Author Topic: Thumper's out!  (Read 9349 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Thumper's out!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »
Still not getting the C-d-i-r question bob so spit it out
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Ok. I heard a rumour that you may be acquiring a MkC. and as I thought it may have been top secret I used that cunning uncrackable code!   If its true I'm jealous!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
Baldrick had nothing on you bob , cunning plan eh ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »
Seats on the Bond look great. Did you make these? One of my next jobs as the bodywork is nearly done. Any advice very welcome!

I'll probably leave it without the rear hammocks for the time being. Although useful in their day, they'd be unlikely to see much use in my hands and when I heard there was originally a tonneau cover available as an optional extra I thought I might have a go at making one of them somewhere down the line instead and just use the space for storage. The only bit of the front seat that came with the car was a wooden former for the seat back, but I was told that the rear seats from a Mini Traveller would drop in. Unfortunately Mini Traveller rear seats seem to be even less common than Bond seats these days, and I thought getting a proper seat made would probably have meant delaying things, so I resolved to make something myself, temporary or otherwise. I came across the back seat from a Morris Traveller very cheap (£15) and in good nick and never having tackled upholstery before, bought it on the off chance that it might give me a good starting point. I've basically chopped down the innards to fit and contorted the outer covers til it all looks reasonably presentable. The Morris seat base and internals look very robust and the seat feels like it was made for the job. the only difficult bit was contorting the inner wire frame of the seat to reduce the seat's width without destroying its integrity. But a good blow torch, some welding gloves and a couple of hours of metal wrestling was all it took.

The glove box was standard on the Mark C, but wans't fitted on the Mark D. Probably due to something glove related.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
I think both the glove box and an arched seat back were inherited from the A and B . Later C's got no glove box but a handle to help get in and out and a straight topped rear to the seat - more bracing for the body I think ?

Basket case

• Chatty
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
I've got a tonneau cover amongst the pile of parts that came with the car. No idea if it original or any good (not really looked at it) but it might be useful as a pattern.
Busy 2 weeks at work so won't get much done for a wee bit but will try and look at it soon and send you pics. AR.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 10:19:22 PM »
That'd be fantastic, thanks Basket case. You're right about C glove boxes of course Richard. I haven't seen one with an arched seat back, but I can't think of any other reason why they'd change it other than bracing.
Malcolm

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
Seats on the Bond look great. Did you make these? One of my next jobs as the bodywork is nearly done. Any advice very welcome!
I'll probably leave it without the rear hammocks for the time being ... and just use the space for storage.

I'll send you a diagram, of how to make a false floor, without any holes being drilled in the car - you then have a hidden lower layer for battery, tools, oils, etc, and an upper layer for your picnics and shopping!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
Sounds a good idea did you do that on the A dave ? Bigger battery for your starter motor ?

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »
I'll probably leave it without the rear hammocks for the time being ... and just use the space for storage.

I'll send you a diagram, of how to make a false floor, without any holes being drilled in the car - you then have a hidden lower layer for battery, tools, oils, etc, and an upper layer for your picnics and shopping!
Fantastic, thanks Dave
Malcolm

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
Sounds a good idea did you do that on the A dave ? Bigger battery for your starter motor ?

Exactly that reason, Richard!  (And flinging spanners in the back, across those battery terminals, seemed not a good idea ...)