Author Topic: fred dibnah  (Read 4834 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
fred dibnah
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
I grew up with the odd series on TV and later specials featuring the late Fred Dibnah. I know his old house and yard well but had never realised that outside is a board advertising tours by arrangement for groups . I am parked up outside but will have a look tonight on line to see the story . www.freddibnahheritagecentre.co.uk.        Sorry for those who are not familiar Fred was a steeple jack , engineer , steam and vintage enthusiast and as we say oop north a Reet Barmpot !
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:08:11 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: fred dibnah
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:10 PM »
Ded Fribnah OBE, RIP was also a superb draughtsman: in some of his TV programmes he did stunningly beautiful architectural drawings of things like the complex roof structure of the Lantern in Ely Cathedral, with superbly elegant script titles and hand-writing. Big fan here, let us know what you find out!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
Hi marcus thought you might be interested. Website says MBE but I guess it's all on the website .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
My mistake! Squeak and I joke about "Ded Fribnah" since his death, not out of spite, but out of humorous respect, just in case anyone takes offence!

I also love the Mark Williams series On The Rails and Industrial Revelations; Mark W was once one of the comedians on The Fast Show..."oooo, suits you, sir!" and "...which was nice". He's a great presenter, funny but knowledgeable, as is Robert Llewellyn who plays Kryten in Red Dwarf.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
I'm also a fan, though I think Guy Martin of TT fame has firmly set his sights on filling the void left by Fred, he's made some interesting programs and has the same inquisitive mind about all things Victorian.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »
Yup, he's good too!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
a new one on me

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:50:15 PM »
Guy Martin is great, I guess anyone who can fall off at 170mph at the TT and keep smiling has to be an interesting character. A couple of clips from youtube.

112mph on a bicycle
http://youtu.be/wT0eJXtrwHg

Having a go in a Glider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-MQCC1ezM
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »
Guy Martin is great

He certainly is, I liked the The 'Boat that guy built' series, which were a little more akin to the Dibner programs. Probably find all 6 online.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 08:49:01 AM »
He also did the brilliant film on the Isle of Man TT, "Closer to the Edge" - though we get too much information there about his (substitute) sex life!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »
Yeah, 'Closer to the Edge' is a fantastic movie, I always wanted to go to the TT. The documentary 'Charge' narrated by Ewan McGregor is also included in the Dvd Extras, not that I'm a fan of electric machines, but I love the initial skepticism that diminishes during the course of the film, when the bikes start going 100 MPH +

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
I do not doubt Guy Martin could find many a lady on his arm, should he want one. He was making a point about what commitment to a goal means. He has the gift of the gab and a open personality that TV loves. He is himself with a thick accent and like Kieth Floyd there is humour and he makes no claim to be a perfect celeb. I like him over all these shouting heads TV seem to think pass for presenters, including topics Martin and Dibnah do so much better. For one thing they both understand the processes and will have a go with some understanding of what the end result should be. That they succeed is great, but also it magnifies the expertise of the time served skills now fast disappearing.
Dibnah, a classic case of not educated, but knew more than most people because he bothered to find out. The only reason most people are thick is because they are uninterested in what life has to offer or they are lazy. Used to be a nation of Dibnahs. Not sure what we are now, a computer game?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »
I saw Guy Martin being interviewed at the NEC 2012, very entertaining and obviously a great biker and good engineering mind.

Fred Dibnah was extremely talanted and again had a great engineering mind. Not an educated engineer but just had the type of brain that connected with what was being said. I think Guy Martin is an excellent replacement for Fred.
I need to stop buying!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 03:56:10 PM »
Michael Dunlop rather than Guy Martin, but I think this on-bike TT video is well worthy of a look if anyone hasn't seen it and is interested in such things. It's the best quality on-board HD footage I've seen from the TT, I just wish that cameras were as good as your eyes at adapting to different lighting levels. Not much room for overtaking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZG1nhgwgg
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"