Author Topic: My First Microcar Build  (Read 43078 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: My First Microcar Build
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
Core!  ;D
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2016, 04:49:05 PM »
You are correct that while I was wondering where your pedals came from, I was staring at your picture of an original car, not your own.
The Morris Minor plugs look like a good start, but obviously are the icing on the cake.
We still need to bake or buy the cake.
I have seen many with correct looking pedal assemblies, so have had reason to hope that they will be findable. .
As far as my proposal to make the driver's positioning adjustable laterally across the width of the car -
I was hoping that you would concoct  an arrangement that took advantage of your chain drive steering box's apparently similar amount of offset built in to the length of chain throw that is housed in its case, and could be pivoted about one of its sprocket axis to obtain an equal amount of off center offset, whilst allowing the control point for the steering rods to remain in a stable and stationary position.

This way, you wouldn't even need an Isetta like universal joint just behind the steering wheel to keep the plane of the steering wheel parralell to the face of the dashboard.

I was planning on using two much smaller gas struts to partially counter the offset balance of the wieght of the hood, by mounting these just ahead of the wheel arches, where you hopefully would not feel inclined to slide your feet across whilst entering or exiting the cabin.

Full cable controls to the pedals mounted on some sort of sliding rod or base, and a clever linkage that i haven't quite thought up yet, and one could hopefully get the pedal assembly to go along for the slide / pivoted about steering sprocket arc to follow the steering wheel's commute accros the dash to be both easily and securely locked down at an appropriately offset stance from or at centerline.

Got the idea, but not the nuts and bolts of it yet.
Anyone feel free to chime in with useful suggestions for achieving same.
Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:09:11 PM by steven mandell »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
If you are going a non original route and are happy to cut the body about to form slots etc. Im sure there are many alternatives for what you are trying to achieve...

As far as the cake is concerned I have worked out all of the dimensions for the pedals and now have all the components...I simply need to fabricate it all.

The sizes were obtained by studying pictures etc and comparing with the holes in the body..

An example is this set of replica parts on ebay a while back..

Grommet

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:30:34 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
Here is a typical cable adjuster from ebay..there are hundreds of types...I think the originals are probably threaded 1/4" BSF .... I have already obtained mine and just need to fabricate the flat bar parts...Bear in mind that mine is automatic so only has two pedals  :)

The correct adjuster will also depend on the cable sizes that you end up using.....

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:47:35 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2016, 11:03:49 PM »
Core plugs arrived in the post today so Im now ready for welding and fitting the cable adjusters to the levers.  :)

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:18:25 PM by Grommet »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 07:04:14 PM »
Ive had a go at making an intake grille today..

I have a plastic repro one but its cracked and not very nice.....

The picture is of my first attempt..I will have another few goes but it is difficult to control the metal between the slots and get an even pressing using just crude hand tools..

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:44:57 PM by Grommet »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
I bet it is! It's difficult to suggest ways you might overcome the issues without knowing exactly how you're doing it. Something like an MDF former underneath to provide support?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2016, 01:09:52 AM »
Thanks for your comment..I did think about an MDF support but I didnt think it would hold up under the forming forces involved...I tried a different method to support the centre bars using some Unistrut channel and some rods...

The result is much better say 8/10 and Im using 1mm polished stainless steel this time rather than aluminium as it is more durable..though harder to form.

I will try a couple more to see if i can improve further but the one I have done will be ok for my replica Peel.

Grommet
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:47:15 PM by Grommet »

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2016, 12:30:39 PM »
Sooooooo can I have one please !

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2016, 03:34:30 PM »
Steve

I might end up with some spare ones to dispose of... though I see that youre only 50 miles away... why not bring some steel and you can make your own!

Grommet

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »
Im thinking about my fuel tank now and whether to do it in steel or vinyl ester resin...I like the original idea of seeing the fuel level through the resin...

Has anyone any experience with ethanol proof fuel tanks as I know that ordinary resin is a no-go?

grommet

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:32:53 PM by Grommet »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
A popular trick back in the fifties was to arrange a second outlet at the bottom of the tank, and another near the top, then join those with a length of clear fuel pipe.  That way, the tank is metal, the outlets are properly soldered in, and you can route the pipe somewhere conveniently visible.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
First let me say that your metal fabrication techniques and demonstrated abilities are fantastic, and possibly without peer on this forum.
I still don't get how you managed to make such a great looking stainless steel louvered piece.
I would drive 50 miles just to have the opportunity to find out!
Getting practical experience as an informal apprentice would be over the top.
Too bad there is both the width of a continent an ocean between us.

My brief check on the internet revealed that you are onto something with the vinyl ester base fiberglass tank suggestion, as they do seem to hold up well to the ethanol in today's fuels, whereas polyester resins definitely will not.
My Badsey Bullet prototype's bodywork is constructed exclusively from vinyl ester resins, and I once gave hands on apprentice assistance in constructing a safety cell manufacturer for drag boats, where I was shown to apply the resin with my hands without even using gloves.
I still shudder at the thought that I went along with this some 25 years ago, as it still violates common sense, but it does illustrate the fact that it is relatively friendly stuff, with an easily achievable high level of finish available at relatively low cost.
I can tell you, however, that some 35 years down the road, the Badsey has exhibited considerable creep from the driver's weight reacting on the Badsey Bullet's seat supporting body panels.
   So will work better on things like hulls that have weight distributed evenly  over a larger area, and are not as visually impacted by the creepage, as it would probably be below the waterline anyway.
For a small tank it should be ideal.
Just don't forget to Post cure.

P.S. for the Badsey, I  epoxy/ glass bonded in a moderately large sized and custom contoured plate of wood to a well hidden interior side of the vinyl ester glass panel body work.
I then drilled a pilot hole for a lag bolt that I screwed in length wise into one of the wood panel's edges.  The head of the bolt is attached to a hidden flange on the roll bar at just the right angle to counteract the long panel's direction of sag.
  Every few months I remember to tighten it up just a cinch, thus slowly reforming the long term imposed deformation over time at a pace that it is willing to accept.  It made a good difference from the get go.  Certainly impedes further deformation in the unwanted direction, and if I remember to be diligent, and live long enough, should allow for an eventually fairly competent cure😂.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:51:09 PM by steven mandell »

Grommet

• Chatty
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Steven

Thanks for that useful reply..If I go the resin route I will probably use Atlac 590 resin and the following post cure : 24 hrs at 20°C followed by 3 hrs at 100°C and 1hr at 150°C as recommended by the manufacturer. They have approvals with this resin for underground fuel tanks so I might give it a go anyway as it will be slightly easier than fabricating in steel.

Grommet

Peel replica, Steve Fisk

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2016, 10:51:31 PM »
Said it before but following this with great interest and really nice seeing an active building thread going on , more needed ! I've got a couple of trips coming up so nearer xmas I will get in contact see if I can pop round , cheers