily capable of being slid an appropriate amount off center towards the stock set up's positioning when taking on the additional wieght, and approximately proportional width of a passenger.

For those less familiar with the stock positioning of these controls, we are only dealing with a total lateral translation of about 8".
Thanks,
Steve

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
Looks like a correct pedal assembly.
How did you come about this?
Steve

Steve i dont understand your question?  If it is where did you get the picture from.. the answer is google...from memory it is the Trident that was only 'half restored' for a while! It is a very un messed with example.

I think that the standard steering box assembly could be moved towards the centre but will clash with the prop if it is dead centre and a longer steering link rod used or the adjusters wound out..(I have about 2" length adjustment on mine). This would only involve drilling two new holes to remount the steering box.  You can see one of the bolts in the above pic...

I received a quote from the Aerotite nut supplier but I am still looking as minimum order is 50 nuts and £140  :o

Grommet
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:48:08 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2016, 02:18:31 PM »
This pic shows how good a fit the Tina engine is in the Peel body!

Grommet

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:52:19 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2016, 02:41:55 PM »
Morris minor core plugs for the pedals  :)

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:43:06 PM by Grommet »