Author Topic: lep light  (Read 20700 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: lep light
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
yes but several months away jean !! :D i am at Beaulieu in May and September but not July !!

Beaulieu to us working men in t'North involves working till 5 ish on a Thursday , getting up 4ish Friday morning , setting off on a 5 hour drve to Beaulieu working on Mikes stall all day Friday,Saturday and Sunday and then leaving at 6- 6-30pm for the return journey . work the next morning 6.15 alarm if not earlier .
there is no way i am ever going to manage a trip to yours anytime i am at Beaulieu - it's a gruelling weekend - but yes great fun 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:37:45 PM »
There was me thinking microcars were a hobby, not something to line your pockets. Where did I go wrong?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »
By spotting them as a hobby before everyone else, Rob.

Gordon parts, or any of these odder light units/spares, do not need to be expensive. They become so if known to be fitted to a rare, or desirable, car. Otherwise you are paying the surcharge of a few previous owners of the bits who had the knowledge, or sense, that they were good to keep. Sadly that can really only be short circuited by finding the parts directly from fresh sources. That is what I used to enjoy doing. If you make a pastime out of doing that then it becomes clear you have to sell to make space for new stuff you want more than the old. Its clear to see how many a jumbler fell into trade. Once trade then your fiscal compass does alter a little.
I am not sure where we are now but there seems to be more people looking for fewer parts. The thing I do not understand is the demand for certain parts where the stored sets of parts must be many times the number of surviving cars to place them on. Most of these 'enthusiast' owners who have these extra parts tucked away are vehement that they are not trading, yet will hold out for 'the going rate' never having owned a car the units should be on. All rather strange really, unless they are trading in their spare time. Those campervans do cost a lot of money.

I find it interesting that the French are pretty secretive about their autojumbles. With good reason, or I think the vultures would descend and buy up all the shiny fridge bits and the price of what was common will become high, driving the whole market up beyond that comfort zone a lot of folk have where they potter with cars. This certainly happened in Germany, I was part of it, where you could find maybe 20 foreign buyers with up to £1,000s to invest in parts. It set me up in my chosen brands of cars and looking back I wish I had spent and bought more. No good news to newbies coming in now though. Germanys overstock of Microparts is pretty much at an end. Jumble prices are often at a level were you must need the part, if you can find it.

Having had those easier days, I cannot be bothered with Beaulieu now. Not been to Mannhiem for half a decade. I am pleased that folk still enjoy the ramble through other peoples cast offs but until I get into something I need parts for I am not motivated to put the sort of effort Richard does to go. And it is the way to do it, I am afraid. I bet even then Richard struggles to see everything on offer in September.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
By spotting them as a hobby before everyone else, Rob.

True Al. Me being simple in the mind never thought that folks would buy the rusty stuff in boxes I saw at my only Beaulieu autojumble trip in 1972-3 but then I did have a raging toothache at the time. My mate bought an Austin 7 special body and we tied it on the top of my old Ford Zodiac to get it home. I just brought back my dried up sandwiches.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »
I quite understand Richard, but you are very welcome to drop in any time, we even ave a campsite!
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
Thanks Jean spoken like a lady  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 08:45:06 PM by richard »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:22 PM »
They're lights. To follow, views of a fan and a big end or a plate of liver.  Help, I've lost the will to live. CLUNK.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:30:43 AM by Rob Dobie »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
Well Rob they sold at the asking price of 150 GBP . If you had a great restoration just missing correct rear lights I reckon you would pay that - albeit grudgingly  :)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
Cor! That was hard work, just climbed out of my tomb.

I have never had a great restoration and have never paid for anything grudgingly. Why pay stupid prices to get your vehicle "correct" when a substitute will suffice in getting the vehicle legal for the road, that is if the said vehicle is ever driven on the road and not hidden away in "a collection" never to be seen by others?

I remember years ago some "know-all" at a vintage gathering looking at my mates Austin seven special that he had just made and telling all and sundry "That's not correct, look all the slots in the screws aren't in line! and it should have a hood" Oh, the rear lights came from a Ford Pop. But it was on the road, all legal.

It's only in the last 30-40 years or so that every thing should be as they came out the factory, all highly sprayed in their shiny synthetic coatings ?!?!?!?!

AAAAAAAH! Help, I've fallen back in my tomb. Left the flipping flap door open. OH! my head. Nurse, "I need a massage"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:43 AM »
Good, nurse!

Did you know what they fitted Richard? Helps pay for Beaulieu, assuming that is where they came from.

Ah, its the value and worth argument. Once things are collectible then the urge to be original becomes overwhelming. It enhances the value. However the worth of the vehicle as a vehicle reduces really. As to knobs who pontificate about specials, its a special 'innit? Its whatever it is. The only real criticism might be parts not from the approx date of the whole, but even that is hard to make stick. My trials car was a Ford based effort, but really it can be anything I want it to be. It has no great value, but plenty of worth, as it will be cheap fun. Probably worth more than a Messerschmitt to drive but maybe £2,500 tops, if someone fancies it on the day.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
No idea al but I wish I had found them ! Just a thought al you didn't think it was me selling - it wasn't anything to do with me
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:17:02 AM by richard »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »
P50 of this Forum rings a bell. Ding Dong.  ;D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:07 AM »
No idea al but I wish I had found them ! Just a thought al you didn't think it was me selling - it wasn't anything to do with me

Oh, I was thinking so and you had had a tickle. Disappointment.
I think I have seen something similar fitted to the rear of a Scootacar Mk1 in extremis